Clear All

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
    nope - can't stand the bits up my nose, but used to do lots of it
    Has anyone ever told you you are barmy
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
      Now while I appreciate where you girls are coming from, I don't quite get fabric. I have a huge wool stash though - anyone with me on that?

Only for knitting baby clothes, but I like to adapt patterns to my own design. I've knitted pictures using cross stitch charts onto baby jumpers, and cross-stitching onto sweaters with waste canvas used to be a hobby years ago. Then I decided it was naff...don't know why. It doesn't matter what I try I go back to sewing. Even when I made cards they were sewn.

Jules
      Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Has anyone ever told you you are barmy
        often - frequently - always - every day
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
          Only for knitting baby clothes, but I like to adapt patterns to my own design. I've knitted pictures using cross stitch charts onto baby jumpers, and cross-stitching onto sweaters with waste canvas used to be a hobby years ago. Then I decided it was naff...don't know why. It doesn't matter what I try I go back to sewing. Even when I made cards they were sewn.

Jules
          It works the other way too. I can make stuff if I need to - curtains etc. but I always end up back with the needles or crochet hook. Possibly due to Madmax having a fit if the sewing machine is out for more than five minutes! How am I supposed to ever start up my car upholstery business?
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

The Workroom....

It works the other way too. I can make stuff if I need to - curtains etc. but I always end up back with the needles or crochet hook. Possibly due to Madmax having a fit if the sewing machine is out for more than five minutes! How am I supposed to ever start up my car upholstery business?
            I acquired my workroom after #1 son went off to be a boffin at York Uni. His sister, the DD, nagged from the minute he left for Week Zero, to move into his room. I witheld for 3 years...then decided that I couldn't sew in a room the size of a loo cubicle and let her pinch his eyrie in the attic. I then pinched her very large bedroom (hence the horsey border...an expensive waste as she moved upwards three months later) and those pictures were taken when you could still see the tables.

Now though, after four years of hard study and gaining a MA in Chemistry, #1 son is camping on the sofa bed in the workroom and I can't move or sew for him or his stuff. Sadly, there is no job, or sign of him leaving home anytime soon, on the horizon, so the steeplechase over his boxes and my piles of fabric is set to continue. At least it keeps me fit.

Shirl, if you want to start a car re-upholstery business you are going to need space!

Jules
            Jules

Comment

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
              Shirl, if you want to start a car re-upholstery business you are going to need space!

Jules
              You are not wrong - those dead cows take up a fair bit of space
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

You are not wrong - those dead cows take up a fair bit of space
                LMAO You don't realise how big they are 'til you spread them out!

Jules
                Jules

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  Are you meant to make things?
                  I just stack my fabric up in drawers
                  I did that for 40 years - and ended up giving it all away, mostly to Oxfam!
                  Still, I enjoyed looking at it!!

Comment

I'll admit to liking knitting best!

Can't do much as it sets my hands off and I loose the power to grip anything so I resort to cross stitch which doesn't seem to hurt even though the work is finer.

Tried all sorts of things, took a course in curtain making and one in sugarcraft. Tried quilting - which is interesting but too space consuming (or I have too much cross stitch and wool - take your choice!) and I have done pyrography for years.
                    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Wow, Jules, I am suitably impressed with your efforts!! How I would LOVE to have time to do all that. I actually picked up a WI brochure at Cranleigh Show last weekend. I'm determined to go along and do some crafty stuff!!

Comment

Sluglobber - where in Surrey are you? And how 'crafty' do you want to be? TOH is secretary to the East Surrey Woodturners and they run hands on evenings where you can try woodturning if that is of interest
                        The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

I'm near Dorking, TPeers! Haven't really considered woodturning, to be honest! Could you PM me with more details and I'll have a think about it? Ta.

Comment

I've never been very crafty (apart from the odd bit of knitting) but I just wanted to say Jules what lovely things you make. I'm very impressed and it has given me the inspiration to try my hand at quilting.

Comment

Originally posted by palborn View Post
                              I've never been very crafty (apart from the odd bit of knitting) but I just wanted to say Jules what lovely things you make. I'm very impressed and it has given me the inspiration to try my hand at quilting.
                              Palborn, you should be able to get some lovely fabrics over there. The French have impeccable taste in fabrics. I've never actually made a patchwork quilt although I own quite a few.

I have a friend in Georgia, USA, who went to a local auction and bought, for $40, a huge lot of quilt tops about (134 queensize I think) She and her MominLaw washed and mended them and are currently making them into finished quilts. I wish I could visit her auction!

Jules
                              Jules

Comment

Wow, what a bargain. I'm at the very early stage, still need to find a decent book to guide me first!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X