No announcement yet.

Latest River Cottage series

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's the kind of tv that makes you angry and embarrased. I just want to watch, learn and dream.

Comment

i liked it, makes us feel better about our chooks and ducks, its nice to know we're not the only ones, bob gets a lot of grief at work for the way we choose to live our lives and programes like this help to open peoples eyes.
      Yo an' Bob
      Walk lightly on the earth
      take only what you need
      give all you can
      and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

I thought the programme was excellent. I watched the chicken being killed which was horrible but I thought as I eat it, I should see how they are killed. Both me and hubby did agree we should stay away fom the cheap chicken and try organic/free range but i think it's a cost issue but I would rather have one nice chicken than two chickens which are proberly not very nice.

I was like the bloke who did not like Vegetables but luckily my husband has slowly been getting me to try and eat different vegetables. I am now growing them so hopefully my veg range will expand. My latest vegetable I love is asparagus - i hear many people dont like this so many of my close friends are really surprised I eat it.

I did actually say to my husband - oh my god, that used to me, I am so glad I changed :-)
        http://warmanallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

The whole 'not eating veg' thing, resulted in me saying to OH "Right, well our kids are gonna eat everything from an early age" and him responding "definitely!" as I've heard that you get less picky eaters if they eat a varied diet from a young age.
          As someone who does eat fruit and veg, I find it really difficult to comprehend people that don't eat it. I don't mean those that don't like this and don't like that, because not everyone has the same tastes (personally I don't like beetroot, but that's about it veg wise), but to me, not liking ANY veg is an alien concept. And that's not in any way aimed at you Lozza, as you're obviously a 'reformed character' , I just can't understand it.

We've decided we're going to get most, if not all our meat from local farm shops that trade locally - esp the ones which actually tell you how the animals are reared. I really miss the one we moved away from last year: Farringtons. Fab place. In fact, if I visit friends over that way, I plan a trip their to stock up!

Comment

No worries Waffler

To be honest I think I was being lazy. My husband has been excellent and works very hard to introduce me to new veg. The only veg I did eat was canned sweetcorn!!!

I think when I was little I just didnt eat it and my parents didnt make me eat my veg. Warning to all parent, make your kids eat veg or they will be like me!!! I think I had to change as going out for a meal was a pain as most dishes involved Veg and I was restricted to what I could eat.

When I have children, I will be making them eat loads of fruit and veg as I dont want them to be like me.

Lozza

Comment

Well at least you ate something!
              I've known people like that at works meals: one girl only ever had the marguerita pizza choice because she didn't like the veg and didn't eat meat. I just feel sorry for people that have such limited choices (esp those who have them inflicted on them eh! with intolerances and allergies): I love my food so much it would be horrible to think that I couldn't have the full pick of the menu.

Comment

Lozza that sounds brill! so pleased you've decided to eat more fruit and veg! I'm by no means an expert (I'm still not that good on fruit) but love my veggies! If you check out the "in the kitchen" section there are lots of lovely recipes (just look for dexterdog!) to try. DDL would love to know how you get on.
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi DDL

Where can I find "in the kitchen" section

Comment

Originally posted by lozza_9 View Post
                    No worries Waffler

To be honest I think I was being lazy. My husband has been excellent and works very hard to introduce me to new veg. The only veg I did eat was canned sweetcorn!!!

I think when I was little I just didnt eat it and my parents didnt make me eat my veg. Warning to all parent, make your kids eat veg or they will be like me!!! I think I had to change as going out for a meal was a pain as most dishes involved Veg and I was restricted to what I could eat.

When I have children, I will be making them eat loads of fruit and veg as I dont want them to be like me.

Lozza
                    I was the fussiest kid around. Up to the age of about 9 i only ate meat and spuds. When Stepma came on the scene she wouldn't tolerate it and gradually got me trying new stuff. I now eat most veg, trying new stuff all the time and when I had my littlun I gave her everything, even Marmite and I hate the stuff. It works, she's nowhere near as fussy as I was.
                    Kirsty
                    Kirsty b xx

Comment

Lozza you want the section Season To Taste.
                      [

Comment

Cheers Lesley

Comment

Originally posted by Waffler View Post
                          We thought it was a good show and, once again, great for showing the relationship between animal and meat: I for one am guilty of being hypocritical where meat is concerned and know how easy it is to buy a pack of meat not resembling the original animal in any way - so good for Hugh for reminding us. I'm surprised nobody turned veggie after watching the slaughter.
                          What was a little disappointing was that there was so little difference in cost between the 'good' and 'bad' meals. OH and I often shout at the TV when families with not too much money buy ready meals and take-aways, telling them if they made stuff from scratch they'd save money. Unfortunatetly it seems this isn't really the case - or not unless they buy the value packs of meat anyway. I know Hugh managed to make a great soup from the carcass, as I'm sure many of us would, but we thought there would've been a greater saving in the first place.
                          The one woman who wouldn't convert annoyed me a bit, when she said something along the lines of it being 'disrespectful' (or similar) to eat the chicken's feet. Surely part of the point of the exercise was to demonstrate that in rearing your own meat, you show the animal respect by wasting as little of the product as possible. (I did laugh to myself when they buried the head so shallow in the ground: Hugh will have that up again in no time when he plants his veg!)
                          I think there is a whole generation that only cook what comes out of a tin or packet,probably out of idleness,bit like the young lad in the show,pizza with everything.

Comment

I watched it (of course I did - I will still watch any of the River Cottage programmes for the 375th time). Excellent programme I thought, a lot of the HFW philosophy on food from start to table are echoed in the excellent River Cottage Cookbook which I highly recommend to anyone who finds this series fascinating.

Well done Hugh.

Matt.
                            Birchtree plot forever.

Comment

Well, I went shopping this morning to pick up a few essentials from the supermarket. I went to the egg section and I just had visons of all those thousands of birds crammed into sheds. I felt physically sick when I thought about it. I of course, chose free range eggs and will do from now on. Goodness knows what I would have done if I had been buying a chicken! DDL
                              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

The egg issue changed for us when we got our own chickens and realised how tough their shells were and how big and yellow the yolks were, now only ever buy free range but as hugh said in the programme you cant blame the farmers as they are so under pressure from the big stores, its a sad world.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X