This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good morning.

Another poor night's sleep. It's forecast to be in the high twenties (°C) or low eighties (°F) today.

I was just thinking how much easier basic Maths must be for young children since metrication. I am happy with both systems, but was brought up with pounds, shillings and pence, ounces and pounds, pints and gallons, etc. Just wondering, why on earth we never went the whole hog though and changed all our signposts to kilometres?🤔
    Last edited by greenishfing; 29-07-2024, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
      Already hot here- going to hit at least 33C today ( feels like 36C they forecast) but we tend to get a bit hotter in summer and colder in winter.
      ( Pah! chuckles Snoop)

I’m fine with both systems gf for distance, weights and speed but somehow never got my head around temperatures.

We sat out with the firepit last night until gone midnight watching shooting stars ( three wishes!) planes and satellites. Barking deer, crickets, barn and tawny owls kept us company. As did Hibou . Bliss. That’s my ideal summer evening.

Our hob has literally just arrived!…finally so it’s just a matter of fitting it now.
      Also waiting to hear about the boiler pump replacement….

Right- I best get out and set to in the garden- should have started earlier but the late night threw me. I don’t blame you Snoop in planning an afternoon nap. I may well do the same ( only of course so I can sit out late again tonight )

Enjoy your day peeps…I’m sure I saw those smiles earlier carrying beach towels….
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Good Morning All Hot and sunny here. Have a good day
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Morning all. Looks like another beautiful day. A busy one for me. I have a doctors appointment this morning, then I need to plant a load of stuff I picked up from a friend yesterday, then a meeting, then a trip out to look at our caravan (static), then another meeting. I would prefer to just mooch around in this heat. I left the top of my car down overnight, just as well it didn’t rain.
          "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
          "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
          Oxfordshire

Comment

• Soft top Janie?….snazzy

Comment

• Afternoon all
              Weather hasn't been up to much, cloudy and trying to rain for most of the day.
              Last edited by Containergardener; 30-07-2024, 06:25 AM.
              Northern England.

Comment

• Morning
                Last night the Sun appeared about 6pm but today we are back to heavy cloud and not that warm. Hoping it improves.
                Northern England.

Comment

• Morning all.

Tremendous racket going on outside. Just as well I don't need to concentrate much this morning, just some sums. These days, all I need to do are sums and percentages (nearly always do those with a calculator), plus understand gradients. I'm not a natural at maths, so my teachers were probably very pleased with themselves for getting me through the exams. What a dreadful waste of all their efforts!

Weather likely to hit the low 40s, but cloudy this morning. Probably means high humidity, but much better than blazing sunshine. 35% probability of a few drops of rain on Friday. Got my fingers crossed.

Other than the sums, not much else to do but try and find a home for my latest flour delivery and then make brunch. I should tie up the toms, but will do that first thing tomorrow morning, while it's still a bit cool. Might need a head torch to see what I'm doing. The days are definitely getting much shorter.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
                    Already 22C here- expected to hit mid 30s today. Won’t offer to swap with you Snoop But crossing my fingers for rain for you.

I did A level maths ( I know…. I hide it well)

Very busy here too - the local farmer is taking in silage from the field down the road tractor load after tractor load. Teenagers bouncing empty tractors and trailers down our narrow lane, then struggling back up the hill heavily laiden. It’s a big field too! Good for them though cracking on before it gets too hot!

I’m planning on a bit more weeding today, but in the shade
                    Not sure after that but deffo something indoors

Those smiles were very Skippety skip this morning as they flew over- what are you feeding them with Snoop?

Comment

• ^Nothing, Nicos. Just the smell of things is enough to nourish them. Mind you, they probably saw the pictures in my new recipe book, The Perfect Scoop, by David Lebovitz. The ice cream maker arrived yesterday. I took it out of the box, had a look and then put it straight back in again. Roll on the kitchen being back to usable.

Comment

• Ice cream?…mmmm…nice buy!

CG…I’ll try and send some of our sun up to you - sorry for hogging it.

Comment

• Good morning all.

Oh the joy of having a half decent night's sleep. Not perfect, but so much better than the ones I've had recently. When I awoke I'd been dreaming that it was pouring with rain, which was leaking into my house. I was trying to find a way to get onto the roof and fix the gutters or tiles in the dark and rain (been there, done that, got the T-shirt). I was amazed to find we had gorgeous sunshine when I opened my eyes..not a cloud in sight.

Snoop, it can't be a waste of your teacher's effort really, because you do understand gradients and percentages. I used to love maths particularly algebra.... it was so wonderfully logical, no shades of grey, although my clumsy fingers never really got the hang of using a slide rule.

Off to make more coffee now.

Comment

• Good Morning All Hot but cloudy at the moment. Have a good day
                            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Good morning all.pA misty morning and just 16 degs.
                              I think I just saw the smiles hovering over my garden Snoop, they came for a bit of our cool weather.
                              Having said that, we haven't had any rain for a while and my two water butts are now empty,
                              Maths, I was good at, and fractions and mental arithmetic were my thing.

Off out for a long walk in the park and then some work in the garden.
                              A visit to the library this afternoon.
                              Have a good day all,

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Afternoon

I've been out and about enjoying the nice weather, perhaps as well its all change on Thursday when we're back to thunderstorms.

Snoop your party sounds like fun and so did Flo's weeding shopping.

JanieB sorry to read about your son like you say it was good he was staying with you xx
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X