200g soft brown sugar
    3 eggs, beaten
    130ml milk
    350g plain flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    4 tbsp cocoa
    450g courgettes, peeled and grated finely
    1 tsp vanilla

1. Line a 20 x 35cm baking tray with baking paper and set the oven to 190ºC/350ºF (180 ish for a fan oven)
    2. Mix the butter, oil and both sugars together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, one at a time and then the milk until mixed thoroughly.
    3. Sift the dry ingredients together and fold into the mixture. Stir in grated and peeled courgettes, vanilla and spoon into tin. Bake for 35 -45 minutes.

Chocolate Courgette Cake - Desserts - Recipes - Riverford Organic Vegetables

Any leftover mix went nicely into standard size paper fairy cake things at 180oC (fan oven) for around 15-17 mins. I also used slightly less courgette by around 50g (I ran out) and had no issues with the recipe. It seemed to take substitutions well from how it cooked - ended up using dark brown sugar and rice milk and it still rose nicely and was all spongy and moist.

And I got more courgettes in the veggie box today *bounces and looks out her muffin tin*!
    Last edited by Rabidbun; 24-07-2009, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Would the muffins freeze ok or would they be not very nice once defrosted? I love baking but there's always far too much for 1 person and I'd hate anything to go stale!
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

My first harvest of courgettes for 2009 was Wednesday 38 yellows and 3 large green. (and before you think I'm bonkers - yellows went to the farm shop, 2 greens to the chooks and one for us)
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Made a choc courgette cake today with melted chocolate instead of cocoa. Fantabulous. Fed some to our Britain in Bloom judges. Should get a gold for that!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
            Would the muffins freeze ok or would they be not very nice once defrosted? I love baking but there's always far too much for 1 person and I'd hate anything to go stale!
            I have frozen homemade muffins in the past. Wrapped in clingfilm and defrosted at room temp, and they were fine. Don't think they were in the freezer for much more than a month or so.

Or I halve or quarter the recipes to make less.

Comment

Thanks Janeyo, I've made a batch today and yes, they're gorgeous 6 have somehow jumped into my friends car and gone to Milton Keynes

Comment

Well, blow me. I have every single one of those ingredients!!! Will note down the recipe, ta.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  Only a disaster in that they were so delicious I ate half of them and now have to go out and buy more flour to make some more

Cocoa Courgette Muffins

Makes 11-12

10 oz (280g) self raising flour
                  Half teaspoon (2.5 ml) bicarbonate soda
                  Half teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
                  2 teaspoons (10 ml) ground cinnamon (optional)
                  3 Tablespoons (45 ml) unsweetened cocoa powder
                  1 egg
                  4 - 5 oz (110 - 140g) light brown soft sugar
                  2 - 3 fl oz (60 - 90 ml) milk or water
                  2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla essence (I used almond & they were fine)
                  12 oz (340 g) courgette, skinned & finely grated, & water squeezed out a bit
                  3 fl oz (90 ml) vegetable oil or 3 oz (85 g) butter, melted
                  4 oz (100 g) walnuts/sultanas/Chocolate Chips (optional)

Method
                  1. Prepare muffin tins. Preheat oven to 375 - 400 F (190 - 200 C), Gas Mark 5-6.
                  2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon and cocoa powder.
                  3. In a medium sized bowl, beat egg with a fork. Add sugar, milk/water, vanilla, courgette and oil/melted butter. Stir well.
                  4. Pour all of the wet mixture into dry. Stir just until combined, adding dried fruit during final strokes. Batter will be lumpy but no dry flour should be visible.
                  5. Spoon into tins/paper cases. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until tops spring back when pressed gently

(you can make it in a shallow tray tin - cook for about an hour?)

This recipe was taken from: 'Muffins - Fast & Fantastic' by Susan Reimer
                  ISBN 0-9528858-2-4
                  oh dear! I just made these and can't see them making it into a tin at the end of the day...even fussy daughter says they are delish...and being 10 she knows what she's talking about!!!

Many thanks....I think!

Comment

My lottie-neighbours (fussy eaters) tried these too and thought they were the bestest cakes ever! It's one way to get kids to eat veggies

Comment

Thanks TW - wonderful muffins - on our second batch. Used cadburys hot chocolate instead of cocoa - just what we had lying around.
                      Thanks
                      Clare

Comment

Originally posted by Rabidbun View Post
                        Recipe from the link at the end.

Chocolate Courgette Cake

120g butter (softened)
                        125ml sunflower oil
                        100g caster sugar
                        200g soft brown sugar
                        3 eggs, beaten
                        130ml milk
                        350g plain flour
                        2 tsp baking powder
                        4 tbsp cocoa
                        450g courgettes, peeled and grated finely
                        1 tsp vanilla

1. Line a 20 x 35cm baking tray with baking paper and set the oven to 190ºC/350ºF (180 ish for a fan oven)
                        2. Mix the butter, oil and both sugars together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, one at a time and then the milk until mixed thoroughly.
                        3. Sift the dry ingredients together and fold into the mixture. Stir in grated and peeled courgettes, vanilla and spoon into tin. Bake for 35 -45 minutes.

Chocolate Courgette Cake - Desserts - Recipes - Riverford Organic Vegetables

Any leftover mix went nicely into standard size paper fairy cake things at 180oC (fan oven) for around 15-17 mins. I also used slightly less courgette by around 50g (I ran out) and had no issues with the recipe. It seemed to take substitutions well from how it cooked - ended up using dark brown sugar and rice milk and it still rose nicely and was all spongy and moist.

And I got more courgettes in the veggie box today *bounces and looks out her muffin tin*!
                        That's the one I just made - it made 2 cakes - is delicious, a bit like a brownie wit kind of almost crunchy top and moister underneath.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X