No announcement yet.

Saved the Planet

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your quite right Alison but by far the biggest impact anybody can have is by growing their own fruit and veg. Apparently if you are 70% self sufficient with fruit and veg an average family of 4 will save 30,000Kw hours of energy. This energy is saved in transport, storage, packaging even the savings on fertilizer and pesticides.

Everybody can recycle or walk or use less packaging, and they should, but I resent being taxed to death in the name of "Green Policies". That is just a New Labour cop out.

Global warming happens in cycles and will naturally continue to do so, Profligate waste of resources and polution are not natural and should be tackled with great urgency.

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
      Fiends of the Earth
      Was that a typo valmarg?!

I take your point, but trying to persuade the governemt to do anything about it will be impossible if we don't take our small share of responsibility. Otherwise I'm just a hypocrite. Anyway, I can't do much about global politics but I can do something about my corner of the world. As Russell Crowe said last night in Gladiator, "What we do in this life echoes in eternity." Okay, so you'll probably think I'm being naive, but I like it that way!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

And lets face it, if we're all more self-sufficient/GYO/energy aware now; by the time things run out/get desperate/are taxed to death, we'll all be better off, as we'll have started doing all the things first!

A colleague at work was telling me how he stopped getting a local organic veg box when (during the winter months) people complained about the lack of choice, so the company started to fly things in for the veg boxes so they wouldn't lose customers!!

Comment

I think we should all do our bit.It's no good just sitting back and expecting others to do it for us!

Comment

That was my point too Lyndap but you've managed to say it in a much more concise way!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Well, I opened up a can of worms, didn't I?

I think the replies have been part of a very healthy debate.

I think that until the alleged climate change debate is taken on internationally, our efforts are not going to make much difference in the overall scheme of things.

Having said that, I agree wholeheartedly with the GYO ethos.

I do a bit more than chuck the waste into the designated council wheelie bins.

I buy all our meat from local butchers. I do not buy supermarket badly produced meat, and particularly not poultry,

What veg we do not grow ourselves, I buy from farmers' markets. If I do have to resort to supermarkets, I do not buy anything that has been imported.

My two fruit weaknesses in summer are nectarines and melons (both Italian).

Birdie Wife, well spotted - the deliberate mistake - in my book they are fiends.

Alice, I don't want to change the world, I think it is a fantastic beautiful place to live.

Getting back to politicians, don't you think they should lead by example? Two Jags Prescott, and all the ministers should downsize their cars. If they want us to take them seriously on carbon emissions, don't you think they should downsize themselves, or practice what they preach???

The latest 'government report' on climate change (I can't remember the name of the reporter), but it was compiled by an economist!!! Don't you think a scientist might have been a smidge more appropriate!!

Comment

My twopenn'orth

Humans have been on the earth for a comparitively short time when compared to the amount of time that the earth has been here. In that time the continents have moved, mountains, valleys , rivers have been formed and all these things continue to happen.

Man in general has a pretty overinflated idea of his/her importance in the grand scheme of things. Climate change has happened for millenia, and will continue to do so, yet I feel that abuse of our planet and its natural resources does not help matters.

I agree with with all of you on the points made about doing our bit like growing own veg, recycling and reusing etc. We have made a start on that, I trot round the house after himself and the kids, turning off lights etc don't have to worry about the water so much though, because with four males in the house on a regular basis, they don't flush all that much anyway the dirty buggers! I have turned that heating down and set it to a timer. If anyone complains of being cold, they get told to put a jumper on!
                We're not quite at our ideal yet but getting there. As the household budget gets on better footing, shopping habits will change accordingly. Snadger had it right, do your bit with a clear conscience and being tight is not necessarily a bad thing!

I'll get back in my box too now.
                Kirsty
                Kirsty b xx

Comment

In my life time (a grand total of 37 years and 10 months) I have noticed how the climate has changed - I do my bit, turn off the standby, turn down the thermostat, use low wattage light bulbs, use electricity from windfarms and eco-friendly cleaning products in my home; grow my own... my pets are all rescue, my 3 year old knows that you freecycle first, recycle second and bin as a last resort. And I stand resolute in the hope that my little bit, multiplied by many caring and like-minded individuals will make a difference.

There governments of the USA, China and India beyond my personal control; but at least I can sleep soundly in my bed knowing that I have respect for the environment I live in, and I have tried to make a difference! (too deep for this time in the morning - I'm off back to bed!!)
                  How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

I have little else to add. I do my bit as best I can and encourage as many as possible to do theirs. We are gradually reducing out reliance on anything shop bought although I do buy some gluten free stuff and lots of rice. I recycle as much as I can and reuse what I have room for. I freecycle unwanted bits and am always willing to put people in touch with the allotments officer () at the council. My pets are rescued too or pre-homed. I try and use public transport or walk where I can although the ankle problem restricts this somewhat at the moment.

I agree that it is probably a drop in the ocean but I believe I am only a steward for my bit of the planet and that it is my reponsibility in return for its bounty to look after it for the future.

My big weakness - good quality chocolate.
                    My petty gripe - those advertising things that move round and never get turned off. Who is reading them at 3 in the morning?

I could go on but I need to crack on.
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Sunday nights at work are very quiet so I spent a chunk of last night knocking down hard wood pallets that came from Brazil. The blocks are made from poor quality hardwood but burn as well as oak and the best slats were saved for some project the crappy ones were converted into kindling.

All in all we ended up with 6 bags of kindling and about a weeks worth of fire wood plus some nice 6" boards that cleaned up really well. Its just a shame that this timber came here in the first place but even worse was that they just get skipped generally.

Comment

Talking of recycling pallets, Mr D's dad is a builder, and when he heard we needed some new fence panels and gates he started to break down the pallets the bricks come on (they usually end up getting burnt on the building sites), then when there were enough brought them over and him and my MIL helped us make new fence panels and gates from them! Unlike bought lath type ones they are very heavy and sturdy, and we recon will last for a very long time indeed! Its just a shame he doesnt live closer, as we'd love to get as many as we could from him for the plot (and when we've no longer a need for them I'm sure there will be others down there who would appreciate some free wood!)
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Well, well, what did I state in an earlier posting??

This government couldn't give a stuff about 'global warming'.

Gordon Brown has increased taxes on petrol and doubled the flying tax from £5.00 to £10.00.

End result - more money for Gordon!!

What will this do for the planet? bugger all!!

When it comes to global warming, as a pensioner, I am more than grateful for it. It means that we do not have to have the central heating on so often, or so high!!

Comment

For what its worth, in my humble opinion Gaia will spew fumes and eject the miserable specimens that despoil her body. There is little hope for any of us, all we can do is try to survive a bit longer.
                            Sorry to be so pessimistic, but the glorious ride of rampant capitalism WILL end, and I believe, in the not too distant future.
                            It really came home to me last year when New Orleans went down, We are totally dependent on oil-based systems - water, electricity, sewage systems as well as 'next day' delivery systems to supermarkets. When the system crashes we are all screwed.
                            After that I got our allotment and found out where the nearest well was (we live near the river, so may be able to get water). Its too late I know, but I've given up using the car, grow as much as possible, brew my own wine, and generally am trying to keep my head down.
                            Watch out for Monsanto and F1 hybrids too, otherwise you won't be able to propagate your own crops.
                            Global warming may have some advantages - we could grow olive trees and get oil from our own plots, melons and peaches will be easier to grow too. I really need some bees for honey, and may research that.

Meanwhile, do what you will, but harm none other.

Apologies for the depressive expression, but it's really good to get it off my chest.

Comment

Gordon should have made air flight tax even higher!!
                              Jools
                              PS, I live near Heathrow airport!

Comment

I use planes far too often for my work, feel terribly guilty and try to use video conference when ever possible even if it annoys some of our Clients down south. Also, love to travel but am realistic enough to understand that the current state of things is totally unsustainable and that whilst me on my own making changes won't make much difference, me and a lot of other individuals will. We need to realise that it is not our right to travel the world cheaply but it is our duty to look after this wonderful planet and nobody should look down on anybody who tries.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X