No more drinking any more .....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    I wonder if it's the holding of the glass and slurping ( bit like the holding of the cigarette and drawing on it) which is what the mind is missing out of the 'habit'?

maybe you could buy some fizzy , but a bit exotic, non alcoholic drink like sparking elderflower and drink it from a champagne glass.
    It'll sort of fulfill the holding and slurping side of the 'habit' whilst the body gets used to the lack of alcohol.
    Drinks like that are certainly cheaper than a bottle of wine- and there are loads of flavours available- ginger etc.
    It'll also fulfill the 'treat' aspect too.

Just a thought!
    Nicos, I have just finished my first bottle of Morrisons Elderflower and Grape sparkling. Although it's nothing like red wine it is gorgeous and I am rushing out today to buy more. It is very light and refreshing (serve chilled) and sort of special. I am putting the sugar etc to the back of my mind!

My OH remarked last night that I began to drink more when I stopped smoking so beware all you clever ex-smokers!

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    I've discovered that I drink too much because I am thirsty (I don't feel thirsty or I would have water).
    If I switch to OJ & tonic instead of having another wine, I down it in one. I hadn't realised I was thirsty ... my brain was telling me I wanted booze, when in fact it meant 'fluid'.
    Anyone looked at this yet? Down Your Drink - Are you drinking too much?
    I know this was a problem, I'm thirsty therefore I need wine. Last night I was getting really twitchy until I had my pint of lychee'n'ice. I've had a look at that site - not signed on yet as it seems a bit like going the AA route (nothing wrong with that but not for me), and I was nervous enough about telling the Grapes that I was worried. I filled out the initial questionnaire and the site said 'you may have a problem', may, MAY?!
    Nell

Comment

Tammy, hello again.

I wonder if Nicos's suggestion regarding the sparkling grape etc would help you as well in the evenings. The ritual is there (open frindge, open bottle, get out special wine glass, pour waiting for fizzy little bubbles to pop, etc) which may help you. I remember the ritual was so much part of smoking.

As for the coffee, tricky. I'm just getting back to normal because my OH who has a serious habit has gone back to work after hols. For the last couple of weeks each time I looked around another cup of coffee had appeared.

You could try the fruit tea route (yeeeugghh! sorry but I can't get on with them), or again involve ritual and only drink 'proper' coffee (decaff) so you have to grind the beans and make it in the cafetierre (sp?) and wait?? I don't know, it will probably take so much time you'll be popping the Nescaf in no time.

And bad Tammy, never instead of breakfast!
      Nell

Comment

I stopped drinking when I became a single parent with a young daughter. Just the thought of something happening and not being able to drive, as I would be over the limit, was all the motivation I needed. If I do get wine bought as a gift these days I use it to cook with.

Filtered coffee became my vice but I've recently managed to cut this down with decaff and half-n-half - though I have had some reet banging headaches recently. I do try and drink filtered, refrigerated tap water with a dash of PLJ, lemon or lime. My daughter has helped as she takes a water bottle to school - something that was actively encouraged at primary school. She still won't touch any sugary fizzy drinks. At Christmas she'll have a glass of Sloer (sp?) grape juice.
        aka Neil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X