No announcement yet.

PLease remind me why we keep animals

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol two sheds. They chase off the million other cats from my raised beds. Loads less poo since we got them. And we haven't had a mouse move in either, they usually turn up claiming squatters rights twice a year
    Plus, my boy has had a tidier room since they arrived than ever before ( being a responsible pet owner you see, he can't leave things lying around that might be bad for them). And he is also loads calmer and happier, so all in all I reckon they're an asset.

Comment

I grew up with pets - cats, dogs, hamsters, tropical fish and a terrapin. My four children have grown up with pets, but I'm not sure what went wrong with #1 son. He's not fond of animals and used to avoid even touching any of our cats. Lately, though, we've caught him playing with and even cuddling our kittens. After 23 years of studiously ignoring any animal, he's finally been won over! He's quite fascinated by our chickens and has a healthy respect for the DD's birds of prey.

I think we've possibly gone a tad over board with pets at present, but I can't deny that 15 cats, 6 chooks, 5 rats, 2 hamsters, 3 birds of prey and a pondful of goldfish and assorted wildlife make life very interesting - never a dull moment. My cats are my constant companions and are always there in times of stress, the chickens have brought me unconfined joy (don't care if that sounds sad) and it's just so life enhancing to get up close & personal and DD's birds.

Jules
      Last edited by julesapple; 02-08-2009, 08:52 AM.
      Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

I love animals, but the problem is the pain they bring when they leave us
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I have two dogs and always had a dog when I was younger, they are a constant source of amusement, and work out more enjoyable and cheaper than a gym membership. They are there always pleased to see you, and always ready to offer unconditional love.
          They get me out and about, without them I would never have met half of the people that I know in the local area, and I would not have met the wonderful lady who is now a fantastic friend!
          I know it is painful when they leave us over the rainbow but you have to concentrate on all the good times that you have together. If we focus on the negative then we would never do anything!
          Sprocket and Boots are the best thing that I ever did - also feel good as they were from the Rescue Centre!
          Karen

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
          Even a journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step!

Comment

I'm not a "dog person". Sorry to all the dog lovers out there, but I've got a bit of a phobia about them, so while I'm more than happy for other people to have them, please don't let them invade my space (and don't let me see their big teeth or dribbly mouths when I look at them!). I realise that other people feel the same way about cats, and as someone else has already said, each to their own My cat owns me, I feed her and put water out for her, she comes and goes as she pleases (through 2 cat flaps), keeps other cats off my garden, (she probably has "been" in other peoples gardens but mostly uses the railway embankment at the back), the chooks think she's just another chook that looks a bit different! People are either "Pet People" or "Non Pet People" and that's great.
            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Our minagerie is now
              2 cats - coco and bailey
              1 bearded dragon - freddie
              1 gecko - gerry
              6 6week old pekin chicks
              2 2day old pekin chciks
              1 tropical fish tank
              1 fancy goldfish tank
              1 hybrid - rusty
              1 koi pond
              1 wildlife pond
              just got 2 baby guinea pigs saturday jester and charcoal......................

oh blimy I forgot 2 6week old aylesbury ducks that grow by the minute.

My god thats frightening
              Last edited by NSB; 02-08-2009, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Why do I keep animals?

It's cheaper than therapy. Believe me, if I didn't have mine, I'd be well and truly over-using my NHS quota on counselling and drugs! Pets aren't used in therapy just to look pretty. They're also fabulous entertainment and we could all do with laughing more!

I do find it annoying when people describe them as child subsitutes. My cat is great at being a cat. He's never going to be great at being a baby. He is a great companion, though and we moan at each other about our days.

Oh, and cat poo IS compostable. I queried this with the council compost expert and he says that as long as you don't get the balance wrong, you're ok. So, if you have 15 cats, possibly not a good idea, but one cat (like me) is ok. Mine (well, er, the cat's) gets buried in the muckheap at my field, then used with the rest of the poo when it's had time to degrade, mixed in with my home compost or spread around like normal manure.

Not sure why I keep horses though, now they're probably more stress-inducing than relieving...

Comment

Yeh I dont understand the child substitute look you get when you say no i dont have kids I have animals!!!

Comment

i just like my dogs,miller and kyloe one alsation and one working lakeland. i would not be without them but i am not keen on other peoples animals for some strange reason!!!

Comment

i was never allowed pets when I was growing up as my dad and sister both had asthma.
                      As soon as I got my own place I got a dog, Brandy - alsation x collie. Then a couple of years later we were given another dog, Albert - staffy x something. Ex took them when we split as I couldn't look after them due to 2 young children and no garden. Not long after I got a kitten - Folly, from my sister who's cat had kittens. A year later got dog, Penny from RSPCA - see my photo - Jack Russell x something. Then came guinea pig, Cairo. Along the way have also had hamsters x several, gold fish x several - last of which sadly passed away last week aged about 12years. Not having any more now. Kids are almost grown now and I would like to have holidays without sorting out boarding for mixed pets. Still have Penny, Folly and Cairo. Once they go to the garden in the sky, that's it.
                      ...... Oh but puppies are so cute....... no that's definitely it, no more. ..... I think!

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Originally posted by nomad View Post
                        i just like my dogs ... i would not be without them but i am not keen on other peoples animals for some strange reason!!!
                        My Mum was always the same with other folks' kids!
                        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

My soft side answers are
                          1 they comfort you when you need it
                          2 as long as they are fed they never judge
                          3 stroking a pet calms your heartbeat
                          4 they take secrets you tell them to the grave
                          5 they can be your protector

my hardened farmers son answers are
                          beef
                          lamb
                          pork
                          bacon
                          milk
                          sausages
                          Thought For The Day
                          If a plum tomato breaks the law when it’s young
                          Would it’s criminal past ketchup with it later?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X