Helping the hidden homeless

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping the hidden homeless

A few months ago I was made aware of several men in our town who were surf sofaing. They were born and brought up in this town and were all working. They don’t earn enough to rent privately and they can’t get housing association accommodation. I have a summerhouse/workshop at the end of my garden and have instigated a Thursday meal night for them. Tonight was Burmese chicken curry. It’s always a stew type meal. I usually leave them to it as a social men’s night although I’m always welcome to join them and did last week. It’s a lovely atmosphere and as the shed is surrounded by trees you can imagine you’re in a forest.

I love the chance to cook for people, it ensures they get at least 1 square meal a week and I get to cook it.
    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

Wow!…that is amazingly generous and caring of you Janie.
    Sounds like you are bringing a bit of normality to their lives. Well done x
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I’m not really being generous and caring. I’m actually finding it a bit of a pita. It started out as me providing stew and farinacious substance til today asking if I’m providing chips, bhajis and samosas. They brought them along and had the cheek to ask if my ovens worked. I’m now thinking they’re taking the piss.
      "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
      "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
      Oxfordshire

Comment

Hi All,
        Maybe try giving the Government some, it may claw some of that £22Bn black hole that has suddenly appeared nothing to do with all the waste we spend on foreign aid vanity projects and MP's expenses claims etc. etc. etc. etc...........

You know it a shame that the endless cycle of various governments have ignored the home grown homelessness, All we do is vote for what in reality are just false promises with each successive governments blaming the priors lack of spending on whatever. Instead of admitting the truth of they are inheriting the pervious governments problems which in reality have just grown each time a new government is formed going back through the years to before many on this forum were born.

Governments are elected on empty promises with those who have nothing getting short shrift each and every time, IMPO all governments do is Borrow, Spend, and Blame without taking responsibility for their own failures. It never ceases to amaze me that so many failed MP's are still able to influence decision making of current Governments with some even being asked back Instead of just walking away from the trough they fed at sadly...

It really is sad that it takes the likes of people such JanieB to donate time and money (Which they do not really have) when it is viably possible to feed and home these people instead of the Governments vanity projects elsewhere whether it be in the UK or abroad let alone making law breakers welcome instead of turning them around as what is really needed, there just is not the infrastructure to add all this extra pressure add on top of hat money given for arms to assist a corrupt country.

Amyway well done JanieB you are truly well worth the praise of all on here for your efforts.........

Geoff.
        Last edited by 1batfastard; Yesterday, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X