Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No trick or treaters arrived here either. I’ll hang onto the sweets until bonfire night incase any kids call round then.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Morning all.

Glad you're feeling better, Jay.

Cloud building up here after a chilly night. Rain certainly due tomorrow, but it looks like we might get a bit this morning. The smiles left in reasonably good time after I made them promise they wouldn't go swooshing around Mr Snoop and distracting him while he's up a ladder, trying to right a chimney (galvanised metal, I've got used to seeing them here) which has got bent over at a joint between different sections, presumably by the wind.

Plenty to keep me going at the computer today. I even had Mr Snoop thrashing out a sentence with me at 1 am because I couldn't sleep, it was bothering me so much. Roll on retirement...

Right, on that optimistic note, I'd better get back to it. Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
        Tis November!

Loads of sploshy stuff going on here at the moment so I can’t imagine the smiles will be hanging around.
        It’s a bank holiday here today and there will be loads of families visiting the graves of loved ones leaving the traditional potted chrysanthemums. Not a nice day weather wise for that.

We’ve had weather warnings for this evening with Storm Ciarán coming in- expecting to have 90 mph winds
        We’ve moved most ‘movable’ things from the garden, so fingers crossed there’s not too much damage when we wake up tomorrow.
        The heavy rains at least should put OHs repairs to the leaking car roof to the test.
        I hear snow is forecast for parts of Scotland, so I hope the smiles set off with their toboggans this morning Snoop?…what with their Sou’westers and brollies it’ll be hard to miss them flying diagonally in the wind!

We did a grory hop yesterday and Lidl were selling double amaryllis at 3€ each ( £2.61 )
        Couldn't resist - so I bought 8 They should be flowering by the end of the month. Too early For Xmas but heck, why not
        Hopefully they are all red, but I’ve found that never to be quite accurate

Enjoy your day peeps…

Last edited by Nicos; 01-11-2023, 07:31 AM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning

A damp and windy day here.

Flo just wondering did Himself get to eat all the chocs of did he have to share them with trick or treaters.

Edited to say

Fingers crossed you don't get any storm damage Nicos talking of snow one of MrP's friends had snow earlier this week they only live 8 mile away from us.
          Last edited by Bren In Pots; 01-11-2023, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• Good morning. Another good night's sleep. It's a very wet 12°C here but the sun is trying to get through. I was just thinking, "Oh it's far too early for snow here", when I suddenly remembered a group of us going to a big communal bonfire in a park in Sheffield in the 80s and getting snowed off, causing us to retire to the pub.🛷🍻

There were a few noisy fireworks here last night but that's all.

I treated us to some fresh figs while shopping yesterday. Never again. They were tasteless, nothing like when eaten warm and fresh from the tree.

I was wrong about the sun trying to get out. It's given up the ghost. A shame as my bedding could have done with a few hours outdoors with a bit of sun and wind.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post

Rary.....no televisions? How long ago was this? Even allowing for the fact that you were a "child husband" it sounds an awful long time ago. Of course I remember the ice on the inside of the windows and blankets, candlewick bedspreads and eiderdowns. I think that nylon sheets were one of man's worst inventions....ever!😱😱
              When we got married gf, televisions were not that promenant in households, not in Scotland anyway, TVs were expensive, a lot of households rented them, not a thing I bothered with, my parents bought a television when I was seven years old, so was used to one for several years before getting married and once married it was more listening to the wireless and reading books that we enjoyed, but as I worked shifts I bought one for OH to watch when I was working, though to be honest if the TV stations shut down today I wouldn't miss it
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• I remember my parents getting a telly - bought or rented, no idea which - when I was small and my brother and I being fascinated by the first thing we saw, a football match. In black and white of course. Held my attention for all of about three minutes. I don't remember the telly being on much after that apart from occasionally midday children's television. No idea why but we weren't allowed to watch Bill and Ben or the Woodentops. Tales from the Riverbank was allowed, as was Andy Pandy, which is a bit odd given that Looby Loo basically encouraged children to fib about whether she had been up and about. I also remember VHS video recorders being available to rent, they were so expensive to buy at the start.

Comment

• Good Morning All He hasn't eaten the sweets yet Bren, but only because he doesn't know where they are Sunny at the moment so washing on. Have a good day
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Good morni b all, bright and breezy and 10 degrees.
                    It's a holy day here,,,All Saints day so I will go to mass.
                    I need to return some library books as well.
                    Looking after my grandson this evening, so that's my day spoken for.

We had no trick or treaters knock on our door but there were quite a lot of fireworks going off

Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• I vaguely remember watch with mother on the TV, which I didn't like. I do remember watching Dr Who every week at my grandparents house. A tiny screen in a big box. I thought the daleks were scary. Oh, and Dixon of dock green. I remember the first colour TVs with their totally unrealistic colours. I was more of a reader though if I was indoors and had no time for the radio until radio Caroline and radio Luxemburg started broadcasting.

Comment

• Good morning, some heavy rain today, I recon its going to be one of those days with constant rain as there is no wind to move the clouds away, was out to feed the birds and the amount of leaves over the grass and patio is unbelievable, the neighbour to the side of me has four large trees in his garden and I think I have all the leaves that has fallen from them in mine, and no he is not getting them back once it dries up I will get them lifted and spread over the flower beds, I really need to get things lifted out the ground and tubs for storing, but the garden is a low priority at the moment, if anything is lost to the weather it can be replaced, OH is definitely getting better as she has asked me to do some dusting, she says she can see some on the furniture, as I can't see it I have given her a cloth to clean her glasses, hopefully that should help need to go and get the bedding changed and put the old stuff in for washing though don't know when I will get it done, do you know that housework is never done! , and once OH is back on her feet it won't done by me anyway I will also come back and alter or remove this post, so no taking any quotes from it please​​​​​​. Have a good day and I hope no one suffers any damage by the storm that is forecasted, stay safe and sound, remember your smiles
                        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Just reading your posts, rary, is enough to bring a smile to my face. Best wishes to you and your OH. Glad to hear she's on the mend.

Comment

• Afternoon

I’m another who smiles at Rary’s posts

I think Dad got our TV so he could watch either wrestling or westerns I can't really remember there much else on.

Comment

• Good evening all.
                              We had no rain today but a very cool breeze.
                              My grandaughter came visiting this afternoon, shes on her mid term break.

Didnt have our grandson today as he is doen with a cold and cough.

Got half way through the ironing when my sister rang, by the time we were finished chatting it had got dark so I will have to do the other half tomorrow. Not what I wanted as I wanted to get it done in one go,

I also love reading Rarys posts and am delighted to hear Mrs Rary is recovering well.

My first memory of TV was The Perry Como show on Friday night, my mother wouldnt miss him.

Have a good evening all and stay warm.

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                                . I was more of a reader though if I was indoors and had no time for the radio until radio Caroline and radio Luxemburg started broadcasting.
                                GF please accept my apologies if I have ever been what you thought was cheeky to you, , my mother always told me to be respectful to my elders. I have a vague memory of sitting listening to Tommy Walls and PC 49, along with Dan Dare on radio Luxembourg, though I am quite sure you will put me right, as, if you remember it starting in 1933 you are a bit older than me, correction a lot older than me

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X