No announcement yet.

Domestic Goddess???-or not?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hate microwaves. Vitamin killing, dodgy natural chemistry of cooking murdering tools of the devil which do not carmelise, crust or keep in moisture. Wrong, wrong, wrong! Don't have a dishwasher though wouldn't mind just never got round to finding space for one.
    Machines are great to help us make time for the important things in life. However mindless consumerism which leads to replacing prefectly good things simply to upgrade is repulsive. I've got and use daily the same mixer. food processor, iron and juicer I had 24 years back when I decided to have kids and make a home. They still work great just like this old 'appliance'

Comment

I've got a sewing machine that my OH found down the dump and bought for 3 quid. Won't change it unless it actually falls to bits. Agree with you on the upgrading just for the sake of it though. If it ain't broke, why go to the expense of replacing it?
      Would however love a dishwasher cos I really hate washing up.
      Kirsty b xx

Comment

We had to leave our dishwasher behind when we moved here 4 years ago as we had no room for one; oh how my OH misses it; he ends up doing them all the time; even when it's our daughter's turn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Quite agree about the mindless consumerism thing. Although sometimes getting something repaired if it is older than about 5 years can be a nightmare. I still have the same sewing machine I bought when I worked in a sewing machine shop at 17. I use the food processor that belonged to my mum and the only bit that is broken is the egg white whisk but I have a hand held mixer that can do those, just wish I could get "balloons" for it, they were the business. We bought new "white goods" when we bought the house and need to replace one of the doors on the fridge/freezer which will be less than getting a new one.

Don't have a dishwasher and don't think I need one at the mo. Our TV is 14" and easily 8-9 years old and will not be replaced until it dies even though Mr E keeps going on about a widescreen one. It's not necessary at the moment.

Some of the tools we use belonged to my dad when they had the house in france and even then I think they were second hand.

And I'm a dab hand at using up leftovers - my mother taught me well.
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

I travel a lot. Some 3 months or so trips to very exotic locations cost less than £1000.00. Mind you I sleep in a hut and eat local.
            I've been told 'You are so lucky to be able to do this. Sigh sigh'
            My answer is 'That £1000.00 fake range type cooker you have? I didn't buy one' Good old ugly gas double oven bought second hand for £50.00 still going strong.
            Your God knows how many £1000.00s shiny 4 wheel drive vehicle ( cus you gotta have it to go to Sainsburys) with extra twiddly bits. Nope.
            Prada handbag @ £500.00? That buys me an Air ticket to Singapore and fast train through Malaysia to the Perhentian Islands. Top diving site of natural Marine beauty in the world. No contest in the desirability stakes in my book
            I lust after a bit of land and some damn sturdy boots to stride about it in. I could prob'ly buy it for the same price as a couple of pairs of Jimmy Choos ( or whatever they're called)

Are these people nuts?

Whoops! Sorry for the rant. Back on topic. we should have no guilt about using machines but should only replace them when they cease to be practical not for a style or fashion or ' next new thing' statement.

Comment

Well said PT! I agree with you - although some of my friends, who earn "considerably more" than I do, don't understand why I use something till it breaks and cant be mended. Same with clothes - my father was gob smacked when I told him I buy clothes from charity shops. I believe in using what I've got and reusing anything I'm able to. This is particularly true in my garden (as mentioned in other threads) DDL
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I think you're right Pickledtink. There are people out there who know the price of everything and the value of nothing. I think we all have to set our own values and live life accordingly. I'm sure I've said this before, but I'm glad we're all different. If everybody was the same they would all be the same as me - and they would drive me nuts !

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I agree TP... it's about the value you put on things and what's important. I check out the local sense shop my Mum voulenteers in when I want something and won't hide the fact I bought it. I shop in Peacocks etc. I never have much money spare and my aim is to get rid of all outstanding debts (mortgage incl in this task) but evn if I had tones spare I would still live the same as I don't see the point of spending lots of money when I'll likely to be bored of it soon etc, and I like charity shops as it's the 3R's principle plus money goes to a good cause
                  Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X