Beliefs and stuff

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beliefs and stuff

So who else is a bit 'new age' when it comes to growing things/life in general?

I sometimes wonder about being a bit more 'spiritual', but never could believe in organised religions.

I think gardening and growing things could become a bit 'spiritual'.

How 'bout youse?
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
    So who else is a bit 'new age' when it comes to growing things/life in general?

I sometimes wonder about being a bit more 'spiritual', but never could believe in organised religions.

I think gardening and growing things could become a bit 'spiritual'.

How 'bout youse?
    Manda- agre totally but don't have enough time to elaborate - will return and contribute later.
    The law will hang the man or woman
    Who steals the goose from off the common
    But lets the greater thief go loose
    Who steals the common from the goose
    http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

you can't grow your own without becoming more "in tune" with nature and the cycle of life.

Comment

Originally posted by serenity View Post
        you can't grow your own without becoming more "in tune" with nature and the cycle of life.
        Oh but you can - plenty of folk would/will do things the scientific way. I'm not anti-science (I did a science degree - failed ), but its only one belief system, not the only belief system!

Comment

I guess the frogs and Sarah's death, and Spring and growing things....got me thinking again - or its the red wine!

Comment

scientists still have to work with the seasons.

Comment

no they don't they think they can change the seasons!

Comment

how? are we talking heated greenhouses?

Comment

well they can seed rain clouds? and put fish genes in plants and grow ears on mice....so why not?

anyway I wanted a bit of a positive message, a way to see things as you say 'in tune', not discordant.

Comment

As I've lived all of my life within a mile of the countryside I think that I am intune with nature. My wife was brought up in Sutton Coldfield & the first year we lived together she was always noticing things like the 1st bluebells or the leaves turning - I guess it was everyday for me so I never noticed. THere's none so blind etc.

Also being a bit of a bumkin, I appreciate the seasonal quality of food. I love sprouts & Leeks but we rarely eat them when they are out of season as they just don't taste right
                    Last edited by nick the grief; 04-03-2007, 07:50 PM.
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

My family think I'm hippyish/new age.My sons don't really like my clothes,cos when I get chance to 'dress up' i wear 'Ethnicy clothes'.Since being 'grown up' I think I've definatley become more new age especially with how I eat and with the gyo and recycling and all the rest of it.Most of my relatives just think I'm exentric(OR LOOPY!)As for spirituality,my gardening and being at one with nature does it for me.

Comment

Earthbabe, what brought all that up on a Sunday night. You're certainly right that science doesn't have the answer to everything, and nobody else has a monopoly on the truth either. I subscribe to no religion, but was brought up in the Christian tradition. As I remember things, The first sin commited by Adam and Eve, was eating from the tree of knowledge which they had been forbidden to do. There are things not given to us to know and we just have to accept the mystery.
                        But there are things which all religions teach. Live in a right and proper manner and treat other people as you wish to be treated. I don't think you can go far wrong with that.
                        Just be true to yourself and live life in a way that feels right to you. I don't see any other way.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                          Earthbabe, what brought all that up on a Sunday night. You're certainly right that science doesn't have the answer to everything, and nobody else has a monopoly on the truth either. I subscribe to no religion, but was brought up in the Christian tradition. As I remember things, The first sin commited by Adam and Eve, was eating from the tree of knowledge which they had been forbidden to do. There are things not given to us to know and we just have to accept the mystery.
                          But there are things which all religions teach. Live in a right and proper manner and treat other people as you wish to be treated. I don't think you can go far wrong with that.
                          Just be true to yourself and live life in a way that feels right to you. I don't see any other way.
                          Well said Alice .
                          At home we were always told that what anyone did for a couple of hours on a Sunday (or any other day of the week )was entirely their own business and if they didn't do the same as you it didn't matter .
                          There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Earthbabe

You have hit on an interesting question and I hope it provokes a great thread.

My own journey has been one from a rather strict "religious" up bringing within the Christian tradition to a place where I can now easily be criticised as being "New Agey" because I find a kind of peace and serenity and connection with the "other" through the natural world.

Of course it is impossible to fully express these sorts of things in words but I think it is worth the trying.

I like the word connection because for me it describes those luminous (numinous) moments when things make complete sense, albeit often very fleetingly. And for me these moments happen when I am outdoors and revelling in nature. I first experienced this feeling/oneness connection thingy when I climbed to the top of of Hellvelyn aged about 12. I got to the top, looked about me and was amazed. I could only respond with silence. I was overawed. I can honestly say that I find my garden and allotment a place of connection - a connection with the real and natural rhythm of things, a connection with the overwhelming harmony of life/death, growth/decay.

No doubt the more dogmatic amongst us will find all this a bit wish washy, I know I have friends that do, as I am basing my understanding on what I am experiencing, rather than in some "revealed truth" (Bible, Qur'an, Torah, Buddah etc), but after much thought and debate in religious circles that is where I have got to - my partnership with nature is far more important to me than my conscious beliefs.

I respect those with a religious outlook as I think we all have it within us, what I struggle to respect is the doctrinal fundamentalism that is currently ruining our world. But I always remind myself that that is a minority of people who hold religious views, although their actions can make them a significant minority.

This is a huge area for discussion, and I hope it takes off.

PS thanks again for the JA tubers.
                            The law will hang the man or woman
                            Who steals the goose from off the common
                            But lets the greater thief go loose
                            Who steals the common from the goose
                            http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Are folk calling me earthbabe or am I hallucinating?

I very much like what you say JT - I'd like to get a bit gnostic myself, I'm just trying to figure out how.

Ah well the 'mundane' calls I must away to bed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X