No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tend to notice all the differences between book and film, and so often the bits they have changed are bits I especially liked in the original version, then I get annoyed about it!<g>
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
      I tend to notice all the differences between book and film, and so often the bits they have changed are bits I especially liked in the original version, then I get annoyed about it!<g>
      I felt just like that with 'The Other Boleyn Girl', I appreciate that there is a lot of history to cram into 90 odd minutes of film, but really, it might as well have been called something different because it bore no relation to the book.

Comment

• Just started re-reading (for about the seventh time) "Touching The Void" by Joe Simpson. Incredible story.
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Flummery View Post
          The Warrior's Princess by Barbara Erskine. Never read any of hers before but a friend who had finished it passed it on. Bit sort of historical/supernatural but I keep turning the pages!
          I have all of her books. One or two actually frightened me whilst reading them. All of them based on factual history and so well written!
          I am reading "Salvation Creek" by Susan Duncan another true story and though harrowing in parts is very good.

Comment

• I'm reading 'Fitness for Dummies' as I'm trying to loose weight and get fit, I've joined a gym (me!).

Comment

• If you see the movie of a book first, you don't miss anything and reading the book afterwards is a bonus because you might get extra bits. Doing it the other way around is always always disappointing.

I remember queuing for ages to see the first Harry Potter film. The kids had re-read the book and we so looking forward to it. I think they enjoyed it for what is was, but all we heard in the foyer afterwards were children asking their parents why major bits had been left out.

Jules
              Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

• Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
                Just started re-reading (for about the seventh time) "Touching The Void" by Joe Simpson. Incredible story.
                Top choice SR! One of the very few books I quite literally couldn't put down -started it late one evening and ended up finishing it in the wee hours. Have you read Simpson's other books? Didn't like his novel so much but the all the other mountain/outdoor pursuits ones are superb.

I've just started Stuart Maconie's Cider With Roadies. Pretty amusing so far
                I was feeling part of the scenery
                I walked right out of the machinery
                My heart going boom boom boom
                "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                I've come to take you home."

Comment

• A shed load of Raymond Fiest books are on my bedside cabinet, a new genre for me but quite enjoyable.

Also in the pile is "the book thief". "at worlds end" and the new Lee Child book.

Comment

• Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                    Also in the pile is "the book thief".
                    AMAZING book!

Had me in tears on the train!

I've just started 'Notes From An Exhibition' by Patrick Gale (another charity shop 50p jobby!). Only a few pages in but enjoying it so far.

Did pick up 'West Coast' by Kate Muir and started that before starting 'Notes...' but couldn't get into it.
                    http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

• Have any of you read the olive farm trilogy by carol drinkwater?,
                      I absolutely love them, her other books are rubbish though.
                      I am currently reading sleeping murder by agatha christie.
                      Last edited by hypnophil; 21-07-2009, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• I am reading the Blackstone Manual for trainee Detectives - yawn yawn as I have an exam in September, but dreaming of the day I can ditch it for Sebastian FULKES - BIRDSONG... Have read it a couple of times but it really is amazing and makes me cry evertime.
                        Karen

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
                        Even a journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step!

Comment

• CB has read the first three books of a series by Stephanie Meyer and has convinced me to give them a go. I'm now reading Twilight with New Moon and Eclipse to follow while CB is reading the latest one - Breaking Dawn.........

She's right, half way through the first book - not bad
                          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

• I'm currently reading Full Catastrophe Living, a book on meditation.

I would highly recommend it for stressheads like myself or anyone who is finding it hard to cope for whatever reason.

Comment

• I have to do too much reading at word - deeds and documents etc, to want to do any more when I get home. But I am really enjoying some podcasts, particularly this one - always interesting and thought provoking.

BBC - BBC Radio 4 Programmes - Thinking Allowed
                              Never say never!

Comment

• I have just got back from a weeks holiday & read 5 books whilst i was there:

The Kite runner: Khaled Hosseini
                                Cut: Cathy Glass
                                Acid Row: Minette Walters
                                The Damage Done: Warren Fellows
                                Bright Shiney Morning: James Frey

I was quite dissapointed by James Frey's book, having loved his first two (A Million Little Pieces & My Friend Leonard) i thought this was very strange & disjointed.
                                Jane,
                                keen but (slightly less) clueless
                                http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X