Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This season, I will be mostly growing...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    Do you mean your beans HW? If they're runners then it's not easy as theoretically you need them about 3 miles apart and they're insect pollinated but if you're talking about Frenchies then you can grow them close together without any probs
    I'm only growing one or two types of runners. I've got three types of peas though -all of them Heritage varieties, so I really want to avoid cross-pollenation if I can help it.

French, and dwarf beans I've about 2-3 types too, so glad to hear they'll be one less headache.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
      Peas - 10 types. And beans - another 10 types. And onions 3 types from sets and 2 from seed. Oh yeah and potatoes - 12 types.

12 types of spuds??!!!!!
      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
        12 types of spuds??!!!!!
        Errr.. yeah

5 varieties of maincrop, 5 varieties of First Early, and 2 of Second Early... We like spuds

HW, I think our peas will be fine too - they're self-fertile, and have quite 'tight' flowers so don't cross that much. Most of mine that I'm saving seed from are on the same mahoosive frame, so I hope they don't cross wildly...

Comment

Probably over doing the tomatoes a tad For next year I've decided to concentrate on cold tolerant short season toms - already started Googling One raised bed of Potato Onions (plus loads of cyboes/salad onions) and I trying Rakkyo for the first time. So loads of onions. No peas this year (can't find my Hatif D'Annonay) but I'm growing 6 types of beans.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
            I'm only growing one or two types of runners. I've got three types of peas though -all of them Heritage varieties, so I really want to avoid cross-pollenation if I can help it.

French, and dwarf beans I've about 2-3 types too, so glad to hear they'll be one less headache.
            Peas are acutally quite difficult to cross as the flowers tend to fertilise before they open (very prim and proper are peas!) which is why they were used in quite a lot of genetic studies but that's a whole different story

Originally posted by FROSTYFRECKLE View Post
            Probably over doing the tomatoes a tad For next year I've decided to concentrate on cold tolerant short season toms - already started Googling One raised bed of Potato Onions (plus loads of cyboes/salad onions) and I trying Rakkyo for the first time. So loads of onions. No peas this year (can't find my Hatif D'Annonay) but I'm growing 6 types of beans.
            I'm trying some storage toms this year from Real Seeds so hopefully I'll be able to eat frest toms on Christmas day (that's the plan anyway)

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Tomatoes, 21 types, 200 plants...think I may have gone a bit too far.....

Comment

Potatoes,potatoes,potatoes.I developed a kind of strange "potatoemania"-all spuds I find sprouting(basket in the kitchen)I put them into the ground-I haven't got any space left,not to mention the original seed tatties are still awaiting planting,while the shop ones(eating ones)found their way into the ground.

Beans come second-just 3 varieties-but OH doesn't eat them so there will be more left for me
                Last edited by coreopsis; 10-05-2010, 08:51 PM.

Comment

My greenhouse is full of different chilli's, asorted sweet peppers and several types of tomatoes. I'm trying some peas for the first time this year tho, not too many as there is only me to feed and I don't want a freezer full of peas, I have french beans and runners and spuds. The list goes on lol happy growing everyone! :-) oh yes and my baby pear tree I planted in, September, can't remember now if was last year or year b4, tut, tut, my brain is going! lol well anyway baby pear has flowered! Ah bless its only about 4ft small lol. I thought I had lost it at one point this year, I got caught out did not get to fleece it during all that bad white stuff that fell from the sky earlier this year, oops! Still alls well that ends well!
                  Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

Onions, I planted about 300 in the autumn lost some to frost so planted another 300 in the spring, not all the same though. On plot one.
                    Potatoes about 5 varieties, both plots strawberries 70 ish on plot one no idea what variety, 36 cambridge favourite on plot two. Raspberries loads on both plots. Tomatoe's not as many as last year ( lost count but 30ish various ) as for the last two years I have lost them all to blight at home in the garden.
                    I am finding I am not doing very well with my seeds this year, seeds come up but then I get in a muddle about when to pot on and loose them.
                    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                    and ends with backache

Comment

Bits and pieces! We have spuds in the tyre wall, onions and garlic in growbags, sugarpod peas and asparagus peas in the one and only flowerbed, carrots and leaks in the big tub/flowerpots, pak choi, fennel and lettuce in the long narrow troughs, yellow courgettes in the mini raised bed, chillies everywhere they will fit in, and there will be runner beans in the other 2 big flowerpots when I plant them put (weekend probably).
                      Also got herbs in the strawberry planters....
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X