Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is it that makes it feel like xmas / yule in your house?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm yes the travelling bit can be quite a pain especially when you're all over the country. This year we're having people round ours, lots of work but at least I can sleep in my own bed and don't have to worry about driving anywhere. Personally I don't think it matters what people do so long as they're not left feeling lonely and unhappy.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Well me and the OH are being totally selfish and staying in and spending precious time togehter, which we don't often do and getting rid of the old gas fire, knocking back to the original fireplace and installing a lovely cast iron surround and wood mantle so we can have some romantic night in fornt of a real fire toasting marshmallows.

We've done the travelling about visiting relative all over for the past few years and think we need a break from it all.

If the DIY mood takes over, we might end up ripping up the hall and stair carpet as well as ripping horrible wood panelling off the walls in the hallway and stripping wallpaper. We've lived with it for too long!

Comment

Christmas starts for us when we get together as a family ( children, grandchildren and my 88year old mother) and go to the first mass of Christmas which is at 6.30 on Christmas eve. Its a family mass where the children act out the nativiety and sing carols during the mass. I used to bring my own children when they were little and now they in turn bring theirs. The whole church is lit just by candlesand there is such an air of excitement from all the little ones attending.
        After the church we all go back to my daughters house for one drink and a ham sandwich and then home to listen to carols in the firelight.
        We have done this since we were married and it really sets the tone for the festivities.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I LOVE watching Carols from Kings on Christmas Eve! We are going to my in-laws (brill!) but I will be insisting that this is on TV and I will be singing along at the top of my voice! Dexter the dog will be howling as well! (and he's better than me at singing, or is it howling!) LOL Dexterdog
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I have to admit to not feeling terribly Christmassy either.
            However, things which help me along the way are:
            preparing food (mince pies, cakes, shortbread etc.) with Christmas smells permeating the house;
            playing Christmas music whilst preparing food;
            decorating the house - whenever the lights on it makes me feel all warm inside;
            wrapping presents - something I take great pride in;
            watching my Christmas films whilst wrapping presents and/or writing Christmas cards (see other thread);
            usually all the Christmas activity in school, but since I haven't been employed in any one place this term, I've missed it this year, but I love the plays, the parties, the Christmas crafts and the school Christmas dinner.

Comment

OOh! Also the carol service (which we attended last night) and when the carol singers call, which brings me to a question: we had our first ever carol singers last year and I think I almost shut the door on them to tell OH and get some money. What is expected of a householder when carol singers call? Do you listen to one carol, then hand over some money? Do you offer them mince pies? It was so unexpected last year, that I'm not sure I acted in the proper manner and want to be prepared this year!

Comment

I was sent this link, it may make you feel Christmassy, gave me goosebumps and I'm definitely not religious.....

http://ecard.ashland.edu/2004admission/index.html

Enjoy the festive season however you celebrate and whatever it means to you.
                Bright Blessings
                Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Fab card EB, very well done and some nice music and graphics, thanks for sharing it! I particularly liked the Raven flying across, the Raven holds special meaning for me!
                  Blessings
                  Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                  Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                  Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                  On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X