No announcement yet.

Grow a turkey for Christmas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couldn't kill one I'd reared. I have chickens but they are pets that happen to give me eggs.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

we breed slate turkeys here, and we also have plenty of poultry too -somewhere around 130 birds at the moment. We never keep the turkeys on ground or sheds that have had chickens in because of the blackhead. you can go a long way to stopping blackhead by regulariliy i.e every couple of months, worming the adult birds. Black head is caused by a worm so best get it out!

the poults are more susceptable and therefore a bit more care is taken. You must also take care in ensuring that turkeys dont get damp and chill as this will bring problems. They are also prone to respiritory problems so good ventilation is needed.

Turkeys may not be the most interlectual bird, but they are full of character and a charm to have around the place. I havent had a problem with rats, but then again i have four cats and two dogs who love rat so that keeps them under control.

Personally, now we have had them, i would never be without them - even if all they did was be on guard duty - fantastic early warning systems!!
      My Blog
      http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
        Couldn't kill one I'd reared. I have chickens but they are pets that happen to give me eggs.
        You wouldn't need to killl it Flum.............they have a propensity for committing suicide I believe!!!!!!!
        Last edited by Snadger; 08-07-2009, 09:15 PM.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Turkeys have very "human" looking eyes!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            You wouldn't need to killl it Flum.............they have a propensity for committing suicide I believe!!!!!!!
            What? When they spot that the calendar has turned to December!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
              Turkeys have very "human" looking eyes!!!
              Until you get close enough to see the total lack of anything behind there! It's catching too. Spend too long staring into a turkey's eye, looking for signs of a brain, and it will be quite a while before you can talk coherently again!
              Turkeys can be fun (when they don't all drop dead) but brains they have none!
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

'.... It's catching too. Spend too long staring into a turkey's eye, looking for signs of a brain, and it will be quite a while before you can talk coherently again!
                Turkeys can be fun (when they don't all drop dead)..... '

Last edited by tulip; 09-07-2009, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tulip View Post
                  '.... It's catching too. Spend too long staring into a turkey's eye, looking for signs of a brain, and it will be quite a while before you can talk coherently again!
                  Turkeys can be fun (when they don't all drop dead)..... '

Yeah, precisely. Totally brainless, but enjoyable to have around the place (and a way of saving up for Christmas, if you can sell them. You won't make much profit over feed costs, but you won't notice the outgoings, and you WILL notice the income from selling them).
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X