No announcement yet.

Kill it, Cook it, Eat it

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beefy : I only ever eat shish kebab - have always had suspicions about doner!

Earth babe - the day my sister brought a lobster home from Padstow and it walked out of the car was quite memorable, together with the day we brought a hand of mackerel from Newquay and they swam around the bowl as Mum washed them!! Tasted lovely though.
    Last edited by madderbat; 07-03-2007, 08:50 AM.

Comment

We bought a live lobster one summer when staying in France and our young daughter gave it a name and petted it all day
      Next morning , however, she mas most upset to find that it had 'escaped'
      Cut or gently bring to the boil?? has that debate been finally reolved?
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I used to go sea fishing when on hols with my Dad and younger brother, and a part of it was that if we caught anything big enough to eat that we had to kill the fish we had each caught! It certainly gave us an appreciation of where the food came from!

Mr D always fancied having a go at sea fishing, so a couple of years back we got a couple of rods and some kit, and now whenever we go on holiday to Wales we usually spend a bit of time beachcasting, not only great to be out in the weather and enjoying what you are doing, but also gives you something to pop on the barbie! Mind you, seeing him trying to kill the first dogfish he caught was comical, he tried to stun it with a blow to the head, and it just blinked at him and looked up as if it say, 'Is that all you've got?' Tough little blighters, but taste great on the barbie!

We watched it last night, we are both carnivors and have no problem with ow the animals were treated, it was humane and quick, and they had been given good treatment for all of their lives. I very much subscribe to HFW view that we should take responsibility for what we eat, and that if we choose to eat meat, then we should take the time and trouble to be fully aware of how the animals are reared and what happens when they go to slaughter.

Given the chance either of us would love to go hunting, not for any thrill, but for the fact that it really brings home to you what being a meat eater means, in all its graphic detail.
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
          Mind you, seeing him trying to kill the first dogfish he caught was comical, he tried to stun it with a blow to the head, and it just blinked at him and looked up as if it say, 'Is that all you've got?' Tough little blighters, but taste great on the barbie!

And it was fun chasing you up and down the beach with the squid intill i got it down your top can we do it again
          Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
          Dobby

Comment

I too come from a farming background and know where my meat comes from. Having said that, I just don't like looking at the procedure. I did however pluck the poultry that my dad would kill for the table and my grandad used to skin the rabbits he caught for my gran to make rabbit stew.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM wabit
              Dobby

Comment

If the programme shows people how the meat gets onto their plate & possibly puts some of them off it because of that then I think it's a good thing. I don't understand how anyone can kill an animal & eat it, I cry when I pass fields of playful lambs because I know that they will end up on someone's plate one day! We used to keep ducks when I was tiny & when my dad killed them to eat I wouldn't speak to him for weeks & refused to eat them (I was about 3-5 years old). He also used to bring rabbits home from the pub (dead ones-not the big pink ones you see when you've had too many!) for mum to skin & cook & I wouldn't eat them either.I do still eat some fish & seafood & know that makes me a hypocrite but I can just about stomach that as long as the fish doesn't have a head on & is looking at me!
                Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I once had a pig, that we named 10 to 6 because of markings on her nose. It was well cared for by a friendly farmer, who let the animals really free range. We went to see her as often as we could. The upshot of it was ,WE ATE HER. Didn't watch the slaughtering, bit of a woose their, I admit. The meat tasted fantastic, but my daughter got really upset when she realised we were eating 10 to 6, left her dinner, then demanded, a short while later, a bacon sandwich!!! Kid's eh?

Zebedee
                  "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyjb View Post
                    you live in a dream world beefy
                    It is a dream - but someday LJ is going to catch up with me .Then the nightmare begins
                    There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Tonight 10.30 BBC Three .
                      Its the pigs tonight.
                      There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

What Happend to Kill It cook it Eat it was looking forward to it last night when i got in from work at 10.30 and it was stupid eastenders
                        no offence to anyone that likes eastenders but.....
                        did they get too many complants or someting
                        or was people shoked by what they sore
                        Dobby

Comment

There were only 3 programmes Dobby, beef, lamb & pork so it wasn't on last night (finished on Wednesday).

Comment

I thought they siad it was about chickens and they was going to be the best of next time?
                            Dobby

Comment

Maybe they're going to do another series or something but the BBC website said it was just 3 programmes this week (don't think there's as much 'shock factor' in killing a chicken or anything fairly small, so maybe they decided not to bother?)

Comment

Bother I kept missing it!

I don't have a farming background but I still know where my food originates from! Killing the animals doesn't bother me at all...also doesn't bother my children the elder (7) of which suggested that when we get laying chickens and they don't lay any more we can eat it!

Bashed a few fish heads in my time though, however next time if we ever go fishing again it's tempting to take a sharp knife and just stick that in the head (which I think you can do).
                                Rachel

Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!

My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X