No announcement yet.

Shakes = bacon :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder weither this is the same problem I keep having. I've never really used much salt as we never even had table salt in the house! I first bought salt when I moved to uni, and that was for other people to use. I still have the same pot of salt, 5 years on, and there is still loads in it

Problem is - I hate the taste of salt. I have to ask for little to no salt in my food when I eat out, the only salty food I like is a can of beans every so often. However, the doctor has made no mention of any problems with my (un) healthy hatred of salt.

Comment

Meat and cheese both contain a certain amount of salt, so if you eat those then you aren't likely to be short unless you sweat a lot. Sweat contains salt, so the more you sweat the more salt your body will use. For most of us it is very easy to eat much more salt than we need, but there will always be exceptions.
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Blimey Piskie, your much fitter than I am but I notice that I get the shakes during excercise around my monthlys.
        http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

Choccy cravings anyone ?

Is chocolate really good for you? | Life and style | The Guardian
          You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Comment

I'm vegan so no meat/dairy/ready meals...I wreckon if I am at home all day cooking for myself, I eat waaay below the RDA of salt. I tend to put a bit in my food if I've been cycling/excercising but I really don't like the stuff.

Chocolate craving sounds much better - and I think my problem is more related to missing meals rather than craving salt. Be aware that if you eat a lot of refined sugar this can wreak havoc on your blood sugar levels and cause the shakes - so maybe diet can be a contributing factor. By the sounds of it, though, you are very healthy and I'm sure its just one of those things

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
              Chocolate craving sounds much better - and I think my problem is more related to missing meals rather than craving salt.
              I don't think it's a matter of craving salt BT, just need to replace what has been lost through exercise.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Then how comes the balance sounds like it is usually right? (ie the OP hasn't had this problem before, even though she excercises often, and the same to me too) I guess now winter is here the body is working differently, and maybe the heaters were on at the gym making perspiration happen more. It has only happened to me twice recently, I haven't had it before. It has been in the last week, and I've been quite poorly so could be that.

I do wonder though, if you can eat too little salt? And what the affect is on the body?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  she takes rehydration salts (Diarrohea remedy) after every run
                  Orange juice & water (50/50) with a pinch of salt in it is apparently just as good as those "sport" drinks

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
                  I do wonder though, if you can eat too little salt? And what the affect is on the body?
                  Dizziness, confusion, cramps: Too little salt can be bad for you, too | Mail Online
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    Orange juice & water (50/50) with a pinch of salt in it is apparently just as good as those "sport" drinks[/url]
                    I totally agree, she used buy all of these isotonic drinks but found cheap rehydration powders even better as the sports drinks did not relieve her headaches.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I'm thinking the 'sports' drinks have a fair amount of sugar in, don't they?

OJ & water sounds good too
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

Yeah they are very high in sugar/artificial sweetner depending on which one you buy. Also lots of them are VERY high in potassium/sodium etc, like TS says its better (and cheaper) to have some fruit juice and salt so you can see what is going into your body. Also some of them have caffiene in them or other stimulants which I don't think is necisaary.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X