No announcement yet.

fashion tips for beginners????

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

me too, i have horsey gear, gardening gear, painting and stripping furniture gear, and buying gear ( no point looking rich if you are looking for a bargain) so i tend to dress like wurzel gummidge, so clothes dont get ruined.

what i did do previously, and have started to do again, is wear pretty and feminine tops, which i make. i dont buy from catalogues, but have an assortment of sewing patterns which i make flattering and comfortable tops from, using fabric remnants, old clothes, such as dresses, which i havent worn for years, which i cut down to make tops, all in lovely cottons. this is fun to do, and much cheaper- better value, fit , and quality than catologue clothes. and fun to search out vintage and antique fabrics too.

have to say france has some gorgeous fabrics if you do sew, and i have found ebay great for buying patterns and american cotton- well worth the extra postage.

just thought i would mention this as an alternative option; the home page of the catoloque you highlighted shows a couple of dresses/tops which would be a doddle to run up. a couple of hours work at most.

Comment

I must be related to Nicos and Shirl. Riding gear, and work clothes. Don't have a ball-gown though. Actually, come to think of it I do have sommat suitable, but no shoes t go with it. Dunno if it fits or not either!

I'm so used to bein' a scruff, I'd feel all self-conscious if I dressed up now! I live in combats, polo shirt and hiking boots. If I'm goin' out I put on clean ones!

Good luck with it Nicos, and do let us know how you get on.
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I know what you mean Nicos, as I 'live' in jods! But have to 'scrub' up a bit for my job! No suits for me here in France, like the old days in the office, but just smart tidy casual is what most people seem to wear in Brittany. Having been here for so long now, I actually prefer French clothes to English! I tend to buy from Gemo, La Halle or even some of the bigger supermarkets i.e. Carrefour. There is also quite a good shop called M&S (no, not Marks & Spencers!) who do cater up to larger sizes if needed. I also like to buy online here and find that La Redoute and Quelle are good. Bon Prix are also excellent and very good value. They all cater for larger sizes as well.

Good luck with your search.

Mrs TK
        Mr TK's blog:
        http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/
        2nd Jan early tomato sowing.

Video build your own Poly-tunnel

Comment

Dearest Nicos...Size doesn't matter!! Body language does. Clothes do maketh the man but you must feel good in them. I used to make clothes for the size 16's and over my label was "Pretty Big". Most of my 'ladies' wanted to look a size 12 the best thing is to look happy and wear a smile.

Comment

dont know whether this will help ; i did used to be very interested in clothes when younger,worked in theatre and for a dress designer and had a dressmaking business ) and have always had the knack of scrubbing up well ( good thing!) a couple of things i have used to liven or pick up any outfit : scarves look good at neck or arranged on shoulders or hair. i always wear a scarf at my neck, not as a friend suggested, because it hides the wrinkles (!) , but because i forever have severe sore throats. i aslo adapt things to be scarves, as i like to be different so i have a lovely antique handmade lace tablecloth, about 3' by 2' which i love as a winter scarf, also old skirts which i cut the waistband and pockets off (and finish edges) make great extravegant scarves for winter, and are very snug to wear. hankerchiefs make lovely summer scarves and give a jaunty air to whatever you are wearing. scarves and ties as belts, and scarves worn around the hips tied to one side are good, and hide faults too. also antique jewelry ( as i am horsey- it is ussually brooches ) can make a top look special without looking to dressy. or pin one at you hip with the scarf and fabric is everything; comfort and looks, so for that , i only ever wear natural fabric- cotton, linen, wool- the rest seems to change as you wash it,and is sticky and itchy to wear. the naturals let your skin breathe. apart from that , one good long length coat and expensive boots see me through winter as a great coverup to hide the mud, in summer nice tops cut to dip over bottom at back, and worn over jeans, or skirts, in my case just a few inches above the ankle, and that seems to see me through anything, and hides a multitude of sins. the main thing is to express your personality whilst feeling comfortable with it.
            Last edited by lindyloo; 16-06-2010, 05:15 PM.

Comment

i believe Marks & Spencer deliver to France ....personally I buy my clothes in England when I visit (tho i did buy two tops from M&S in Malta whilst I was there) because i have not found anywhere here to buy clothes (I'm a size 16).
              A Kiabi has opened in Cahors and they do larger sizes but the clothes I saw were ordinary. Theres a Tati here too - not been in it - but i couldnt buy Tati clothes could you?
              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Originally posted by Jardiniere View Post
                i believe Marks & Spencer deliver to France ....personally I buy my clothes in England when I visit (tho i did buy two tops from M&S in Malta whilst I was there) because i have not found anywhere here to buy clothes (I'm a size 16).
                A Kiabi has opened in Cahors and they do larger sizes but the clothes I saw were ordinary. Theres a Tati here too - not been in it - but i couldnt buy Tati clothes could you?
                There are 2 Halles aux vetements

LA HALLE CAHORS
                ZAC DE LABERAUDIE
                46000 Cahors

LA HALLE CAHORS
                ROUTE DE TOULOUSE
                46000 Cahors

Look out for an M&S, as MRs TK says, they have some nice things.

Comment

Nicos, this shop has really nice stuff.
                  H&M - Inspiration
                  There's one in Saint Brieuc, you may have to come over this way if there isn't one in your enck of the woods!
                  Also, Monoprix do some pretty things.

Comment

Good to know I'm not alone in the "what am I suppose to wear" stakes! I was really sporty as a kid and then was a PE teacher so lived in shorts or trackies and t-shirts. I now wear suits to work and walking/outdoorsey stuff the rest of the time. I dread the phrase "smart but casual" as my wardrobe doesn't have that section! Have got a wedding on Sunday and no clue what to wear.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                      Have got a wedding on Sunday and no clue what to wear.....
                      'ere ya go

aka
                      Suzie

Comment

beautiful!

Comment

As has already been said, accessories can bring a boring outfit to life! For this I adore Monsoon/Accessorize stores, Debenhams is also nice.

I also can't advise you fellow ladies to get your bra size measured every once in awhile - M&S will often do this for you. A properly fitting bra can change the way clothes hang on you dramatically, and will enhance those 'good' curves!

Comment

as edilith says, a good well fitting bra is an essential; i think it can even improve your posture and make you appear slimmer. and the best assesory of all is a friendly smile! ( gosh- i must re- learn to spell- i was so good at it in school too)

Comment

Originally posted by lindyloo View Post
                              ...a good well fitting bra is an essential...
                              Ah yes - R&P was a regular treat for me when I lived down Londinium way
                              aka
                              Suzie

Comment

LOL Piskie, but I think the bride may be a tad miffed if I turned up in that! The fact I wouldn't look like the photo and more of an escaped giant pavlova is nothing to do with it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X