This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rary View Post

GF please accept my apologies if I have ever been what you thought was cheeky to you, , my mother always told me to be respectful to my elders. I have a vague memory of sitting listening to Tommy Walls and PC 49, along with Dan Dare on radio Luxembourg, though I am quite sure you will put me right, as, if you remember it starting in 1933 you are a bit older than me, correction a lot older than me
    Sorry Rary, I don't remember radio Luxembourg's early incarnation. I only remember it after I got my first transistor radio in the sixties. We had a massive immovable radio before that with valves, but it took hours to warm up.

Comment

• Morning all.

Bright at the moment, but rain later today. The rate the wind is blowing the clouds in (still relatively calm down by the house), it'll be sooner rather than later. Bedroom temperature this morning was 15 ºC. Not too bad, and I slept very well, but Mr Snoop made a pointed remark about winceyette sheets just now, so we'll be changing the bedding today by the look of it.

Have a great day, everyone.

Edited to add: Sorry, forgot to ask how you all did in the weather last night. Hope you and your gardens are OK this morning.
      Last edited by Snoop Puss; 02-11-2023, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• Morning

Rain due here later but nothing like the bad storms they're having in other areas.

Grory hop sometime today and a bit of GH tidying.

Enjoy your day

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good Morning All. Lots of lashing rain in the early hours, fine just now but dark and cold. Have a good day
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Morning all.

It's all very calm outside, no wind, no rain, though we had rain in the night. However, I looked at the barometer and I haven't seen it this low for a long, long time. Think we must be right under the eye of storm Ciarán at present, so I guess rain this afternoon as it crosses over us.

Click image for larger version

Name:	barometer.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	564.1 KB
ID:	2570889

Rary, glad Mrs Rary is doing OK - how could she not with you as the nurse?
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

• Good morning all. I'm just watching the news, looking at the damage from storm Ciaran. There's no sign of it here I'm glad to say, just the normal grey skies and rain, but no wind. I hope everyone else has survived with minimal damage.

Comment

• Good morning all.
                A cool bright morning with temp at 5 degs.
                No rain forecast so I am going to walk in the park.

Another fan of radio Luxembourg here, my mother used to listen to the top 20 every Sunday night at eleven o'clock.

We dont seem to have had any problem from storm Ciaran.
                Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• The postman has just been and I'm happy to say that there was a padded envelope from the hearing aid place with a replacement hearing aid for the one that I took in and told them was faulty on Monday. At least that means I've avoided another trip into the city centre and Mr GF has now NO excuse for not hearing me! Mmmmm. We shall see! I must say that their service has always been really good.

Wow! The sun is trying to peep out.🌥

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post

Sorry Rary, I don't remember radio Luxembourg's early incarnation. I only remember it after I got my first transistor radio in the sixties. We had a massive immovable radio before that with valves, but it took hours to warm up.
                    OH so your not as old as I was thinking, in that case I take back the apology and yes I remember the big wirelesses with the valves, I remember playing about with the valves from three different wirelesses to get one to work, though possibly not so big that I couldn't move them, but definitely not what you would call portable, as for a transistor radio, I think that's when I first damaged my hearing as I listened to one via an ear plug, with of course the sound turned up, radio Luxembourg was great for all the modern music, then of course several years later rodio Caroline came on, I think there were an other two pirate radio ships at the same time but can't remember their names, no doubt there will be some on here a lot older than us who will know the names
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Good morning, been up since six this morning as OH had me up three times through the night and when up at six decided to stay up, when I got up I had to go out to the freezer in the garage and there was frost on the car, it wasn't in the garage, then when I was out the front, not more than five feet away from the car I have two tubs of begonias still in flower, with no sign of frost damage, they are sitting on the steps going into the house but evedently close enough to get ptotection from the house, isn't it marvellous how plants can be protected like that. We had the sun out for a short time, but now clouded over and I think we will have some rain shortly, fortunately there are no effects from the storm in this area, but I recently had a discussion with my neighbour with the trees, I told him I wasn't too happy with trees of that hight being so close to my house, as when there are high winds I think there is a possibility of damage from them, he later came back to inform me that he is going to get them cut down, he also said that the person who is going to cut the down said the trees were safe enough and would stand for years, I wonder what he thinks when he sees the trees that are uprooted in this storm.
                      Anyway hope you are all OK and are in no danger from the weather, keep safe
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Afternoon n’alln’all
                        Just popping in as I have no idea how long we will have electricity and internet.
                        We really got hammered last night - fortunately no real damage to the gardens nor house. Well, none detected as yet.
                        It was mostly wind - not much rain at all which surprised me.

fire lit, candles lit, food cooked …we’re fine. Could have been really bad from the brief glimpse of what I’ve seen on the internet.

Talking of radio valves….my mom once told me about those radio valves Rary - she and her brother would take one each to have them recharged or something.

Woodentops, Bill and Ben,Rag Tag and Bobtail and Ttails of the riverbank…. those were my favourite TV programs as a very young nipper.
                        I vaguely recall going to a lady’s house , preschool, just to get used to be away from home and mixing with others the same age. The only vision I have is sitting under her large dining room table with other children listening to Listen with Mother.

Right…let’s see if this posts….

Take care everyone - hope you are all ok x
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Good afternoon all.
                          Talking about radios with valves.
                          I have my grandmothers radio with valves and it still works.
                          It's a Pilot make.
                          It would be about 65 years old now.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Evening all. Glad things are ok with you Nicos! I was thinking about you when I saw that Jersey and Brittany had been hit hard.
                            Some good news, I’ve tested negative for Covid thank goodness! Will test again tomorrow just to make sure before leaving quarantine!! OH has managed to avoid it, who knows why!
                            Enjoy the rest of your evening and hope the storm
                            passes you by. x
                            sigpic

Comment

• Good news there Jay.
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Evening

Nicos I remember playing under my grans big chenille tablecloth its was thick, edged with tassels and the perfect hiding place.

Good news for your negative covid result Jay.
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X