Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by piskieinboots
    I'm expecting a bill of around £500//.
    If you can afford it I'd say get it done, my crowns are much less trouble than my real teef. My other probem with capping (besides lack of dosh) is a fear of needles!
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Shall we have a whip round? The Piskietoothfundingfund?

janeyo

Comment

Shirley again. I have two broken down fillings and the missing crown. I just don't smile as widely as I would like. There is no way we can afford for my teef to get fixed - lotto win required. (the only broad toothy grin I give out)
        Let's go diggin' dirt....

Big silver bird, come land low and slow
        Cut your engines, cool your wings,
        You've taken me home...

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
          If you can afford it I'd say get it done, my crowns are much less trouble than my real teef. My other probem with capping (besides lack of dosh) is a fear of needles!
          Are you my twin? (Shirley here) The only needle I have learned not to mind is the one administering the valium!!!
          Let's go diggin' dirt....

Big silver bird, come land low and slow
          Cut your engines, cool your wings,
          You've taken me home...

Comment

Originally posted by madmax View Post
            I have two broken down fillings and the missing crown.
            Isn't it (they) sharp and therefore rub on your tongue?
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

i'm missing the second from end at back, but my wisdom tooth is still there, none of the others have come through (apparently i have a small gob, it's official) to be honest, don't even notice (broke it eating a mint imperial) ...... anyway if it's a choice between a crown or having it ripped out with pliers, with a dentists knee on my chest, and hours of bleeding ........ ermmmmm crown every time funnily enough

Comment

Originally posted by madmax View Post
                there is no root to put a standard crown on and they have to do something exotic sounding (I was sat in the dentist chair quaking so not paying full attention to the information)
                thats what happened with mine,no tooth above the gum, they drill into the root and remove the soft stuff, fill it and put a metal post in, doesn't hurt at all wiv anaesthetic ........ it's the injections that finish me off.
                Last edited by lynda66; 12-12-2008, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                  Isn't it (they) sharp and therefore rub on your tongue?
                  Not often, though there are the odd times when I get an ulcer for a day or so. Bonjela is cheaper and less stressful than the dentist

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                  thats what happened with mine,no tooth above the gum, they drill into the root and remove the soft stuff, fill it and put a metal post in, doesn't hurt at all wiv anaesthetic ........ it's the injections that finish me off.
                  Tis the bill that puts me off - I can just about cope with the valium and all but that 500 quid is just way beyond reach just now!!!
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

Thanks - now I really feel ill.

My phobia is definately needles - I had an NHS dentist 15yrs ago that was used to crazies like me and didn't use needles - just the blissful gas, now I've moved I can't find another. Last time I visited a dentist (10yrs ago - the shame) I was just going under the gas when I saw a nurse holding a filling gun(think big hypodermic). Apparently I freaked, swivelled round in the chair and floored the anaesthetist (?) - all 6ft square of him, me be 5ft 2''!

Bless them, they still did the work and the guy I thumped came and laughed at me as well -I still have no recollection but a dental nurse friend tells me that getting 'drunk and disorderly' can be common without the sedative injection before hand.

If I win the lottery they're all out and replaced with screw - ins....under general anaesthetic

Comment

I usually take some headphones and play REALLY loud music to drown out what they are doing. The trouble comes when they have to give you instructions lol as you can't hear them!

janeyo

Comment

Right me loves!!(haven't properly read posts as I genuinely have a real phobia & getting passed Piskies 1st question was enough!!!...but get the gist this is now for Shirl also??)
                        I've got a couple of caps...had done under sedation.Both quite some time ago so can't remember exact price....however...one came out last year & thankfully I was sensible enough to take it with me to the dentist(nearly chucked it out thinking they'd want to make me a nice new one!)...popping it back cost approx 45 squid.But if I remember correctly,had they needed to make a new one it would have been £120 & I'm sure they said that is the maximum amount for any treatment on NHS,(regardless of how much work?)...Don't absolutely quote me on it,but I think they have 3 bands...check up & basics~*£25...fillings/extractions~*£45....and any work that needs to be done in lab(ie~caps/dentures)*£125. All prices regardless of how many teeth need doing,as long as it's all recorded as needing doing at start of treatment.
                        *~approx
                        Good Luck.
                        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Dentists - Dentist Prices and Information for NHS and Private Dentists average private cost of crown £443
                          found at Dentist Prices - NHS Dental Treatment Charges,
                          £16.20 - This charge includes an examination, diagnosis and preventive care. If necessary, this includes X-rays, scale and polish, and planning for further treatment. Urgent and out-of-hours care also costs £16.20.
                          £44.60 - This charge includes all necessary treatment covered by the £16.20 charge PLUS additional treatment such as fillings, root canal treatment or extractions.
                          £198 -This charge includes all necessary treatment covered by the £16.20 and £44.60 charges PLUS more complex procedures such as crowns, dentures or bridges

I have a tooth that is filled and occasionally hurts when I bite, but the occasionally is getting more often. The dentist said it is probably a hairline crack, so he's waiting for it to fall apart. Frantically saving for 'tooth fund'. I am lucky though, when I moved back to the area 10 years ago I went back to my old dental practice and they took me on as an NHS patient.

As far as caps, I had 2 front teeth capped over 30 years ago to help 'straighten' my teeth as they were too soft to wear braces. One is still the original, the other had to be replaced about 5 years ago.

My mum had all her teeth out at 20, so I'm not doing too bad as I still have them all except for the ones removed to 'make room' for the others. Plenty of fillings though I have always gone every 6 months, clean at least twice daily, floss, mouthwash and still have fillings. BIL has filthy teeth, you can SEE the plaque, smelly breath, but never needs anything done at the dentist. I think that's the only time he cleans them.
                          I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                          Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

i have two caps
                            did have three, lost one due to the tooth being not enough left to hold the post
                            having the posts done is not nice, but not unbearable, if it was i wouldn't have had them done
                            mine were done on the NHS but of course they are going to cost a fair bit private
                            Vive Le Revolution!!!
                            'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                            Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                              anyone had it done?
                              is it horrid?
                              does it last?
                              is it expensive on private?
                              Yes
                              much better than 'root canal' work (isn't everything?)
                              Yes
                              Could be worse.
                              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

You guys are sooooooooooo brave

I don't go to the dentist - ever!

Got a hole in one now, so I've had to stop eating Bounty bars, because the coconut gets stuck in. Never floss - my teeth are too close together. That's probably why they don't fall out.

If I ever lose one, and have to go and get any work done, they'll have to knock me out, I am the biggest coward in the world. They'd have to use gas to knock me out, no one comes near me with a needle.
                                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X