Resourceful or just plain mad?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
    ok everyone that asked for the plum and chilli recipe. it's in a fab book i bought a while ago Good Old-Fashioned James, preserves and chutneys by sara paston-williams. loads of recipes you dont see much nowadays and also some really unusual ones.

1.5kg good flavoured plums
    4 slices of peeled fresh root ginger
    2 small cinnmon sticks, halved
    2 star anise
    300 ml water
    granulated sugar
    150 ml cider vinegar
    3 chillis (i used jalapenos cos i had them!)

wash the plums (no need to deseed or chop), pop in pan with ginger spices and water. simmer covered for approx 30 mins till they are soft and pulpy. add the cider vinegar and coook another 5 mins.

strain thru a jelly bag. recipe said overnight but i just did a few hours (impatient!)

measure the juice and for every 600ml of juice, add 350g - 450g warmed sugar (to taste & varies depending upon sweetness of plums)

heat gently in a clean pan, stirring till sugar has dissolved, then add deseed and sliced chillis.

boil until setting point is reached (for me it was about 18 minutes i think).

skim (I'm too mean and just stirred the scum in!) and pour into warmed, sterilised jars.

leave t stand for about 20 mins the stir to distribute chillis evenly. cover.

just had some of the left overs and it is really ncie.

recipe says good with pates, terrines, roast poultry, esp duck and goose....
    Thanks for that, it looks great
    Will definately try it out when I have some plums.

Has anyone tried roasted plum sorbet? I made this with greengages in the summer...loooveerly!

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
      Thanks for that, it looks great
      Will definately try it out when I have some plums.

Has anyone tried roasted plum sorbet? I made this with greengages in the summer...loooveerly!
      RECIPE please. I need something that will encourage stepchildren to eat and that sounds perfick.

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble_killer View Post
        RECIPE please. I need something that will encourage stepchildren to eat and that sounds perfick.
        I'll post it in the season to taste section

(Dont want the mods to get cross )

Comment

just counted up what i've made since the weekend with all the free stuff....84 assorted jars of chutney, jams, pickles and beena's!!! no wonder i'm done in.....

Comment

Your not the only one. I have 23 jars in my kitchen of chutney and jam and I have only stopped because I ran out of jars!
            My very pink Blog about food and...more food

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X