Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We lived miles away from the coast but there were always seagulls hanging around at playtime. Fascinating vacuum cleaners
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning all.

Just a quick message as am about to leave for the airport. Back home on 30 December. Not sure how much I'll be able to stay in touch between now and then. So just in case, I'll wish you all Happy Christmas now. See you all for New Year.

Comment

• Festive greetings to you too Snoop.
        Safe trip x

Comment

• Good morning all. Its a beautiful morning. Sun is shining but it's just minus 3 degs.
          No demand on my time and no need to be anywhere so lots of time go hunting for Holly.

Yes, I remember the birds packing the foil tops on the milk bottles.
          We eventually left out egg cups and the milk man would put these over the bottles.
          We didnt have milk in school when I was a child, we brought our own,
          In the winter I brought a flask of bovril.
          My mother gave us cod liver oil and also virol off a spoon.
          My sister hated it and there would be a battle every day to get her to swallow it,

Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Hope you have a great trip Snoop. Merry Christmas if you don't get online again until after the event.🎅🎅

Comment

• Have a safe journey Snoop & a great Christmas & New year,we’ll be thinking about you have fun
              Our water pipe froze again this morning,hairdryer fixed it again. Our condensing boiler freezes in this weather,I’ve taken the plastic thing off so the water drips into a plastic container inside,instead of dripping outside,boiler man showed me how years ago. It’s amazing reading the memories,I was born in the soft era going tesco with mum in a minute,have a great day,we’ve still got some snow here

Comment

• Afternoon

Grory hop this morning then this afternoon we’ve delivered cards and decorated the mantle piece with holly candles and pine cones. Looks festive enough for me.
                JJ that must be a pain having to unfreeze your pipes especially if it’s every day.
                From what I remember mum gave us cod liver oil in the bath I can only think it must have been incase it was spit out.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Cold and frosty.
                  Off out in the camper today. We’re off to a forge where they make iron flowers/ butterflies/ dragonflies etc as well as gates, railing, hinges etc.
                  Nice trip out for us and the bonus of cost price Xmas pressies for the garden. One each…well, that’s the plan
                  Theres a lovely lake nearby too for us to park up for a picnic lunch.

No plans as yet for the weekend apart from more mince pie making - what’s everyone else up to?

Comment

• Morning

That sounds like my type of outing Nicos lots of interesting/unusual things so you'll be spoilt for choice.

Today I'm shopping for the last prezzie and delivering the last 4 cards. Other than than just general house stuff to do.

Enjoy your day.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Morning all.

I've got my Christmas cake in the oven. I don't like the traditional dark type, I make a golden cake, with golden caster sugar, dried apricots, sultanas and crystallised ginger, and nutmeg and orange zest for flavour.

My niece dropped off presents for us yesterday. She wouldn't come inside as her 16 yo son has Strep A (scarlet fever) and she didn't want to risk my mum's health. My poor mum developed shingles at the weekend, all down her leg. She doesn't walk well at the best of times, and the pain kept her in bed for three days. She's up today, but may return to bed after lunch (she's 104 if you remember).

My niece said her son was told he could go back to school after two days of antibiotics - that seems ridiculous to me, with a contagious virus. He didn't go anyway, because apparently his whole face was covered with the rash. Good job term has ended now.

There's so much shingles/strep A/scarlet fever about, makes you wonder if the covid vaccine may be interfering with natural defence.
                      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

• Good morning.

Nicos, the forge sounds amazing. I would never choose to visit an art gallery and consider modern art in general as a con, but I truly appreciate the beauty of lots of wrought iron doors, gates and shutters. Even decorative metal garden ornaments appeal to me, particularly art deco or art nouveau style. I'm just an uncultured pleb, I would far rather visit a salvage yard than a sculpture park......

I'm glad to say Mr GF's itching is now under control.

Christmas is sneaking up on me. I think a serious clean today and then tomorrow I might even ferret out some decorations and get organised. I've still got some cards to write and deliver. I have already delivered one present, the Bay leaf tree, so that I didn't have to worry about killing it and I had an e-mail from T & M yesterday saying another present I'd ordered is out for delivery.

Comment

• Missed your post Mothawk. I hope your mum gets better quickly. I hope your niece's son gets over his scarlet fever quickly too. I remember having it as a child and being kept off school for two weeks but the rest of my family never caught it off me.

Comment

• Good morning all.
                            It's a beautiful sunny morning but everything is covered in white frost,

Nicos, your trip out sounds lovely, enjoy the day,

Gifts to wrap and so e local cards to write.
                            A little bit of tidying and we are almost prepared,

Mothhaek, your poor mam, shingles is so painful. Hope she improves soon.
                            SO many illnesses and viruses going around, you would wonder would the hard frost kill them off.

Anyway, have a good day whatever you're doing and stay warm.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by bramble View Post

Mothhaek, your poor mam, shingles is so painful. Hope she improves soon.
                              SO many illnesses and viruses going around, you would wonder would the hard frost kill them off.

Anyway, have a good day whatever you're doing and stay warm.
                              When I was a child I remember the local doctor used to say he preferred a cold Winter as there was less disease around but this was in the days before central heating was common, public transport was freezing with the open platform at the back of buses and kids spent much more time outdoors. It is rarer now to be cold for long spells....going from a warm house to a warm car to another warm building. Even shopping tends to be done indoors, online or in a supermarket or mall rather than outdoors in a market or going from shop to shop.

Comment

• good morning all,i love memory time,as has been said before,the old mangle,and dolly tub with the ribbed side walls,and punchers,i still have a small one for a wash bowl,it used to take with on camping holidays,and the baby bath bath converted to a wash tub,next modern invention was a copper boiler in the kitchen corner,wow,how things have changed,thank the lord,it is amazing how we can adapt if needs must,
                                Ended up having 2 teeth out ,1 top and 1 bottom on same side,had a realy good sleep,the phone woke me up at 10 am,so i have yet to start my day,the poor hens water keeps on freezing up,i had better go and start of my day,my man realy looked after me yesterday,even some home made soup,,is such a different life i have now,on that note hope Snoop has a good trip over here,and does not feel too cold,stay safe everyone
                                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X