What Are You Reading?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got two books on the go at the moment,

'Making Money' Terry Pratchett, which is oddly prophetic in this current economic climate and...

'The Dilbert Principle' by Scott Adams author of the Dilbert comic strip. Its all about management techniques good and bad, and explains a lot about my OH (in the chapter entitled 'Engineers') and a lot about the manager who lent me the book in the first place (which is really funny, coz I can't imagine he sees himself reflected in this book at all!!)
    Last edited by Pumpkin Becki; 24-06-2009, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Im reading Practical Allotments, great book for a newbie!
      I hate slugs!!

Comment

dipping into..
        Colour - Victoria Finlay
        In The Shadow Of Memory - Floyd Skloot
        and Permaculture mag.

Comment

High probability trading strategies by Robert Miner

Comment

HP & the Deathly Hallows, again. (4th or 5th time). Couldn't find anything else I fancied to read yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              Just finished The Last templar then watched the film which I thought was carp.
              I thought the book was brilliant, but watched the film and was so non-plussed by it I fell asleep half way through!

Originally posted by daleclarke View Post
              Just read 'Sovereign' from C J Sansom, it has to be one of the best written books ever, hooks you in and then boom.

Started 'The Pillars of the Earth' by Ken Follett only because people were saying how good it was then watched the Big Read and it was voted one of the best of all time, so had to give it go. At 1000 pages its big but it certainly is a book that you do not want to put down but you have to because it is so heavy
              Oh yes, love those 2! My mum lent me the Follett, there is a second one out as well, but she hasn't finished it yet!

I've just finished "The Bad Mothers Handbook" which was alternately a laugh-out-loud and a tearjerker... very good!

Not sure what is next, I just dip into my library book-bag and see what I chose at the weekend!
              Last edited by OverWyreGrower; 24-06-2009, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I've read Pillars of Earth too - one holiday - a great read. and of course, Making Money is priceless!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Over the last two weeks I have re-read all the 'Earth's Children' series by Jean M. Auel - wish she would hurry along with the last one!

Also read 'Six Sacred Pillars' by Matthew Reilly in between. Now reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini (?) then going to read Eldest and the third one in the series.

I really must try Terry Pratchett some time - are they to be read in a particular order?
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

I found the first two Pratchetts harder work - read them out of order. I started with Witches Abroad. Got hooked!

I've read the Earth's Children series too - she must have got late writer's block!
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                      I've got two books on the go at the moment,

'Making Money' Terry Pratchett, which is oddly prophetic in this current economic climate and...

'The Dilbert Principle' by Scott Adams author of the Dilbert comic strip. Its all about management techniques good and bad, and explains a lot about my OH (in the chapter entitled 'Engineers') and a lot about the manager who lent me the book in the first place (which is really funny, coz I can't imagine he sees himself reflected in this book at all!!)
                      It's not the first time Pratchett has 'gone prophetic'. Jingo (which I am reading for the umpteenth time) did something of the same sort......
                      He is SO good at human nature. He doesn't even need to invent the silliness of people, just exaggerates a bit and makes you notice.......
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                        Over the last two weeks I have re-read all the 'Earth's Children' series by Jean M. Auel - wish she would hurry along with the last one!

I really must try Terry Pratchett some time - are they to be read in a particular order?
                        I thought she had finished the series? I've read everything in paperback, up to Shelters of Stone... is she writing a new one?

Re Pratchett - yes and no... the earlier books tend to introduce some of the main characters (not all the characters are in each book); and if you were to read some of the later books about (for example) Sam Vimes, you might not appreciate them, as you wouldn't know the history. Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post

Also read 'Six Sacred Pillars' by Matthew Reilly in between. Now reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini (?) then going to read Eldest and the third one in the series.

Some of them are better for having read the earlier ones, but basically they will stand alone.
                          I have (somewhere) all the Discworld stories, and a couple of his others. Most people enjoy the first one more if it reflects an interest they have (unfortunately he hasn't written any about gardening). Wyrd Sisters owes a lot to Macbeth, Pyramids is rather... Egyptian, etc....
                          Pyramids was the first I read, and I was firmly hooked!
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                            I thought she had finished the series? I've read everything in paperback, up to Shelters of Stone... is she writing a new one?

Re Pratchett - yes and no... the earlier books tend to introduce some of the main characters (not all the characters are in each book); and if you were to read some of the later books about (for example) Sam Vimes, you might not appreciate them, as you wouldn't know the history. Does that make sense?
                            There is another one in the works - she takes such a long time to research it all. However, she claims to have mapped out the whole story before starting writing them so I am confused why it should be so long between these last books!

Will have to look at wikipedia and find out the discography for Pratchett and then ebay to find a couple of early ones and see how I go with them. I also love all the Piers Anthony Xanth novels and have a fair few of those missing from my collection (didn't realise he hadn't stopped writing them)
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

Scarpetta - Patricia Cornwell - It's not up to her normal standard and it's a struggle to really get into it I'm about quarter way and still hoping it will grip me
                              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

What am I reading? Tellabs EDGE 8660 ATM aggregation manuals and SIAE MUX operation manuals. Supposed to tell me about the interworkings of STM-1, STM-4, E1 and channelised STM-1 ATM systems as well as Inverse Multiplexing over ATM. Makes good bedtime reading. Don't need sleeping tablets.

I hope you guys who use 3G mobile internet realise what pain peeps like me have to go thru' to ensure you get decent data rates on Orange UK!
                                Let's go diggin' dirt....

Big silver bird, come land low and slow
                                Cut your engines, cool your wings,
                                You've taken me home...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X