I may have to cancel Christmas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    Do you eat them as a snack or in something?
    Snowdrop likes to eat them with (home cooked) fish and chips
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

they sound foul ... think i'll pass .... thats like when they ruin whips by putting a walnut on the top

Comment

Pickled walnuts are a must-have item in pheasant terrine!
        The Idiot Gardener
        Five acres of idiocy: an idiot's journey to the heart of smallholding darkness!

Comment

I've got a brace of pheasants in the freezer so I'll get some Pickled walnuts and look for pheasant terrine recipe.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

My dad used to love pickled walnuts & used to get a jar every Christmas, I thought they looked horrible but years later when I tried them I found I quite liked them, nice with cheese & crackers. Haven't had any for years though but am tempted to look for some now!
            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
              I've got a brace of pheasants in the freezer so I'll get some Pickled walnuts and look for pheasant terrine recipe.
              It's not my recipe, but the way I do it is thus:

Cut up your pheasant meat (use it all, dark and white) plus anything else (I add pigeon or partridge, whatever I have most of) into small chunks and marinate overnight in red vermouth (I've done it with calvados too, which gives it a great kick and goes well with apple compote). Line a buttered terrine tin with streaky bacon, then add half the meat, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go.. Thickly slice the pickled walnuts and add a layer, then add the rest of the meat with seasoning as before. Press it down to remove air, and then fold over the bacon.

Stick the terrine in an oven dish with some hot water, and bake at 180°C for about 45 minutes. Let it cool, slice, and then eat it all in one go with a bunch of rocket, watercress and parmesan shavings, or whatever you want.
              The Idiot Gardener
              Five acres of idiocy: an idiot's journey to the heart of smallholding darkness!

Comment

You pickle them early in the year when they are green, leaving on the green outer husk. The inner shell isn't hardened at that point. I tried them once at a party, quite liked them, then I bought a jar for home and didn't like them at all. The wine at that do must have been good!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks for the recipe Pete, I've saved it so will try it when we next have pheasant.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I made pickled walnuts once. Not difficult, but messy; you get masses of black stuff in the brine. Method is much like any other 'pickled veg', brine first, then vinegar. I think they take a week in the brine.
                    You test for shell with a darning needle. If that won't go through, the walnut is too old to pickle.
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I have had a Saviour.

A neighbour heard of my plight (Mrs SS did not want Christmas cancelled) and she has bought me a bottle of the devine things.

I'm sure in one of the scriptures that did not make the Bible said that there were 4 kings from the East and they brought Gold, Frankensence, Myrhe(??) & Pickled Walnuts.

Wify and girl child are now quite relieved.

Thank you for all your help though.
                      I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacey Steve View Post
                        I have had a Saviour.

A neighbour heard of my plight (Mrs SS did not want Christmas cancelled) and she has bought me a bottle of the devine things.

I'm sure in one of the scriptures that did not make the Bible said that there were 4 kings from the East and they brought Gold, Frankensence, Myrhe(??) & Pickled Walnuts.

Wify and girl child are now quite relieved.

Thank you for all your help though.
                        No- it was Turkish Delight the 4th one brought. I read that in an actual book!
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X