This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovely news, Bren.

Our surviving dog, P, is a proper mix. Mum was a mix of a Swiss Bouvier and a Great Dane, apparently, though we never met him. Very Swiss Bouvier in character but not in colouring (white with ginger splodges in her coat, dark splodges on her skin). Amazing dog. P's dad was a sheepdog in the shape of a beer barrel on legs,. P is pretty much like her dad in looks but very like her mum in character, but with a bit of added sheepdog nerviness.

As for the wolves, they're making their own way here from Italy and northern Spain. They're protected, so there's quite a lot of farmstock predation when they first turn up in a place, but government financial help for fencing and dogs is proving quite effective once in place.

Comment

• Good morning all.
      Misty sunshine at the moment.
      Out for a walk now , some gardening and then collecting my grandson from school.
      Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Thats great news about team helmet Bren In Pots .
        P sounds souovely dog Snoop Puss . Not sure I fancy wolves though. They're wanting to reintroduce Lynx not far from here which isn't going down well.
        Northern England.

Comment

• I would love to have lynx here. What are the objections? It's true they take very small lambs, but they prefer rabbits. They'll also take foxes, so in that respect they're a farmer's friend. There seem to be no complaints now in the south of Spain, presumably in part because grants for dogs, fencing and lost lambs are available.

Comment

• Good morning all.

A rubbish night's sleep, maybe it was a bit too warm. At 4am I was wide awake, utterly bored, and roaming the internet.

It was nice to see my sisters yesterday. They are like chalk and cheese, so different.

I think a grory hop this afternoon. It's very warm again, but there's been no sign of the sun yet today. It actually feels quite close/muggy but there's no rain forecast. (Literally 0%)

I quite like the idea of wild wolves and big cats roaming around but I'd imagine the reality could be quite scary.

Comment

• Afternoon!
              Yup - I’m back home

Lovely to be with family but lovely to be home again.

It’s really hot isn’t it?…anyone not got glorious weather?
              I’d offer you a choc-ice but I’ve none in the freezer!

Still got loads of unpacking to do so will pop back later. Good to be back with you all again
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Good to have you back Nicos. Sunny here now, so not as humid as it has been. I've got my pinny on batch cooking in the oven!
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• ^^^^ nutter
                  I see nothing changes here!

Comment

• Nice to see you back, Nicos.

I think that if the weather is good, this is the nicest time of year here. There must be a million shades of green in nature, all on display. Even the motorway embankments look good with all the wild flowers.

I've done the grory hop and even bought enough strawberries to make some jam tomorrow. (A much cooler forecast for tomorrow.) I'm avoiding the kitchen as much as possible today. I've just taken my brother in law a punnet of strawberries and a bag of frozen croissants and he's already bagsied a jar. (Is "bagsied" a Yorkshire word? I haven't heard it for years).

Comment

• I haven't heard that word for a long time GF, but I'm familiar with it!
                      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Afternoon

Welcome back Nicos its a rather hot 26c here so I'm in my t-shirt and shorts, apart from the Grory hop I've been hiding indoors since 11-ish this morning.

Will venture back out this evening.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Turned out a hot day after all. I still did gardening jobs.
                          Snoop Puss it's where is the problem, small hamlets and villages throughout forest area which is a recreational use forest. Lots of dog walking, kids, watersports.
                          The reason for introduction is for preserving plantings against deer mostly from what I can gather so far.
                          Northern England.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                            (Is "bagsied" a Yorkshire word? I haven't heard it for years).
                            I consider myself a ‘northerner’ and used it regularly in my childhood. ‘First dibs’ also came to mind but I didn’t really use that phrase. ( sounds a bit more posh eh?)
                            Wonder where those phrases originate from!

Yoy’re right about the hedgerows. I’ve never seen so many oxeye daisies along the motorways and A roads in the uk!….is it an exceptional year for them?

Comment

• Yes bagsied and first dibs here too. Also northerner.
                              Northern England.

Comment

• Morning all. Welcome back, Nicos.

Just had a look at the weather report. Rain is looking likely for the weekend, but I think they've made a mistake with the decimal points. They probably mean 24.7 litres per square metre on Saturday, not 247. And 12.1 on Sunday, not 121. Rain is good (here at least) but not that much all at once.

Off to the dentist again... Another long appointment, but I've warned them my jaw aches if I open my mouth wide, so I won't be able to manage as long as they're hoping. "We'll see", was the answer via WhatsApp. You can put all kinds of tones of voice on a text message like that...

Other than that, a bit of cooking and work for the day.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X