X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironing completed
    Phew

gf…I sat down for the rest of the day and researched more of my OH’s family tree in front of the woodfire as a ‘treat’ Made a lovely change.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Good evening all.
      The laundry never dried so I resurrected the clothes horse from the shed and it's now in the conservatory.
      It's not the same as line dried laundry but needs must.

Got quite a bit done in the greenhouse. Cut down and tidied what few tomato plants are still producing.
      Brought in all my window boxes which are full of geraniums, they are quite wet as they were outdoors when I was away.
      Its lashing rain now so glad to get that much done.
      Enjoy you're evening all.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Morning all.

Cold enough for a touch of frost on the roof when I got up this morning. We had the range going till bedtime last night, so the dogs slept in the kitchen for a change, as it was warmer by far than in our bedroom. Nearly, nearly had a hot water bottle. Definitely tonight. And possibly light the wood-burning stove in the bedroom too. Mr Snoop is already talking about flannelette/winceyette sheets. And it won't be long before he starts campaigning for the fleece quilt cover. I notice he got it out the other day, but he hasn't mentioned it yet. He's feeling the cold worse than me this year.

The usuals today. But I had a really good sleep, so that has put me in a good mood. Not as bouncy as Tigger, but certainly bouncier than Eeyore!

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning

Snoop its made a huge difference having winceyette sheets on the bed I'm sure we'd have the electric blanket on by now if it wasn't for them.
          I still envy your bedroom fireplace ours was bricked up before we moved here, then we had the 2 front chimney stacks removed when the roof was re-slated so no chance now. I know we have central heating but you can't beat looking at a fire It must be cosy with yours lit.

Depending which forecast I read its either going to rain all day or a there's going to be a brief shower at lunch time.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning all.

I slept like a log on the clean brushed cotton bedding, and was in no hurry to get out of bed, not surprising considering the grey sky and persistent drizzle.

The last bedroom fire I remember was in my grandad's bedroom when I was a child. It was a Victorian terrace house in the days before central heating was common. These days most Victorian fireplaces seem to be purely decorative. I remember as a child our Alsation and I snuggling up together on the hearthrug in front of the fire.

I need to go shopping today. The fridge is looking rather empty. I keep adding things to my list while I'm writing this. I'll ring my brother in law next and find out if he wants to come or if he want me to do his shopping for him.

It's hard to talk to Mr GF this morning as one of his hearing aids went faulty yesterday and I had to take it in to the city centre to the repairers. It's probably fair to say he's listening with half an ear. Hopefully they won't keep it too long. I hate going into the city centre these days. It is so depressing. I haven't actually shopped there for a couple of years at least. There's a couple of small towns in the opposite direction which are far nicer and with free or very cheap parking. Our local council seem intent on turning the city into a pedestrian desert with countless cafes, bars and charity shops, although even some of them have closed.

Comment

• Good morning all.
              Bright and sunny here but its just 8 degrees.
              Domestics today, including changing over to the winter bedding.

No fireplaces in our bedrooms but when I was a child and if me or my sisters were Ill2, my mother would light the fire in the bedroom. It was so cosy and brings back happy memories.

I hope to get a walk in later if it doesnt rain.

Have a good day all,

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Good Morning All Raining here. It was a bad night for me, I was awake a couple of the wee small hours with a pain in the neck (not Himself, although he can be), so I read my book and must have fallen asleep eventually. It seems fine now, but it's a late start to the morning. Have a good day
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Morning, starting to feel human again thank goodness! Needless to say I’ve done nothing the last few days. Very windy and only 8° so feeling a bit chilly.
                  Granddaughter has gone to nursery dressed as baby shark for Halloween. She looked very pleased with herself.
                  Hope you have a great day folks! x
                  sigpic

Comment

• Good day dull, dry but cold today, was up the town for some messages, then fed the birds and about to make lunch, the mentioning of fires in the bedroom reminded me of out first flat when we got married, there was a fire in the bedroom and in the winter it was so nice to put it on, there was of course one in the living room as well but in those days with no televisions, for some reason the bedroom felt a lot more comforting, though there were no continental quilters in those days cotton sheets and a couple of blankets made the bed very inviting when the ice was on the inside of the windows, brushed nylon sheets were getting quite popular but they were banned in our house, I thought they were the worst kind of sheets for a bed. Ah the memories right lunch time keep safe, keep warm and remember to pass on your smiles

it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by rary View Post
                      Good day dull, dry but cold today, was up the town for some messages, then fed the birds and about to make lunch, the mentioning of fires in the bedroom reminded me of out first flat when we got married, there was a fire in the bedroom and in the winter it was so nice to put it on, there was of course one in the living room as well but in those days with no televisions, for some reason the bedroom felt a lot more comforting, though there were no continental quilters in those days cotton sheets and a couple of blankets made the bed very inviting when the ice was on the inside of the windows, brushed nylon sheets were getting quite popular but they were banned in our house, I thought they were the worst kind of sheets for a bed. Ah the memories right lunch time keep safe, keep warm and remember to pass on your smiles

Rary.....no televisions? How long ago was this? Even allowing for the fact that you were a "child husband" it sounds an awful long time ago. Of course I remember the ice on the inside of the windows and blankets, candlewick bedspreads and eiderdowns. I think that nylon sheets were one of man's worst inventions....ever!😱😱

Comment

• Afternoon n’alln’all

Boo!

Did that make you jump?

Ah…memory lane…I’ve only ever had a fire in the bedroom when we stayed in a very old hotel. They were peat blocks. So cosy to look at. The room was warm anyway so it was clearly just ornament/ experience.

I still have a candle wick cover but it’s looking a bit worn at the edges. Got it from John Lewis when we first came here. I hate the feel of synthetics so that worked a treat in summer too over a cotton sheet.
                        Hard to find these days but I’ve spotted a few on line, so just waiting for my colour scheme to come back into fashion!
                        Remember those candy stripe sheeets?

I’ve done a few important things this morning and now decorating the lounge with a few Halloween ‘things’ eg marker pen faces on oranges, vases of orange English marigolds and nasturtium a few smiley paper ghosts , and a sprinkle of dried leaves in the fireplace.
                        The year passes by so quickly that I enjoy having these date markers.
                        Bonfire night next

Enjoy your day peeps, and any ‘fun things’ you decide to do this evening.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                          I think that nylon sheets were one of man's worst inventions....ever!😱😱
                          In the early 1970’s I worked in Manchester, I remember Mum giving me a shopping list of items to buy from Brentford Nylons.
                          I’m sure she only bought one set of sheets though, but everyone did get dressing gowns that Christmas.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• There’s a name to remember Bren!
                            I’m sure my mom bought my daffodil coloured babydoll nighty from there…what with that and my hand knitted bed socks I probably scared off any potential burglars

Comment

• I had a frilly baby doll nightie too Nicos
                              Waiting to see if we get any children calling tonight. There were none last year. Himself is hoping none arrive, as he'll get the chocolate
                              Last edited by Florence Fennel; 31-10-2023, 04:51 PM.
                              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Good evening all.
                                No callers to our door either or indeed last year.
                                There are some fireworks going off close by, my daughters dog will be so scared.

Candlewick bedspreads...We got four as wedding gifts.
                                The sun faded the side of the pink one that was closest to the window.
                                We also had the candy striped sheets.
                                We were in Blackpol for a holiday the year after we got married, We went to a market in Fleeteood, saw the sheets and bought them.
                                Lots of memories, but like others say, the nylon sheets were a disaster.

Jay, glad to hear you're feeling better and hope your little grandaughter had a fun day.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X