Latest River Cottage series

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burnie View Post
    I was under the impresion that all home do it yourself slaughtering was banned by law,in the case of mammals it even has to be done in a licensed abbatoirs.
    Really even fowl? Any idea how I could find out about this?

Comment

Hi Caroline - think it had something to do with if your meat/eggs etc are going to be eaten by others (not just yourself). I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will be able to answer your question. DDL
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

According to defra a license is not required for "the owner of a bird who slaughters or kills it for his/her own private consumption;"

Given that RC is a commercial venture they would need to get a licenced slaughter man in.

There's an interesting document from defra here.
        But be warned it is 26 meg in size so unless you are on broadband dont bother
        Last edited by 25cowlane; 05-11-2006, 11:56 AM.
        http://www.cowlane.org.uk

Comment

Thanks for that 25cowlane. I'll try and wade through the report

Comment

just noticed this is only a 3 part series. Thursday the 23rd Nov they are repeating the RC Roadtrip

Comment

I am 'veggie',my hubby'vegan',but I did actually watch the program and found it really interesting(must admit to closing eyes when chick being killed).We to are on low income,but we dont smoke,and only drink at home occasionally,as we prefer to buy a bit better quality food.Even we are eating different sorts of vegs since growing our own.My two grandchildren have been brought up on fruits and veg but are really fussy eaters!!!!can't win!

Comment

if its a help to anyone, we have organic free frange duck and chook eggs, more than we can eat especially in the summer, we give them away to friends and familly, but still have more than we can eat, but not enough to sell.
                if anyone lives locally to us and wants them please feel free we wont charge for them, a little lettuce or somthing for a treat for the birds would be appriciated tho.
                we travel to lancashire leeds wakefield wales and north yorkshire frequently so would be happy to drop some off ifs on the way.
                Yo an' Bob
                Walk lightly on the earth
                take only what you need
                give all you can
                and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

If you are coming past ours, then there's always a cup of tea n a slice of cake going for you both! I love free range eggs, so any coming this way would be a bonus, but the chance of meeting another likeminded couple of folks would be more of a boon methinks!
                  Blessings
                  Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                  Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                  Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                  On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

PMed you mrs D
                    Yo an' Bob
                    take only what you need
                    give all you can

Comment

whatever your buget and circumstanses every little thing you do makes a difference if you can only afford a 5th of your shopping organic its a big message to the supermarkets, and the more the supermarkets buy in organic the more the farmers will grow organic and the more organic stuff on the market the lower the price. (but the downside is then that farmers will try to make shortcuts and rules about labeling will suffer) but if you get involved with local box scemes that helps and some are quite reasonably priced, but you have to be inventive with your menus in the winter as you tend to get spuds and beetroot a lot!
                      every little helps!
                      Yo an' Bob
                      take only what you need
                      give all you can

Comment

Totally agree Yoanbob! Every little helps, even if it means smaller portions for buying organic or ethically produced meats. Havent tried a box scheme locally, I know there's supposed to be a good one in Lancashire, but havent really found one locally yet!
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

dont know if they cover you but we tried farmaround north before we got the lottie!
                          very good.
                          Yo an' Bob
                          take only what you need
                          give all you can

Comment

Thanks for that Yoanbob, I'll take a look!
                            Blessings
                            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Totally agree yoanbob! DDL
                              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Try northernharvest.co.uk Mrs D - well it's northern harvest in warrington. I've used them for ages - WELL recommended! DDL
                                Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X