This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    Rary - your talk sounds interesting…what info did you take away from that?
    There were several things I noted Nicos, for instance there are still signs of community farming, where fields were devided up into run rigs, that's the field being devided into broad strips running the length of the field and worked by individual families, this of ours took place a long time ago but evedence of such things can still be seen especially when using a drone to photograph the area, also in the more recent years most of the farmers around this area were tenant farmers, the fields being used for growing different grains, both for human and animal consumption, for example there would've been a field where a mix of crops was grown to feed the horses, this changed after the war when seed from Italy was imported,, it then became a monoculture where the horse got fed the one type of grain, the example was, like getting fed weetabix every day, it was also shown how drainage was important and how this increased the output, also how the farmers wealth increased when the trains came into the area in the past the milk was used to make cheese and butter mostly for local consumption, though there were some haulage companies who collected such products to take to the city markets, also that cheese was used as payment of rent, there were a number of other things but this might give you a flavour of what the discussion was
    Last edited by rary; 05-12-2023, 03:34 PM.
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Sounds really fascinating, rary.

Comment

• Wow - very interesting rary!

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Good morning all.
          There's a hard frost today, so no doubt I'll be scraping the ice off the windshield before going for a haircut and grory hop. Need to get a few cards too, birthday, not seasonal, and it's hard to find nice ones at this time of year, they are all put away to make space. I always mean to card shop for them in October but never remember.

May have a wander around the decorations in the GC too, see what's in fashion this year, not that I need to buy any, but I can't resist looking at shiny
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

• Morning

A hard frost here as well MH I can't even get into my GH to read the overnight lo, will try later. I did get to open the dustbin though by banging on the lids.
            Good luck on your card search.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning.

Jack Frost is back to visit again here.🥶 It's -2°C outside at the moment. Brrrr! Fortunately the central heating is on indoors.

I did a grory hop yesterday and even got a present for the two year old great nephew that I know I'd have loved at that age. I didn't like "girly" toys. I've also ordered a present for my bedbound sister in law too, so I have made a start. A trip to the garden centre this week should sort out a couple more presents and I desperately need more bird food from there as I seem to be attracting a bigger flock daily. Mainly blackbirds, pigeons, tits and the odd sparrow and Robin. My two nieces are my main problem, one in her twenties and a pregnant one in her thirties.

The hairdresser is coming this morning. Her Christmas present/tip, a fruit cake, is already wrapped in silver foil. I'll give her a jar of my mincemeat too as I know she makes her own mince pies. I presume she likes her "tips" as she hasn't put her prices up in years.

The breadmaker is on now so I think I might make some chicken and vegetable soup in the slow cooker next to go with fresh bread.
              Last edited by greenishfing; 06-12-2023, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• Morning all.

Perishing cold here today too. Clouds just starting to gather, but I'm going to ignore them while I can and focus on the blue bits in between.

Off out for lunch with friends today, so that's a treat and a half. Was hoping to get a bit of work done beforehand, but it will be so little I'm starting to lose the will to actually do it.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Happy birthday Snoop, hope you have a lovely day x
                  Frosty here too. Fascinating to see the frozen violas perk up in the sunshine. Have a good day All
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• ^Thanks, Flo. x

Comment

• Happy birthday Snoop, have a good day and enjoy your lunch out with your friends

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Good morning all.
                        No frost here, its dry and breezy with temp at 8 degs.
                        Grory Hopkins domestics and then looking after my grandson.
                        Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
                          Misty start and lingering. There’s a real chill in the air too.

Have a great day Snoop…many happies lass

Today will be the day to put up the rest of the Xmas decorations. Apart from the fresh greenery. Maybe get the Xmas trees tomorrow or Friday .
                          Oh….and yesterday I made the first batch of mince pies! 12 of them. They must faulty because when I went down this morning there were only 4 left!

Enjoy your day peeps- keep warm!

* edit…..3 left now - and I’ve only had 2
                          Last edited by Nicos; 06-12-2023, 10:25 AM.
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Happy birthday snoop!!!!🥂🍰

Comment

• Happy birthday Snoop, just when I think I am catching up with you, you go and have a birthday ​​​​​​
                              -2c this morning butt with the wind chill feels a lot colder, possibly made a mistake by moving a large snowball off the driveway without gloves, but if the boys come in after I may well heat my hands by skelping their backsides, though there cold be a problem with that as they are now all taller than me just going to tak OH over to a farm shop for her to get a Christmas present for a friend, oh and OH is definitely improving, but think I will swap glasses with her, as the ones she is wearing seems to show dust where I definitely don't see it, have a good day stay warm and smile
                              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Happy Birthday Snoop. You shouldn't even consider working on your birthday, so put it out of mind. Hope the lunch was good.
                                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X