No announcement yet.

marriage vows

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think one of the loveliest expressions comes in the closing scene of Thomas Hardy's book 'Far From the Madding Crowd' (filmed starring Julie Christie and Alan Bates) - when, as part of an agreement to marry, Gabriel, speaking of what he wants in life, says to Bathsheba -

"that when I look up, there will you be; and when you look up, there will I be."
    My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Not vows as such- but I heard someone say..many years ago..that for a good marriage you need to try and work out each others faults- and then not to criticise or try and change them, but to support the other person's weaknesses so that together you are stronger .

Nice really- isn't it?
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Congratulations Rainbowbrite. I think we can all find you some lovely readings for your ceremony but I think your vows are so important they have to be kept as simple as possible and personal to you otherwiae they just become a flowery statement rather than the sacred promises you make to each other.
        Have a think about what it is you want to promise each other and work round that. You might find the traditional vows used in church ceremonies are not too far away.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
          ......................Have a think about what it is you want to promise each other and work round that. You might find the traditional vows used in church ceremonies are not too far away.
          Apart from the OBEY bit of course!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Advice for a happy marriage

To keep your marriage brimming
            with love in the loving cup -
            whenever you're wrong, admit it,
            and whenever you're right, shut up.

Written by Ogden Nash
            Last edited by maytreefrannie; 19-03-2009, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Oh I LOVE Ogden Nash - I have a big book of his collected poems. Another I like says that the best recipe for happiness is that the couple should be incompatible.

As long as He has the income - and SHE is pattable!

(PC fiends would have a field day with that but it makes me snigger! I love word-play and he was so good at it!)
              Last edited by Flummery; 19-03-2009, 08:32 AM.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                Oh I LOVE Ogden Nash - I have a big book of his collected poems. Another I like says that the best recipe for happiness is that the couple should be incompatible.

As long as He has the income - and SHE is pattable!

(PC fiends would have a field day with that but it makes me snigger! I love word-play and he was so good at it!)

Absolutely agree, Flummery - I love Ogden Nash too - as you say, not always PC enough for today's world, but such witty observations on life, all in a gentle way, truth delivered with humour.
                Last edited by maytreefrannie; 19-03-2009, 08:48 AM.

Comment

About the Apache blessing - I think this would work beautifully read by best man, bridesmaid or one of the parents at the reception, as a lead-up to a toast.

Comment

A good marriage is like a roller coaster ride. You hold hands on the high bits, because you want to share the lovely view, and you hold hands on the low bits, to offer reassurance when it gets scary.

NEVER go to bed angry with each other. Even if the best you can do is 'agree to disagree, until morning', make up your quarrels (and if you care, there WILL be quarrels, because it always hurts a bit when someone you love doesn't see life the same way you do) in the evenings. By morning, they may no longer seem worth the bother!
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie View Post
                      About the Apache blessing - I think this would work beautifully read by best man, bridesmaid or one of the parents at the reception, as a lead-up to a toast.
                      I've asked my sister to read it while we sign the register, instead of having music played.
                      Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        Apart from the OBEY bit of course!
                        Snadger, I married in church 30 years ago in July and even back then the obey bit had been changed to 'cherish'
                        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by kirsty b View Post
                          I've asked my sister to read it while we sign the register, instead of having music played.

What a lovely idea, the makings of a very happy memory.
                          Last edited by maytreefrannie; 20-03-2009, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X