ECO - Watt

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECO - Watt

Came home yesterday to find the house again lit up like The Crystal Palace. I did my normal screaming and as I went round switching of unneeded lights but this time I added up the Wattage......then the shouting started in ernest 1020W. Over a Kilowatt of electricity being wasted.

So today as a treat we went as a family to the well known Swedish Shop in Croydon; where I purchased a pile of Energy Saving Bulbs.

The new bulbs have a total usage of 110W saving 910W.

Ok I spent about £20 on bulbs but I should see the little wheel spin a bit slower now.
    My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Wilkinsons are a good source of low energy bulbs £1 each for the equivalent of a 60W I think it is. I've just got to take all the dimmer switches off now
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Well done you!!!

I would love to use eco bulbs but we have dimmer switches in almost every room and the eco bulbs cannot be used with the dimmers. Would cost a fortune to change all the light switches (coz they are fancy ones) so I am in a real dilemma.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

i have a dimmer on my bedroom lamp and on the lowest setting it flickers a bit but the brighter ones are fine, we have energy saving bulbs in every light.
        Yo an' Bob
        Walk lightly on the earth
        take only what you need
        give all you can
        and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Originally posted by yoanbob View Post
          i have a dimmer on my bedroom lamp and on the lowest setting it flickers a bit but the brighter ones are fine, we have energy saving bulbs in every light.
          Do you think they would be okay in my sitting room where one dimmer controls 4 bulbs and the other controls 6? Coz the bulbs are so expensive I have been afraid to try them and blow something up!
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

I have used energy saving lamps with dimmer switches. They work OK as long as the dimmers are full on, as yoanbob said they flicker if the dimmer is turned down.
            Last edited by Digger-07; 25-11-2006, 07:58 PM.
            Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

I am in the process of changing all my bulbs for eco friendly.

I try to switch everything off that isn't needed also and the central heating gets turned down a notch every few weeks so that you can't tell the difference (not that its been needed at the moment or its because i am tight fisted)

I just think that too much gets wasted. Maybe i am getting old but a few years ago i wouldn't have given a !!!!

I try to recycle as much as i can now and even take a mini compost bin to work to collect tea bags and things.

I think everyone should try a little harder. Every little helps.

Fezinio
              Stout hearts, strength and honour.

Comment

A few years ago it wouldn't have cost the earth ....... literally !!!!
                Last edited by nick the grief; 25-11-2006, 08:40 PM.
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Was searching on t'internet the other day for energy saving bulbs as we've now changed most of our normal ones and I was wondering what we could do with the spot lights etc. Anyway, if you go on the megaman website (www.megamanuk.com) they have some which they can claim are designed for dimmers - don't know how much or where you can get them from but may help.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks for that link Alison, will have a more in depth look at it. Have never had the enrgy saving bulbs as the styles just didn't seem to fit the lights I have although they're nothing unusual.

I can't go about switching all the lights out. I know it's wasteful but I leave the hall light on and a small light in the kitchen. I hate the house all in the dark. Maybe I need an attitude adjustment.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

They are getting better we have a load that we were given by our elect company a few years ago and they are about a foot long and don't fit in to any of the shades.

The ones I got today look just like old style bulbs, So good you would be unabe to tell the differance. Others though they look like mini floresents are the same size as 60w bulbs.

The only ones I now have a probelm with is the mini spots in the kitchen but I am slowly swapping them for 35w when the 50w blow.
                      My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Thanks Nog, I will look into the possibilities.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Also check out Ikea. I can't rememner who much they were, but we bought a three pack to try out and they're fab. I think there were singles in Tesco a few weeks back but we didn't buy any as we couldn't remember what fitting we needed, so no idea how good they are...

If you'e think of electricity savings eco or moneywise (or both) don't forget to switch off things you don't use at the plug
                          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                            Wilkinsons are a good source of low energy bulbs £1 each for the equivalent of a 60W I think it is. I've just got to take all the dimmer switches off now
                            Why hasn't my OH told me about this? Just wait till he gets home! Dexterdog
                            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I got mine at IKEA they were about £2.50 a buld.

I put one in a lamp with a dimmer and no probs. If you twist it on to full power there is no problem if you pput it on half power it buzzes a bit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X