No announcement yet.

End of

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad to read this but the fact that you feel so much lighter hearted for making the decision proves it's a good one. I hope things look up soon. Can't be bad having more family time, especially while the girls are young.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

It sounds like a good decision to me. You have listed so much that you are going to be doing and the back up of paid work and the bonus of some family time. I am sure it will end up working out just fine.
      BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
      Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

If you're relieved, it was a good decision. On the plus side you now know exactly what you need to do should you take up the mantle again, but spending time with your family while you can is probably a good way to go.
        It's all positive.

Comment

Sorry to hear that,but pleased for you that you'll have more family time.
          Good Luck with the next chapter...from what you've put,still sounds like you'll have plenty to do,just hopefully without the extra early mornings & late finishes!
          Hope it all goes OK with the creditors on Monday...think like us...they can't take what you've not got!
          Again Good Luck for the future!x
          Last edited by di; 12-07-2009, 10:07 PM.
          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I've been thinking of you a lot the last few days Ratty, the feelings that came through on your other thread were of weariness, almost a touch of depression? It didn't seem like the you that has come through in posts in the past. I am soooo glad to read that you have managed to find a way through, and that some of the weight has lifted from your shoulders.

Comment

Well done for having the guts to make such a tough decision! I know you worked really hard and it must be difficult for you but I bet when you're an old fella, you'll never look back and think 'I wish I'd spent more time taping up wind blasted polytunnels', whereas you may well have thought 'I wish I'd seen more of my girls growing up'

Wishing you every success for the future
              I was feeling part of the scenery
              I walked right out of the machinery
              My heart going boom boom boom
              "Hey" he said "Grab your things
              I've come to take you home."

Comment

hope it all works out well SR, you've tried (hard) and thats often the hardest part and you are not a failure for getting out before it gets too difficult to extract yourself. Enjoy your time with the family they're not with you for very long and take care of you & yours x
                The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Sorry to hear you had to make the tough call, all the best for the future
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

As a dad who missed a lot of his kids growing up due to working too much, I'm sure your decision will turn out for the best.
                    We all know on here that you gave it everything, and you have done something that a lot of us can only dream of doing.
                    Best of luck for the future, and enjoy the girls growing up.
                    Bob Leponge
                    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Dude, I have to say that having read your posts in the past and knowing how much work you guys put into the business I'm gutted for you that it hasn't worked out how you'd planned.

However, as you've said - you have other priorities and well done for making what was undoubtedly a tough decision.

Nobody other than you can say if it's the right one or not only you, but I truly hope it works out the way you want it, and I hope you are successful in whatever measure of success you chose.

Having recently become a father myself I can understand the wrench of being away from your kids, I look forward to seeing Hayden each and very day, so being away from your girls for such an amount of time must've been hard.

It's apparent that you had started to consider it as a burden and I'm glad that feeling has lifted for you.

Good luck in whatever the future holds for you and yours - whatever that may be, and I mean that dude.

Good karma in a first class envelope coming your way.

On a side note - maybe we'll get to see more of you on here...?
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post

On a side note - maybe we'll get to see more of you on here...?
                        That would be lovely !!!!
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hey Rat, being a 'provider' doesn't just mean financially does it, your family will really appreciate the quality time they get with you now. A tough decision to make I know, but it sounds like you've come to a really positive compromise.

Best of luck

Comment

SR,
                            I have constantly been amazed at the amount of work you have put in and the amount you have grown in what must be a fairly hostile climate compared to some of us more southerly softies. It sounds to me, as others have said, that you have made the right decision for you and your family. However, as I read what you have posted, the important thing is that you will still be using your horticultural skills and getting the satisfaction from doing that, albeit for someone else's benefit. Hopefully we shall still have the benefit of your advice on here and I'm sure that opportunities will arise for you to use your knowledge in different directions up there.

All the best for the future and enjoy your family while they are young, they fly the nest all too soon.

PS. If you've got some spare time perhaps you could take up Scottish fiddle too!!!!!

Comment

I can't add anything to what everyone else has said, but really, best wishes for the future SR.
                              Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                              So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
                                The Party is over. I have now officially called it quits, although all the veggies are planted (except the leeks which are started but not finished), and the rent is paid til February.
                                I hope to secure 4 paid days a week working between the estate garden and the posh walled garden, leaving the Fridays free for delivering veg boxes to the remaining customers. I will continue to supply veg boxes although there will no longer be any extras bought in, such as organic eggs, fruit and cheese but once my veggies run out, that'll be it.
                                I will also attend two Farmers Markets each month.
                                Have spoken to my landlord and he is happy for me to keep as much or as little of the 5 acres that I want, so I'm keeping about an acre, including the shed and polytunnel - I will be growing young veg plants for a local Garden Centre next Spring, and growing for myself, my family and the hotel, with possibly surplus for the Farmers Market.
                                The veggies that are in will have to cope on their own - at least we have a decent amount of rain today - first in god knows how long.
                                Things will be real tight for a while - gotta speak to my creditors on Monday to make arrangements for repaying them - not looking forward to that one.
                                However, having made the decision, I feel that great weight has been lifted ffom my shoulders and hey - I'll still be self employed but will have lots more time to spend with my wife and kids - something I am accutely aware has been lacking for this last while.
                                I loved doing it, and am genuinely upset that it didn't work out, but you just get the head down and get on with life.
                                Oh No! I am gutted for you.
                                At least you followed a dream and not many of us are brave enough to ever do that. You have been an inspiration to all of us!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X