No announcement yet.

Growing Week in my Primary School

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnty, it is really wonderful. Congratulations to everyone involved. It warms my heart to see it, and I hope it will outlast you all!

(Did you ever find out what your nickname is - and will you tell us?)

Comment

Originally posted by madderbat View Post
      Johnty, it is really wonderful. Congratulations to everyone involved. It warms my heart to see it, and I hope it will outlast you all!

(Did you ever find out what your nickname is - and will you tell us?)
      Apparently I don't have one - although I was foolish enough to leave the Vine visible on my latptop this lunchtime and some child asked me who Johnty Greentoes was this afternoon.
      The law will hang the man or woman
      Who steals the goose from off the common
      But lets the greater thief go loose
      Who steals the common from the goose
      http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by johnty greentoes View Post
        Apparently I don't have one - although I was foolish enough to leave the Vine visible on my latptop this lunchtime and some child asked me who Johnty Greentoes was this afternoon.
        Oh well, if that's how you want it, since you chose it it's not so bad???? (Does it count as a real nickname if it's not given?)
        Reminds me of Jennings first book. Darbyshire discovers that a nickname is OE 'Eek name' or 'other name'. Things we learn from books eh?

Comment

Well done...until time anon...

I totally add my congrats to the others - there are some things that you remember from being, like, 8 yrs old, and this will be one of them for your pupils - long after they have reunions and meet up when they are all 40 or 50 running conversations along the lines of ' ....do you remember that time we all had to do that that tree thing - willow structure for Mr whatsit...?...remember?...who was that chap who sorted it...hobbity foresthands...no, that wasn't it.....jobly yellowhammer....something like that....'

It will certainly be your legacy to both your school and that generation. Be proud of what you've all done.

Comment

It's really impressive Johnty. I hope we'll see a few more pics as the season progresses.

How did you explain Johnty Greentoes to the child? Where I come from (Manchester/Cheshire border) Ginny Greenteeth was a mythical water sprite - used as a threat of course - 'Don't go near the water, Ginny Greenteeth will get you'. There's a possibility in 'Don't damage the willow sculpture, Johnty Greentoes will get you'. However, I much prefer the truth. 'Don't go near the water, you can't swim!'

Flum
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
              It's really impressive Johnty. I hope we'll see a few more pics as the season progresses.

How did you explain Johnty Greentoes to the child? Where I come from (Manchester/Cheshire border) Ginny Greenteeth was a mythical water sprite - used as a threat of course - 'Don't go near the water, Ginny Greenteeth will get you'. There's a possibility in 'Don't damage the willow sculpture, Johnty Greentoes will get you'. However, I much prefer the truth. 'Don't go near the water, you can't swim!'

Flum
              Flum

Totally fascinated by this Ginny Greenteeth thing - where does the myth originate.

I chose Johnty Greentoes as it's sort of my name and sort of describes what a crap grower I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                I totally add my congrats to the others - there are some things that you remember from being, like, 8 yrs old, and this will be one of them for your pupils - long after they have reunions and meet up when they are all 40 or 50 running conversations along the lines of ' ....do you remember that time we all had to do that that tree thing - willow structure for Mr whatsit...?...remember?...who was that chap who sorted it...hobbity foresthands...no, that wasn't it.....jobly yellowhammer....something like that....'

It will certainly be your legacy to both your school and that generation. Be proud of what you've all done.

You comments are, as always, very kind and most welcome. I don't assume that my influence on those I teach will be as momentous as the way you describe - but you are right, that is the dream, to leave a positive influence on all those that cross your path.

Thanks again HATH.

Comment

Originally posted by johnty greentoes View Post
                  Flum

Totally fascinated by this Ginny Greenteeth thing - where does the myth originate.

I chose Johnty Greentoes as it's sort of my name and sort of describes what a crap grower I am.
                  But it has a feel of growing, from the ground up Johnty, makes me think of Lord of the Rings Tom Bombadil - your cousin I presume?

Comment

Johnty, the character occurs in the North-east (Lancashire, Cheshire, North Shropshire) and is known as Ginny, Jinny or Jenny Greenteeth . It's thought to come from Slavik origins - like the Rusalka stories. However, some botanist has suggested that the story originated because Lemna minor, the small duckweed, covers watercourses in the summer months and is, of course, green. I don't see the connection! I just like the name and my children know the character though not, I hasten to add, as a threat.

Flum

Comment

Originally posted by madderbat View Post
                      But it has a feel of growing, from the ground up Johnty, makes me think of Lord of the Rings Tom Bombadil - your cousin I presume?
                      ...thanks madderbat...my intention was to contrats greenfingers with greentoes - but I like the connotation you a]ha ve found.

Comment

I read LOTR 5 times but I confess to skipping over the Tom Bombadil bits the last 4 times. His distressing tendency to talk in iambic pentameter totally did me 'ed in.

Flum

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                          ....is known as Ginny, Jinny or Jenny Greenteeth ....
                          Flum
                          Terry Pratchet slipped a similar named character into his series for younger readers....he seems to take all sorts of folklore and give it a pratchet twist!

Comment

Now listen up. What started out as a self congratulatory tour aound a wonderful school project has turned into a thread about the relative merits of Tolkien and Pratchett.

Focus people.

Comment

Sorry Sir, minds wandering there a bit. If we stop looking out of the window can we still go out at playtime?

Flum

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X