Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have made a fatal (for my waistline) mistake this morning. Half watching James Martin while doing housework. He was making crab beignets made with choux pastry served with lemon mayonnaise. I have only ever made profiteroles in the oven with choux pastry (to be filled with whipped cream and served with lashings of hot chocolate sauce), never anything savoury or fried but these have really appealed to me.

Comment

• afternoon,what an utterly miserable day out there,went shopping and glad to be back,it is so dark and dull,am nibbling away on some marmite peanuts,something a bit different,am hoping to get 40 or more winks shortly,then prepare for some family for dinner later,it is to wet to go out anywhere,have a good afternoon and evening and stay safe
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Afternoon all.
        Dull and overcast here, just as well I had plenty of work for the washing machine and other domestic appliances

Popped out yesterday to buy a birthday card and noticed wilk0s tulip bulbs were half price, so came home with 4 packets of lily flowered ones. I never cared much for lily flowered types until I saw how lovely they look growing in grass. Needless to say, mine will be in the flower bed for now, the one I've removed so many grape hyacinths from. I also picked up some sunflower hearts for the birds, first I've seen this year, plus I couldn't resist these 8cm pompoms -

Click image for larger version

Name:	pompoms.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	2553891 They are for sticking on to gifts, at least they have a sticky tab, like a bow, but on a 1cm string. Beautiful soft, soft, soft faux fur. Not decided what I shall do with them, but they are not going on any parcel.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

• Afternoon, it’s been drizzling here all day so mostly house stuff today and cooking/freezing apples.

Stick those pom-poms on your slippers Mothhawk it’s fun to do something silly now and then

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good evening alL
            The rain that was forecast never appeared so I spent a few hours in the garden.
            Raked up several bags of leaves.
            Cut back some of the dshlias that had died down.
            Found 9 onions still growing in among them, still firm and usable.
            A few sweetpeas that I planted out late in the shade are in blossom.
            Lots more still to do as it's been intended for the last four weeks.
            Have a good night all.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• It's been so warm recently I came across a six-inch-high self-seeded tomato plant this morning while I was out massacring caterpillars. Chilly outside now, mind.

Comment

• Morning all. Me again.

So, we have our first frost of the season. Blowed if I can find the first frost threads using the search facility to record this and check the last year's date, which was very early if I remember rightly. This year is very late. Three weeks or so later than usual. Much as I like a really cold winter, I wouldn't mind later frosts every year. I gave up on the toms and peppers much too early this year after a cold spell towards the end of September. Two lessons to be learned this year: fleece tender plants late September for a week or so and take anti-caterpillar measures.

I have to say, the search facility on this forum is not great (I deleted 'pretty rubbish', as that sounds a bit harsh, but it is closer to the mark). I bet we'd get more people joining as members rather than just dropping in if the search was better.

Did quite a lot yesterday. Not sure if the whiteboard worked in prompting me into action. But it didn't half make me bossy. Got to do this, got to do that... Poor Mr Snoop was quite fed up by the end of the day. Anyway, a new list has been devised. Some of them things I should have done weeks and weeks ago. And still no mincemeat mixture on there...

The smiles were dithering at the door this morning like a horde of cats. Or maybe they were doing the hokey cokey. In-out, in-out. They'd better get used to it. Long-term forecast for here was for a cold November and December due to La Niña. Cold here usually means no rain...

Anyway, time for another brew. Coffee anyone?

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Good morning. I've been awake since well before dawn. I think there was a touch of frost here last night. The cars looked suspiciously white when I peeked out at 5am .... but I didn't feel the need to go outside and check.🥶

There seemed to be a lot less fireworks last night than in previous years, if fact I don't think I've even noticed them for sale this year, but they're not something I would look for.

Comment

• Morning

Snoop here's a link to the first frost thread.

First Frosts 2022 - The Grapevine (growfruitandveg.co.uk)

The vine search has its problems I use :-

site:www. growfruitandveg. co.uk

copy the link remove the spaces then type what you're searching for at the beginning.
                    Last edited by Bren In Pots; 06-11-2022, 08:25 AM.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Looks Like Nicos is still recovering from the excesses of last night ... Morning All ... meat carved, veg prepp'd and coffee made ... time to relax.

Very Foggy here this morning here in Warwickshire ... proper old fashioned Bonfire weather ... I half expect a smog and to see some one with a top hat and cape wandering through it
                      Last edited by nick the grief; 06-11-2022, 08:48 AM.
                      ntg
                      Never be afraid to try something new.
                      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                      ==================================================

Comment

• I can't help but agree with Snoop that searching for an old post or information can be frustrating.

As for your whiteboard Snoop .... I had one but got rid of it in the end as it got to the stage where I wouldn't put jobs on there.......

As for long term weather forecasts I might possibly take notice when the short term ones get more accurate.

Does anybody know what happened to the squeezy jars of bovril? I can't find one anywhere and I found them far less messy than the ordinary glass jars and they stopped Mr GF putting a knife with butter and toast crumbs back in.
                        Last edited by greenishfing; 06-11-2022, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

No excesses ntg…..or do carbs count?
                          Just a bit of a catch-up on sleep. Well, it is Sunday morning after all!…and it’s pouring with rain….

I don’t think I could cope with a white board of ‘things to do’. Too much in my face - at least I can ignore a piece of paper with several lists on it! But that’s what it’s all about isn’t it I suppose. No wonder my lists are never ending.

Back to domestics for me today …and then chatting with friends over t’internet.

Enjoy your day peeps - and remember please to vote in our competition - it closes this evening.
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Good morning all.
                            Its bright and dry at 12 degs.
                            Grandson coming for lunch.
                            Off to church shortly.
                            Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Morning all. Foggy here too, Nick. I heard a lot of fireworks last night, the cost of living crisis doesn't seem to have discouraged people here from sending their money up in sparks.

Good idea for the pompoms, Bren, except I don't wear slippers, I walk around the house barefoot except in deepest coldest winter, when I wear Christmassy thick fleece lined slipper sock things. (They have a reindeer face on the front, and have been darned many times as they are really old!)
                              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                              Endless wonder.

Comment

• MH…I’m a barefoot person too!
                                Even wearing crocs I prefer no sox. Oh…that rhymes!
                                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X