Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Encouragement to eat more fruit and veg?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lesley Jay View Post
    Baby food in jars and packets should have the vitamins required in it. But they are damned expensive. I would show your S-I-L just how simple it is to do stewed, pureed apples or pears and mashed parsnips to begin with. Point out just how much cheaper it is. I would also buy her a tiny blender (Kenwood do one) to whizz up pureed vegetables.
    That's what I can't understand... if they are on such a tight budget, how can they afford to buy tinned baby food??

My mum never fed me or my sis any tinned baby food. She said that she just used to whizz up whatever her and my dad ate and feed that to us!

Good idea of a blender! That can be the "new baby" present

We have bought them Mothercare vouchers for Christmas, as the pregnancy was unplanned, they can't afford lots of baby stuff. I've offered to post "Wanteds" on Freecycle for them too

Comment

Bit of a confession for an allotmenteer and vegetable grower....but I only eat potatoes and peas, never eaten any other veg since I was about 5.....just stopped liking them I guess
      Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Ohhhh!!!! Geordie!! How can you not love veggies???
        [

Comment

Mr OWG only eats: potatoes, leeks, carrots and yellow peppers....

Most of the other veg is for me! He says peas and sweetcorn are the food of the devil....

Comment

Yessss.....I know....or Garlic, toms ,peppers, chillis, aubs, in fact 99.5% of anything even romotely like a vegetable, or herbs etc....but in my defence the gravy has been made with water used to boil veg.....does that count as 1 portion? And no, my reference to boiling veg is not a signal to open the floodgates on favourite ways to cook veg, boiled, steamed, roasted over candles at Christams or any other way! Thankyou! Bah Humbug!
            Geordie

Comment

Yes thanks, have now put all the toys back in my pram and am quite happy!
              Geordie

Comment

It would be a boring world if we were all the same with the same likes and dislikes Geordie! Infact if we were all the same it would be extremely boring!!!
                [

Comment

As usual LJ you present the voice of reason and harmony....I am indebted to your timely posting!
                  Geordie

Comment

Oh you smooth talker Geordie!!
                    [

Comment

Originally posted by Geordie View Post
                      Bit of a confession for an allotmenteer and vegetable grower....but I only eat potatoes and peas, never eaten any other veg since I was about 5.....just stopped liking them I guess
                      What do you do with the rest of the veg you grow or is your patch just put over to pots and peas? Do you eat fruit at all? Sorry for all the questions, just I really like most vegs (apart from sweetcorn) so find it strange when people don't.

Back to the original thread, good thing about blending what you've cooked yourself is that you know exactly how much fat, sugar etc is in it, nothing's hidden. Friend of mine had a little boy about 18 months ago, the first summer the pear tree in their garden had a bumper harvest so he was eating freebie stewed pears all winter.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        What do you do with the rest of the veg you grow or is your patch just put over to pots and peas? Do you eat fruit at all? Sorry for all the questions, just I really like most vegs (apart from sweetcorn) so find it strange when people don't.

Back to the original thread, good thing about blending what you've cooked yourself is that you know exactly how much fat, sugar etc is in it, nothing's hidden. Friend of mine had a little boy about 18 months ago, the first summer the pear tree in their garden had a bumper harvest so he was eating freebie stewed pears all winter.
                        Didn't Christen him 'Conference' did they?
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                          Hello Rusytlady, if the situation is as bad as you describe, then maybe the answer to Mrs D's question is - it should be compulsary for primary schools to teach where food comes from and what we need to eat to be healthy, and for secondary schools to teach basic cooking to all pupils.
                          In an ideal world it is parents who should do this. But if the parents don't know ...... well...... I guess it comes down to the schools and teachers have to take it on along with everything else.
                          Hi Alice, I think you may have hit upon the root of the problem there, nowadays its all IT and the like that they learn, unfortunately life skills such as cooking seem to take a second place all too often!
                          Blessings
                          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                          Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                          Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                          On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                            I was appalled to find out that my F-I-L and my pregnant S-I-L (17 yrs old) don't eat anything fresh... in fact, they class "fresh food" as something out of the chiller cabinet rather than the freezer section

snip

I understand that they are on a very tight budget and I offered to help them with their shopping for a week and show them how to make stuff that they can make and then have over a couple of days/freeze.

I think part of the problem is that people perceive that making fresh stuff means spending hours in the kitchen and loads of money in the shops. When you have a screaming child/baby, its much easier to pop something in the oven/microwave. And as Jools said, if kids get crap food at home, why would they eat "healthy" food at school? How would they know what it was?

I always remember the original series of Jamie's School Dinners, where they were asking kids what vegetables he had on a table, and so many of the kids couldn't name a leek; but knew what all the logo's were for McD's, Domino's etc

I often make huge batches of lasagne/casseroles etc and freeze them. Both myself and Mr OWG work 40hr + weeks, but still manage to shop and eat on a fairly strict budget, buying as much local produce as we can. OK, so I don't always have my 5 portions (especially in winter), but I'm not eating ping meals and frozen pizza every day.

OK, rant over!
                            Well said!! OWG you obviously have a similar take on it as I do! Cooking in bulk and freezing is not only a great way to save money, but also a much healthier way of eating than bleedin 'ping' meals! We too both work plenty of hours, but also manage to shop and eat healthily, also on a fairly strict budget! It can be done, especially if you have no other choice! I couldnt afford to eat if it was McD's and ping meals! I take butties for lunch (meat and salad, as good as any that cost £2 from Tescos) and am always amazed at some of my staff who will think nothing of spending £5 on their lunch from a fast food place! a fiver will keep us both in butties for a week!

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                            Don't worry about ranting, your point is spot on. I find it very difficult to understand why people would choose to live like that but unfortunately your in laws are not remotely unique. I personally love cooking so don't mind spending the weekend in the kitchen now and then to get the freezer filled up with nice fresh food which we can then heat up quickly when needed. Made enough chicken curry for 8 to 10 meals on Sunday at about £1 per portion and that was purely from fresh ingredients with fresh veg and organic meat. It's much tastier than the bizarely coloured stuff in the chiller cabinet and cheaper too.

Personally I try not to shop at supermarkets anyway as I don't like them but you can still buy a balanced diet there if you need to. One of the problems as I see it is that they have such a huge range of produce from all over the world that it can be hard to find the cheaper seasonal stuff hidden away in the corner which gives the illusion that everything's expensive. Doesn't help that the stuff on prominant display in bright "buy me" packaging is the prepared type ie chopped beans, ready mashed / baked potato (I ask you!) which has a higher profit margin. If you've never chopped a cabbage / carrot or peeled a spud then perhaps it's not obvious.

As far as you nephew is concerned, OWG, suppose you've just got to try and encourage him to try things when he comes to visit and make a game out of it. Oh yes, as with most things in life, cross your fingers and hope!
                            Well said!

Originally posted by Lesley Jay View Post
                            Baby food in jars and packets should have the vitamins required in it. But they are damned expensive. I would show your S-I-L just how simple it is to do stewed, pureed apples or pears and mashed parsnips to begin with. Point out just how much cheaper it is. I would also buy her a tiny blender (Kenwood do one) to whizz up pureed vegetables.
                            Most prepared foods are expensive, they offer convenience, but at a huge cost, not only in monetary terms, but also in food miles, taste and goodness, bring back home made I say!

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                            That's what I can't understand... if they are on such a tight budget, how can they afford to buy tinned baby food??

My mum never fed me or my sis any tinned baby food. She said that she just used to whizz up whatever her and my dad ate and feed that to us!

Good idea of a blender! That can be the "new baby" present

We have bought them Mothercare vouchers for Christmas, as the pregnancy was unplanned, they can't afford lots of baby stuff. I've offered to post "Wanteds" on Freecycle for them too
                            Nice one OWG, your obviously going to be a bigger help for them than they realise, jusat hope they appreciate it!
                            Blessings
                            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                              Didn't Christen him 'Conference' did they?
                              Oh, what a missed chance, althogh actually they've not had him "done" so perhaps I should suggest!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X