Christmas Trees, Artificial or Real.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
    In my opinion the best ones appear suddenly, as if by magic, on Christmas morning. That is, if you have children to amaze.
    I'm definitely with you on this Brengirl. For years when my children were small I worked in pubs to boost the family income. ALWAYS involved working Christmas Eve, but without fail I used to get home (round 1 in the morning) put up the Tree and the decorations and put the pressies round. The kids woke up (usually just after I'd gone to bed) and were absolutely enthralled. Dodgiest one was when we'd stayed for a few drinks after work. Got the tree and decs up - remember listening to Elton John on the radio - and then realised I had 2 bikes to get in the front room and put pedals and handlebars on!!!!!!!!!!!! Left notes to say please don't ride till Mum's checked them in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
      I would love a real tree, but my little one told me its wrong to kill a tree just to make the house look pretty....she's a true eco warrior !
      Get a pot-grown one?? Keep in pot (well watered) and plant in the garden for next year?

Comment

Real one - I love them. I love choosing one, the gorgeous smell in the house, everything. When I was a tiny yet eccentric child, I used to keep a single pine needle from every Christmas tree we had in a small box, just because I loved them!

I've stopped that bit. Honest. But I do like a nice tree.
        I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I'm with Nothepaul's little one. Trees are too special to be treated as a disposable ornament. A live tree outside, growing, yes (but where we spend Christmas, it's an olive tree. Don't think we'll have lights this year, someone stole most of the solar panels so not enough electricity to spare) but for inside, the most 'real looking' artificial one is my preference. (but the option of a live one outside wasn't on the poll).
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

i always had a real one, with roots when rob was little, the fairies came xmas eve night and decorated it and put all the decorations up so when he got up in the morning it was all magical and glittery..... then after xmas, we found somewhere nice ... and planted it outside, some of them died, but a few should be huge now lol

then we moved on to an artificial one 5 years ago when we moved in here, and last year he couldn't be bothered to get it out the loft .... which is the same place it's staying this year anyone want an aftificial tree? .....cos ozzy will definitely drag it round the house and garden ..... bah humbug
            Last edited by lynda66; 28-11-2009, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Please consider the environmental impact that goes into the manufacture of an artificial tree - then read the following and see if you still think artificial is the greener option -
              "Christmas trees impart huge environmental benefits. They provide an excellent habitat for many bird species - the cycle of growing and harvesting the trees (normally about 8 years) is particularly conducive to bird life. Christmas trees help to reduce pollution. Each tree converts about 27lbs of Carbon Dioxide into carbon and oxygen every year, and when multiplied by the approximate number growing in Europe (somewhere in excess of 400 million), this means that nearly 5 million tonnes of Carbon Dioxide are removed from the atmosphere per annum"
              Rat

British by birth
              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I like the ones that have needles that are blueygreen,and I adore the pine smell too, we always put one up Xmas eve because that's really when Xmas starts in our house.
                Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Mine is artificial and about 18 inches tall. The cats take it down within minutes and at least three times a day every day until it gets put away on 12th night.
                  The cats' valet.

Comment

Got to be real and I get it as early as TOH will allow!

Mum never brought the tree in until Xmas eve - how did she find the time! With everything else that goes on I could never do that.

I have had trees pulled over by pets - I now routinely tie the tree back to a wall hook or guy rope two ways to a radiator (the rad is off!)

I really love decorating the tree - unfortunately so do my kids, so we have to take it in turns. It is their year this year, so only the non breakable decorations will be out.
                    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
                      Please consider the environmental impact that goes into the manufacture of an artificial tree - then read the following and see if you still think artificial is the greener option -
                      "Christmas trees impart huge environmental benefits. They provide an excellent habitat for many bird species - the cycle of growing and harvesting the trees (normally about 8 years) is particularly conducive to bird life. Christmas trees help to reduce pollution. Each tree converts about 27lbs of Carbon Dioxide into carbon and oxygen every year, and when multiplied by the approximate number growing in Europe (somewhere in excess of 400 million), this means that nearly 5 million tonnes of Carbon Dioxide are removed from the atmosphere per annum"
                      1) it's not about 'environmental impact', it is about respect for trees as a life-form. Killing one simply to decorate the house for a few days just feels WRONG to me.
                      2) My little fibre-optic tree is likely to last a very long time.
                      3) When practicable I decorate a LIVING tree, either outside or 'pot grown', as well (these days it's an olive tree)
                      4) I haven't seen Christmas trees on sale in Spain anyway.
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I always had "real" trees when I was growing up, and have had a couple as a grown up. I then went on to artificial as it was cleaner and less hassle. We're going for a living tree this year which will be planted in the garden when the season is over. We've got pines which are about 80ft tall out there anyway, so to add the next generation will be lovely...

Comment

This year I have both. I just put up my fake tree with my boys tonight. I also have a little fibre optic tree that I will probably put in the dining room. I also have a small, potted blue spruce that I have in the greenhouse at the moment, but it will go in my porch when I get the table it will stand on down out of the loft. I will then go and plant it somewhere or pot it on in a much bigger pot and lovingly tend to it until next year!
                          http://want2livethegoodlife.wordpress.com/

Comment

We always get a real tree from a local place that grows them as a cash crop, we always recycle every bit of it- needles around acid loving plants - trunk cut up as edging. i don't fancy the artificial ones, I worry about the plastics and energy involved in making them. also, our new house is chilly so a real tree will surely last longer this year!

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                              Get a pot-grown one?? Keep in pot (well watered) and plant in the garden for next year?
                              Bought a pot grown tree 3 years ago. Each spring I repotted into the next size pot. Thought this would be the last year i could use it as it`s getting quite tall but have just built a pavilion style conservatory so will probably get another year before I need to plant it into the garden permanently. I don`t bring it in until a week before Christmas though.

Comment

I've put my tree up and hung 2 pine air fresheners at the back out of sight, it smells lovely..not as nice as a real tree but nice all the same.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X