out of work

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• out of work

ok so after nine years of working for the same people they are shutting the buisiness down next week so i am out of work......my question is what can i do i have a massive piece of land which i already grow organic veg on and sell to a few ex pats but what else can i do with it ,
    all ideas welcome as i would really not like to go back to working 12 hour shifts
    cheers tracy

I don't know what to suggest you do, but I'm sorry to hear about your job lose and good luck with the job hunting.

Comment

Depending on just how big massive means how about chickens and pigs, fast growing trees for fuel and extending the veg patch
      Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Is it big enough for a camp site or similar?
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

chickens - for eggs and meat; turkeys; pigs; sheep - rent some out as allotments; pick your own soft fruits; vineyard (would take a few years till you made some cash of course); rent it to folks with horses; take hay off it; rent it to a local farmer.......

Comment

Hi Tracy I see you are in Spain - how do the locals make their living on the land? Is there a niche in the market you could find?
            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I'd go along the camp site route too, maybe T pees or somthing else thats different & dont forget to do your website to advertise in the UK.

Comment

my plot is just short of 3 acres (14,896 sq metres) i dont think its quite big enough for a camp site but i like the idea of chickens and i had already thought of extending veg plot my shed arrives this week so i will be able to do more then ...how intensive are chicks to look after...

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                  Is it big enough for a camp site or similar?
                  That would bring in some cash at least. Personally, I'd prefer to camp somewhere really small and private, rather than a big organised site.

If you want to go the smallholding route, you could have some Woofers to help you.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Chicks are quite easy, just need food water and cleaning out. I suspect foxes might not be a problem over there? Obviously there are layers and eaters so you might need a few more than you first think as they don't always cross over.

Is your place big enough for even 1 or 2 rooms to rent out? An English B & B in the Canaries might make some dosh.

Other than that all it remians for me to say is - GOOD LUCK and ENJOY whatever you do.

The cats' valet.

Comment

Hi Tracy, sorry about the job, I know exactly how that feels!
                      How about keeping pigs on the land?

Comment

Originally posted by tracy View Post
                        my plot is just short of 3 acres (14,896 sq metres) i dont think its quite big enough for a camp site but i like the idea of chickens and i had already thought of extending veg plot my shed arrives this week so i will be able to do more then ...how intensive are chicks to look after...
                        Depends on the number you plan to keep. I imagine 1 000 plus would be intense! However, a few for you and the family with some surplus to sell perhaps? Some dual purpose girls which will give you meat and eggs? They're a pleasure to look after, just 1 warning : They're addictive!!!!
                        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Camping for us - samll holdings all the time. Well the time we did But still, it will be in the future, not everyone is after large scale sites.. If you have livestock, offer 2-3 camp sites, with tours of the land an animals / "how to grow" sessions / etc ?

Good luck anyhow!

Comment

Have you a good kitchen and someone who can demonstrate authentic Spanish and local dishes to campers/boarders as well as demonstrating how to grow and tend your own veg, and look after chickens, ducks and pigs, maybe goats too.

Spanish lessons.
                            English lessons to Local businesses.
                            English/Spanish translations for local businesses.
                            Craft workshops?

I hope you find something to help you make a comfortable living without having to work for someone else.
                            If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

thanks for all the advice i think i have found a niche in the market. was sat chatting to a friend about the garden ect the started taling about the tourist market and the local market and how they were doing alright and then the two conversations mingled together and what do you know but my brain sprung into action.....there are loads of ex pats here and nowhere at all to buy plug plants wether its veg or bedding plants,you cant buy cress here (i am already selling trays for 1.50) so i am going to try the markets a stall costs 20 euros a day and i think i can sell the veg plugs for at least 50 cents if not 1 euro each,i will also sell any fresh veg that i happen to have at the time ,also bags of fresh organic herbs again at least 50 cents a bag,potted herbs will be about 3 euros,potted baby cactus (free from my garden) 2 to 5 euros depending on size ,going to grow swede and turnip again you cant buy them fresh here,checking out resturant menus to see what i can supply ie herbs rocket is very expensive here but in my garden it grows like a weed,i am going to cost out chickens ie feed ect so might have fresh free range eggs too
                              well i think thats a good start if anyone can add to this would be very grateful

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X