Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdblake View Post
    The kid's don't get anywhere near my Pratchett collection

TBH I'd have thought a lot of the humour of discworld a bit beyond a ten year old.
    there's Johnny and the Dead, Johnny and the Bomb - Only you can save Mankind. Brilliant - I love them myself - you son't have to be a child.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Perfect, Thank you all (again).
      Johnny Maxwell threesome and the Otori box set. 6 books for under £20 - should keep him quiet for a few days over the 'festive' period.
      Tx

Comment

Originally posted by pdblake View Post
        The Hobbit is a great intro to Tolkien.

Redwall books are good too.
        Yes - Tolkien is a bit Hobbit forming
        NKP1962
        The Allotment Directory - coming soon (watch this space!)
        Movember - I am growing a 'tache in support of men's health

Comment

I'd recommend the Susan Cooper 'Dark is Rising' set of books;
          Over Sea, Under Stone
          The Dark is Rising
          Greenwitch
          The Grey King
          Silver on the Tree

You can get it as one big volume (see link), or as a box set. There's a movie of the second book, I don't know if they're doing sequels though.
          Amazon.co.uk: The Dark is Rising Sequence: "Over Sea, Under Stone"; The "Dark is Rising"; "Greenwitch"; The "Grey King"; "Silver O": "Over Sea, Under Stone"; The "Dark ... The "Grey King"; "Silver O" (Puffin Books): Susan Cooper: Books

This spellbinding volume brings together the five novels from Susan Cooper’s classic fantasy sequence: Over Sea, Under Stone; The Dark is Rising; Greenwitch; The Grey King; and Silver on the Tree. Here Barney, Jane and Simon discover an ancient map in Cornwall; the mysterious Merriman reveals his secret purpose; and Will Stanton realizes that he is not just an ordinary boy but has a far greater role in fulfilling his destiny. Creating a magical world where the everyday mingles with the supernatural, The Dark is Rising Sequence weaves a story of secret codes, strange prophecies, the legend of King Arthur and a centuries-old conflict between the power of good and the forces of evil.
          Last edited by SarzWix; 04-12-2008, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Sarz, I used to love Susan Cooper. Alan Garner too.
            Alan Garner
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Sarz, I used to love Susan Cooper. Alan Garner too.
              Alan Garner
              Ooh yeah, 'Elidor' is still a favourite of mine

Comment

I've just been doing some book ordering for the dozens of neices and nephews we have. They've all got two books each, and I did quite a lot of research for the new books - the ages vary from 5 to 17 years. I also included some "classics" that I read as a kid (my sis loved Elidor) including Marianne Dreams, which I still think is spooky!

It's a good exercise actually to update myself with what the 'kids' are reading these days - lots of good stuff out there.
                I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Urusula Le Guin's 'Wizard of Earthsea' series

Christopher Paolini 'Inheritance' Series - Eragon, is the film of one of these.

Garth Nix

Red x

Comment

i remeber reading point horror books at your sons age, they have everything from murder mystery to ghosts in and is aimed at 10-16 years so his age group, there not as blood thirsty or grafic discriptions as adult books, but more thrilling than many others for his age group, get on ebay at a good price too, they still sell them in book shops as well.

Comment

OK, fellow bookworms, listen up...

My OH went into a local Woolies (to return their work kettle which had gone wrong after a month!) and came out with an arm-full of books - all at half price!

So, go to Woolies and do your Crimbo shopping.

He also got a replacement kettle and £1.50 cash refund coz it's now cheaper then when they originally bought it! I don't think the administrators will have anything to administrate when they take over LOL...
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

TPratchett is great for kids too, he has kids books, but even the adult ones enthrall my youngest, they are written on so many levels that even if he doesn't get all the jokes, he is still laughing his sox off, teaches him stuff too cos he has to ask me why some things are funny, stuff from before his time, or political, i explain, he gets it, then re-reads it and laughs louder.
                        Vive Le Revolution!!!
                        'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                        Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

My OH loves Terry Pratchett, haven't got there myself yet...

Still at G for gardening...

OK shoot me - it's late and I've been drinking...

Night all. X
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                            My OH loves Terry Pratchett, haven't got there myself yet...

Still at G for gardening...

OK shoot me - it's late and I've been drinking...

Night all. X
                            you cannot be my friend unless you read at least the witches series, TP is a god in my eyes, social commentary and history, pschology and humour all in one book, he rocks, and you get caught laughing out loud( really laughing, not a quiet giggle), how many books can you say that about?
                            Vive Le Revolution!!!
                            'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                            Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X