Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How's everyone's xmas / yule preparations going?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's everyone's xmas / yule preparations going?

Hi Gang!

Just thought I'd ask the question, and see how far everyone has got with their preparations for whaetever and however they celebrate at xmas!

I had a feeling that if we share how we celebrate, and how far we are with our preparations, then it may well help other grapes to not only see how others celebrate, but also give some useful reminders for the less organised amongst us! (i.e. ME!! )

It may also give others a few good ideas or tips, and perhaps even a few good links for suppliers of various things that we may want for our celebrations!

So, what and how do you celebrate, and what have you done so far, and what have you still to do?

What are your families xmas traditions, what do you do that others may not, and what do you enjoy most about the festive season!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

What an interesting topic!! Well done Mrs D!!

I will sit down and answer properly tomorrow when hopefully the aching in my head has gone away and I can type properly (just re-typed most of this twice)

Expect everyone is more organised than me though!!!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

thats a good question mrs dobby.
      the only prep we have done is buy the children in the family small gifts. (we are poor)
      everyone else is getting what we have made, ducks (still alive till last poss moment) bay trees (3 yrs old) cider (this years) perry (this years) elderberry wine (last years) jams and chutneys and lavender bath salts.
      we will go to my mothers farm house for the actual event big open fire country for miles around! its beautifull and the being together is the important thing.
      there will be a tree and on xmas eve we will spray pine cones
      but we cant afford to decorate our house or put up lights, (we wouldnt do that anyway unless we could afford green electric!)
      but we love xmas, the whole tradition thing is great, people who lived in these isles long before christ was born had this winter celebration and its brill!
      leeps your pecker up in dark days!
      Yo an' Bob
      Walk lightly on the earth
      take only what you need
      give all you can
      and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

We are both Pagans, so dont celebrate xmas as such, but the older festival of Yule, normally celebrated on the Winter Solstice, but as we both work in Retail we celebrate on the 25th (as we are definitley both off on that day!)

Yule is a celebration of the returning of the light, some celebrate it as the birth of the masculine element of deity, some just as a celebration that from now on the days will get longer and spring will soon be with us.

Our celebrations are usually a feast, normally of goose or turkey and lots of veg (I have been known to do 11 types of veg before now!), plenty of drinking (it is traditional to 'Wassail' or toast the health with a libation (alcohol normally) of the trees and your fellow celebrants, but that is up to the individual), and a quiet period for reflection, we tend to try and make time to go for a walk and experience the land at this time of year, Alderley Edge is our preffered place to visit, and other than that a few gifts for one another and family, and spend time with loved ones and friends. Pretty much how most folks celebrate, apart from the religious side of things!

So, how about everyone else?
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

I have made 'plans' to go xmas shopping weds next week - I have the day off - yey!! Also have to pick up pressies for our son's 4th birthday, on 23rd December... Off to get the Crimbo tree tomorrow and will hunt for my Yule Log to burn over the next few days - the ashes will be put on the garden to fertilise the garden. Spent ages yesterday trying to attach the festive garlands to the mantle piece (bloody thing kept falling off!) I have written al the cards I have - and still need to buy some more... Will send OH up the loft to get the rest of the deccies down..

Food wise - I'm off to mum's (no cooking xmas dinner for me this year..hehehe!) will make some cakes, sausage rolls, and nice bits to take with me as an offering. Hopefully it will be a nice relaxing one this year - or as relaxing as it can be with 15 people in the house - and I wouldn't have it any other way!
          How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

Very good question Mrs D. So far I have organised a goose for the freezer for Christmas day. Would have liked a fresh goose , but at £40 a shot decided NO! Have a leg of lamb in the freezer - for the same reason.
            Have more or less planned what each meal will be and what food shopping I will have to to.
            As for traditions, well I think they are changing rapidley.
            When I was a girl, Christmas was a very minor celebration, only about the children and Santa. Christmas dinner was roast chicken. Well that was in the days before battery chickens and a free range chicken was expensive, as it is now. If anybody sells you one for less than £11 to £12 they are kidding you on. They can't be produced for less.
            New year was a major celebration. The new years dinner was served just after midnight on hogmanay, and was the best you could afford. Open house was kept, and there was an injunction for all family and neighbours to visit each other over the first few days of the year.
            Now I think the whole thing has been reduced to a big commercial jamboree. I don't have too much time for it.
            I limit Christmas to my own family, just a time to get together and enjoy what the season has to offer.
            I hold the spirit of New year, with open house and hospitality for all comers over hogmany and the new yaer oeriod.Sadly, I think everyone stays at home and watches TV. We get dressed in our finest, and the food is ready. We usually end up with just the family and a few neighbours. Nice like that.
            Jings - how could I forget. The whole house had to be cleaned inside out for new year. I think we were all going to die - at least - if there was a speck of dust anywhere in the house. Still do a nod and a wink to the cleaning thing - but not with any kind of fervour you understand. Looking forward to seeing what other grapes do.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Well. so far I've done nothing. Haven't had any time (I work 12 hour shifts). We had plans to visit friends in Sheffield as I had days off over Christmas but I've just found out today that our new member of staff who should start next week, won't because the recruitment department have (once again) cocked everything up. That means having to work Christmas day; wasted money (having already bought the train tickets), let down friends (and partner), major annoyance from my brother who wanted to go away at Christmas but agreed to stay put to look after my cats and go away on the 28th. One problem but so many repercussions.

Not feeling too happy this evening but the good news is my better half is taking me out for a curry NOW to make me feel better.

Cheers everyone, things could be worse!!!!

Big Fiona

Comment

just put my chrissy decorations up tonight

my daughter says the house looks cool

got most of my presents in now and looking forward to christmas day with my family

then the real work starts here the house has to get cleaned from top to bottom

major cooking big pots of soup and steak pie for the bells

happy new year luv it

open house for all u grapes lol

spring-------surprise
                summer-----sociable
                autumn-----amazing
                winter------wonderful

Comment

Hello
                  Bought most of the presents here already 'cos going out to new home in Slovenia for Xmas - hopefully we'll have a very 'White Christmas' as it usually snows like mad over there in December and lasts until March!
                  Jules

Comment

It's usually just the three of us. Tree goes up early (first weekend in December usually) kind of occupational hazard of having a young child around. Most of the christmas shopping has been done. That is because we are going to Jersey for Christmas this year. No idea what "traditions" my sister has instituted. It is "traditional" in my family that I make and at least marzipan the cake. It usually has to fly to jersey with someone so icing has to be done there.

Our christmas fare is duck(from our neighbour's butchers shop), our own pots,carrots, greens, brussels if we have them (from the farmers' market if not or the farm shop), my cake, homemade cranberry jelly/sauce and butcher's chips (neighbour again).

We usually pop in to one of the other neighbour's at some point for a small drinky.

Miss E would like snow but we have had to tell her that is extremely unlikely.

Andy and I are planning to take or get once there some candles for yule. We have little experience of planning/undertaking these things and are looking to have a small, discreet ritual for ourselves when there (we go on the 19th) as a moment of reflection and celebration of the return of the sun. Suggestions for "portable" rituals gratefully received. The rest of the family is nominally christian.

That's it really.
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Lay in bad last night (in all innocence) I asked Mr D what he fancied for the meat part of our Yule feast,

'Well, would you like some gobble gobble, quack quack or honk honk?'

Needless to say, his mug of horlics fairly exploded and he turned a bright shade of red, trying to choke and laugh at the same time!

I didnt mean anything other than to try and find out what sort of bird he fancied for the lunch, but he obviously had other things on his mind, mucky minded devil that he is!
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

As non-Christians we will be celebrating the soltice by planting some garlic! I read somewhere that it is a good day to plant, although him outside started putting bulbs in during September!

Our 20 year old son will probably be in his bedroom on the net all day, but we hope to eat together for once.

I will cook a decent meal with four or five veg, three stuffings and all the trimmings, if only to give me something to do other than watch tv. We start wassailing at about 11 am.

By the way, Mrs Dobby, I don't give mine horlicks in bed - too dangerous! Make him drink it downstairs.

regards

Comment

Ah, the power of the internet for christmas presents, especially as I've worked the past few Saturdays as well as all week. Just me & Mr H for Christmas day this year as dad is off to my brother's. Mr H makes a most excellent roast dinner, so I'm looking forward to that

I've made an Xmas cake for the first time for a few years (the last time I did it was the Christmas just before Mum died, as she wasn't up to making one ).
                          http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

Am pretty organised this year, cake, pudding and mincemeat all made and safe in the cupboard with just the cake to ice next weekend (or on Christmas Eve if other years are anything to go by!). Ordered a fresh turkey a couple of weeks ago and have most of our pressies bought although not yet wrapped. Have also bought some of the other food stuffs over the past month to spread the cost a bit, now have sausage meat, chipolatas, bacon etc in the freezer and bought some wine today for with the meal. Am hoping all this means that it'll all be a bit less hectic at the last minute and I can enjoy the break. Not decorated the house despite OH wanting to get a tree as soon as December hit, maybe next weekend.

We don't have any particular traditions apart from trying to meet up with as many of the family as possible. We're not religious but see it as a time for family and friends and to generally be with the people we love. Twee but true.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

What a good idea Mrs D! Well, in my small bits of life inbetween hibernation have managed to do most of my christmas prezzie shopping - but this is quite restricted this year due to £. Bought my turkey today and have put up the tree which looks quite lovely, despite my efforts! All 50+ cards have been written and sent across the UK. Havent done last minute menus yet.

Waht is everyone doing over christmas? We are at in-laws for christmas day tea then the rest of christmas (ie boximg day!) is up to us! Would love to take Dexy to Arnside beach for a walk, complete with tomato soup from a flask and butties!

A merry Christmas and a very happy new year to all Grapes!

Love Dexterdoglancashire
                              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X