No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have just started reading Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell, i love his books and dont think he has written a bad book imo. the Sharpe books are brilliant but are a got a little predictable but his newer stuff is excellent
    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
    Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by kernowyon View Post
      i have just started reading Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell, i love his books and dont think he has written a bad book imo. the Sharpe books are brilliant but are a got a little predictable but his newer stuff is excellent
      I liked Azincourt but hated Stonehenge, I also like his Saxon series, but havent read or seen any Sharpe

Comment

Eek, just realized that Sarz says one of my new books is one to be avoided.

My son loves the Sharpe books and he bought me a copy of the 'Stonehenge' one, but I'd already heard that it was historically inaccurate, so still haven't read it and it's been on the bookshelf for years.
        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
          I'm feeling a little under the weather, and after battling it for about ten days have finally given in and I'm going to have 48 hours where I do nothing except put my feet up, drink tea and read.
          Hope you feel better soon... but enjoy the resting time nonetheless!

'Two Caravans' by Marina Lewycka (who wrote 'A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian', which I loved)
          I've heard of the 'Short History..' book - always intrigued me!

'A Spot of Bother' by Mark Haddon
          I really enjoyed this!

the book she sent round last night (Cloud Atlas) was one I'd originally lent her.
          I LOVED Cloud Atlas. Leant it to my sister who leant it to our Aunt who leant it to a friend and I haven't seen it since! Must keep my eye out for another copy in the good old charity shops!

I've nearly finished 'Song of Solomon' by Toni Morrison which has been a good read. Enjoyable and thought provoking. Feel like I'm going to want to re-read it in a few months after I've digested the story and the characters so I can get some of the deeper stuff if you know what I mean!
          http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Eek, just realized that Sarz says one of my new books is one to be avoided.
            You might love it Bluemoon - my friend who's been pressing me to read it says it's one of her all-time favourites - each to their own

'The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters' is a cracker - I got it in a promotional format where they sent it out in installments once a week, very inventive, and I couldn't wait for the next one to arrive.

Comment

I'm a book gulper too.
              I joined the local library and luckily can have up to 12 books at a time.
              Currently re-reading the Isabel Dalhousie books, waiting for last Mark Chadbourn book due July 17th, re-read the 8 preceeding last week, just read the latest John Connolly - I really wanted to make it last, but it ended up read in a couple of hours, and I was going slow.
              I don't want to make it sound like I'm really intellectual or even intelligent, i just devour books..
              Did the same thing as you Bluemoon, had to get an adult card for the library when I'd run through everything in the childrens library. Things got a bit hairy with my parents when they realised I was reading Molly Parkin books...

Comment

Wrong, it's a piece of rubbish and the author is illiterate. I gave up a third of the way through when I came across a sentence which said (after someone had tried to shoot our hero) 'We had nearly gotten dead'.
                Makes you wonder what editors and proof readers get paid for!!

Comment

Yeah, I'm on about 4th time through the Falco books.

I don't think fiction gets proof-read (unless it is by the author). Grammatical errors are the least of it! I wonder whether any of the publishers want a proof-reader?
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

All you lot-added a few titles for my winter list.I was stuck at home for a few days(bloody cold again) so read a couple-Anne McCaffrey-Crystal Singer Omnibus(very good) and Mary Wesley-Part of the Furniture(good),Harnessing Peacocks(very good) and Camomile Lawn(so,so)

Comment

• I've just finished the latest book by Andrea Camilleri, and Nicky Pellegrino's new book, The Italian Wedding.

I've also just finished a trilogy by Carlo Lucarelli, about an Italian policeman during WW2. The stories were more political that I would normally choose, but very thought-provoking. Very up-in-the-air ending though. Before those I read two books by Michele Guittari about an Italian policeman called Ferrara. Oh, and a book by Domenica de Rosa called 'Summer School'.

Seem to have a 'thing' about Italy.....

Last night I started Marcia Willett's The Prodigal Wife and I'll probably finish it tonight. My next book is Chris Stewart's 'Three Ways to Capsize a Boat'

Jules
                      Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

• Books to come back to when needing a long read... Labyrinth and Sepulchre, by Kate Mosse.
                        The 'time jump' stuff is confusing, but good reading!
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

• He he he, there's a coincidence! I was just coming to this thread to ask if anyone has read Sepulchre by Kate Mosse! I read Labyrinth and loved it, so I just bought Sepulchre for 99p off ebay

jules, I just put The Prodigal Wife in my Amazon basket - I have every book she ever wrote, I really like them, but the Chadwicks are particular favourites. I love all the ones with Cass and Kate in as well.
                          Last edited by SarzWix; 16-07-2009, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• I have today started Harry Potter, The Half-Blood Prince. Decided to read it in preparation for going to see the film
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

• Don't read it too closely Shirley Or just skip whole chapters...
                              Thank goodness they are doing the Deathly Hallows in 2 parts!

Comment

• I have felt that way about all the films, that is why I tend to read the book shortly before seeing the movie so that the whole story is fresh in the head.
                                Happy Gardening,
                                Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X