Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not Labour's mess. It's the financial sector's mess. If you take away all the money used to bail out the banks, how bad would our deficit be? Not forgetting that the Tories and LibDems voted in favour of those bail-outs at the time, but are now conveniently forgetting to mention them.... And, there are an awful lot of savvy economic experts saying that our situation is nowhere near as bad as has been painted by the gov't, even some of their own experts.

Comment

To be honest, it doesn't matter what Labour had done; the Tories were going to cut everything no matter what.

Comment

I/we spend most of my pension credits.
        If you take into account the taxes & the taxes on the profits of the people I spend my money with & the taxes on the wages of the people who served the government gets most of it back.
        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
        Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by lindyloo View Post
          valmarg: not sure what you mean- when you said' obviously you weren't there', followed by two unhappy smillies? but in case this helps- i was born in '53. there was still rationing of some things. classmates at the reservation. so, yes, people do live in various things other than houses when they have too.
          So lindyloo you are nine years younger than me. There was still rationing of everything, certainly food when I was born. Not to mention clothes and furniture.

D-day was 6th June 1944, my dad went over on 14th, and I arrived on 20th.

We all suffered severe hardship in the UK.

Looking back I wouldn't have liked to be an adult trying to live through those times.

valmarg

Comment

we owe a trillion quid Sarz, the bailouts were less than 60 billion, 1 in every 4 pounds spent at the mo is borrowed, so yes it is Labours mess, or more rightly Gordons mess.

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
              the government always forgets ... they arent working for themselves or their party, they work for us.
              Are you sure on that?
              Politicians keep their fingers in lots of pies, and nearly always seem to come out of the Gov't better off than when they went in.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                It's not Labour's mess. It's the financial sector's mess. If you take away all the money used to bail out the banks, how bad would our deficit be? Not forgetting that the Tories and LibDems voted in favour of those bail-outs at the time, but are now conveniently forgetting to mention them.... And, there are an awful lot of savvy economic experts saying that our situation is nowhere near as bad as has been painted by the gov't, even some of their own experts.
                From figures published September 2010, UK public sector net debt was £952.8 billion. (or 64.6% of National GDP) – Source: Office National Statistics [1] (page updated October 25, 2010)

Excluding Financial sector intervention, public sector debt is £842.9 billion or57.2% per cent of GDP

RBS worth £25 billion at market close yesterday
                lloyds worth £48 billion at market close yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                  we owe a trillion quid Sarz, the bailouts were less than 60 billion, 1 in every 4 pounds spent at the mo is borrowed, so yes it is Labours mess, or more rightly Gordons mess.
                  I'm blaming "prudence" she was around alot during Gordons early days then she buggered off and left him to it

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                    NO it's the banks fault for making easy credit available to too many people.

When I was a lad if I wanted to buy a tele/ fridge on hire purchase I nearly had to sign my life away and jump through hoops of fire..............backwards to get the deal now all you have to do is get the plastic out......................IT'S ALL TOO EASY.
                    PS I cut up my credit card 5 years ago I learnt the hard way.
                    All the plastic I have now is a debit card if I don't have the money I can't spend it.
                    Last edited by bubblewrap; 13-11-2010, 08:35 AM.
                    Brian Clough

Comment

i also think that there has been a lot of pressure to buy new, new, new, and the best or latest, most fashionable of everything, and everyone has been pressured to conform and be like everyone else. its been a spending frenzy,which was encouraged. i have always bought old or secondhand, and i am really struggling now to make ends meet, so i can't imagine how some people will cope, if they bought it all on credit.

valmarg- still not sure what you meant, but, i think we are both saying that when people face a struggle, somehow they have to cope?

Comment

It is a worldwide economical disaster.

Or, were Labour in charge of the budgets in Greece, Spain, Iceland, USA............?

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo and Dibs View Post
                          This is damning- 6 months into a new Tory mob in govt and there is talk of mass demos and strikes!
                          Who by, I'm most definitely not joining your anarchist movement cosmo and dibs.

valmarg

Comment

Demos and strikes are legitimate protestations; not anarchy.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                              Demos and strikes are legitimate protestations; not anarchy.
                              Roll back a couple of days. I don't think there was much terribly legitimate about that fiasco. Rent-a-mob showing their true colours.

valmarg

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
                                Roll back a couple of days. I don't think there was much terribly legitimate about that fiasco. Rent-a-mob showing their true colours.

valmarg
                                The police got this one wrong.
                                The march was routed passed Tory party HQ and the police were not there in a large enough presence to stop the attack happening.
                                Police numbers are being cut by the Tories was this a ploy to make the Tories change their minds
                                Conspiracy theory!
                                Brian Clough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X