No announcement yet.

what breed of dog do you have?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a boy we had a rough haired Jack Russell Terrier, very affectionate, gentle and well behaved. JRTs have a reputation for being snappy and bad tempered, but I think that depends on how you bring them up

Didn't have a dog for a long time, but about 12 months ago we got a German Wire Haired Pointer, male puppy. There's no nastiness in him, but rather the word 'boisterous' was made for him. Now he's fully grown, but needs lots of exercise, and seems to be permanently hungry. We've become very fond of him

Comment

If you work all day, best bet is a 4+ year old rescue. A walk in the morning, a walk at lunch (or a dog walker), then a walk when you get back home. It's not fair to get a puppy, then be out of the house for eight hours of the day. A four year old dog still has buckets of life and love left in them.. but is happy to spend four hours at a time snoozing quietly on the couch.

I work part time (and my husband full time).. we went for a two year old rescue. On the day's I'm working he gets a 30 min run with the husband in the morning, then spends six hours at dog day care in the afternoon/evening. Lots of socializing and exercise for him. On day's off we usually have a two or three hour walk around lunch in the winter.. or two two hour walks morning/afternoon in the summer. It's a great weight loss program.. I've lost a stone in the six months since we got him (and sitting here tucking into a chocolate bar at the moment)!

Local dog rescues will usually let you take the dog home for a trial weekend (don't know about RSPCA though) once you've visited the same dog a couple of times. Lets you get to know the dog under a number of situations before committing. Dogs in the kennel are quite different from dogs in the house.

Attached is a picture of our lovely long dog.
      Attached Files

Comment

Used to have a couple of Staffs, but sadly the last of the two passed away 2 years ago, and have not wanted to get anymore.
        I always have a soft spot for Staffs, they are so friendly and good with kids.

Comment

Originally posted by pdblake View Post
          Ours is a rescue pup too, German Shepherd crossed with muppet I think
          My Baby came from Battersea branshatch, Collycross, best dog I have ever been lucky enough to home. Muppet by name Muppet by nature.. Great Dog, sorley missed

Binley really does Know best!
          G4-Meteorological mastermind! Stone/String it's all covered!
          Jeanied- Makes your day complete!!
          PB- Masteress of Pumpkins!

I Don't Know who Dave is...But he's one cool Dude!
          I Once was a Tuber but with a little practice!!

Comment

Flying German Shorthaired Pointer.
            Attached Files
            Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
            Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
            I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by peter View Post
              flying german shorthaired pointer.
              faaaaaabbbbb!!!!:d
              When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Hi all,

nearly got a GSP myself Peter but eventually settled on a Hungarian Vizsla, completely bonkers like GSPs but adorable, loyal, intellegent and a great family pet.

6 months old and she loves helping me in the garden and then running the mud all over the cream rugs Worth every bit of mud though

Regards,

Graham

ps Vizslas fly too !!!
                Attached Files

Comment

We've got 2 mental Boxers....

Max (left) is 4 this month, and Murphy (right) is 3 in June
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by OverWyreGrower; 01-02-2010, 10:18 AM. Reason: photo size

Comment

Stunning dogs - all of them!

Comment

I adore Vislas they would certainly be my ultimate dog.

Comment

I'm not allowed a dog, OH doesn't like them, but I've always wanted either a Boxer, or a Gordon Setter - just beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                          I'm not allowed a dog, OH doesn't like them, but I've always wanted either a Boxer, or a Gordon Setter - just beautiful!
                          You could borrow Murphy for a day! He is the ultimate couch potato dog - happy to snooze on the sofa all day - how could you not like that!

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                            You could borrow Murphy for a day! He is the ultimate couch potato dog - happy to snooze on the sofa all day - how could you not like that!
                            I'm very envious OWG, they are both so handsome, but he just won't budge

Comment

My Gemma is probably GSD cross greyhound. Like most GSD croses she is intelligent. Remember that the more brain a dog has the more vital it is to keep that brain busy with what YOU want happening, or they will find their own amusement, and it is usually something you don't want them to do!
                              If you are short of dog-managing time, I would go for something not-too-bright, not too active, and some small dogs are a LOT more active than some of the big ones!
                              In theory you can find out about the temperament of a rescue dog by visiting the kennels. OH's dog Lady (misnamed, she's a proper little madam!) was the quiet one in the rescue centre. She's not been quiet since (9 years) except when she's asleep! (slight exaggeration, but she DOES like the sound of her own voice, at half an excuse)
                              Lady is obviously part border collie, and definitely part terrier (maybe Bedlington).
                              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

NSB, they really are lovely dogs, I am biased I know but they're so cute even when they dig up your pot plants !!! Long walks required though, but they leap through the trees and undergrowth like a deer, soo funny. They keep you on your toes though !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X