No announcement yet.

Dexter the Dog - health update

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DDL, I just had a thought, Lady was once knocked down and suffered a bit with arthritis afterwards, and we got her a copper chain collar, which she wore with her normal collar, and it did seem to help! Basically we went to a pagan jewellery shop, and bought several of the copper type chains that are sold as bracelets (supposed to be good for arthritis and joint pain), and the owner linked them together into one long one, it certainly seemed to help her and was relatively cheap! Perhaps you could try something similar with Dexter?
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Fancy letting your dog jump up on the bed. You should build him a ramp.
      Last edited by Digger-07; 12-03-2007, 06:00 PM.
      Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

Hi Bernie,

Sorry to hear about Dex. I know all to well what it's like but if he's only a youngster I'm sure he'll bounce back in no time - the warmer weather will help.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

elsie duck(4yrs) has arthritis now after a partiullaly bad bumble foot episode, she has metacam the dog drug for pain and swelling it works really well, dont give it to her everyday just when shes bad, and if you think giving a cat medicine is bad try a 3 kilo duck.
          hope dexter gets well soon.
          Yo an' Bob
          Walk lightly on the earth
          take only what you need
          give all you can
          and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Update

Hello everyone. Thank you so much for your advice and help. I rang the vets and explained that he was much better after taking their tablets and asked if it was really necessary to stress him out by bringing him back again. They said no. They also said that he didnt need any more of the tablets which they had given him.

On Friday the synflex liquid I had ordered (thanks OWG and Heather) arrived so I have been putting a little into Dexters food. He doesn't mind taking it in this form. Yes, I have read "giving a cat a pill" and have tried to do just that on several occasions! so the liquid is fine.

I also got Dexter a magnetic collar which he is now wearing. He has had a good day yesterday, just taking things easy, only a couple of small walks, and will take him a couple of small walks today - depending upon the weather!

I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to everyone - you've not only helped Dexter, but you've also helped me and stopped me from worrying! You really are a super bunch of people, and I'm really grateful. Bernie aka DDL
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Glad to hear Dexter is doing okay and that you are bearing up.

There is nothing worse than adjusting to a different exercise level - I think it is possibly harder to adjust to a lesser ability when you have been used to being fit than getting used to doing more!

Good luck and best wishes to you both.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

Good to hear hes on the mend DDL .
                Best of luck with him .
                There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Great to hear DD is on the mend. Keep up the good work both of you.
                  Bright Blessings
                  Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Great News Bernie! Keep us posted on how you both get on! And Bella sneds a woof and a hug too!
                    Blessings
                    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

I'm thrilled that Dexter has picked up, and hope that things continue to get better.
                      I'm not sure if you saw my post about acupuncture for animals? I'm not trying to plug it, but I do know it works, and it might be worth investigating if, in the future Dexter needs more care.

All the best

Comment

Thanks everyone! Dexter says a big woof woof and thanks as well.
                        I will bear the acupuncture in mind MB - having said that, Dexter is highly suspicious of "men in white coats" ie. vets and the like - actually, Im more afraid of needles than what he is!
                        Will keep everyone posted, but Dexter looks rather grand with his new
                        magnetic collar on.
                        Once I get to grips with my new lappy, will be able to post some photos!
                        DDL
                        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I do sympathise with that poor dog. I have arthiritis myself which came on over the last year or so as I reached 'a certain age.' I have it in my left knee, my hands and my ribcage. Using glucosamine but I REALLY don't fancy acupunture ! I asked the Doc (nearly said vet!) if I'd grow out of it, like teenage acne. No chance!

Flum
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Great to hear the DD is feeling better. I've often said that too much exercise is a bad thing. Although I think it's time I got a magnetic collar to ease my aching limbs.
                            Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                              Thanks everyone! Dexter says a big woof woof and thanks as well.
                              I will bear the acupuncture in mind MB - having said that, Dexter is highly suspicious of "men in white coats" ie. vets and the like - actually, Im more afraid of needles than what he is!
                              Will keep everyone posted, but Dexter looks rather grand with his new
                              magnetic collar on.
                              Once I get to grips with my new lappy, will be able to post some photos!
                              DDL
                              Aah, I forgot to mention that my friend uses no needles, just a gizmo that vibrates at the right point. She has helped me and other people too (vets can treat people, as well as animals) and it really does work I promise.
                              I think you'll find that vets can't get aminals to lie still long enough to have needles in them!

Comment

dexter dog

My dog is a 3 year old jack russell who has hip dysplacia. And you wouldn't know he had it! It has it real bad but as soon as he was diagnosed i got him onto glucosamine powder (noractive) and although he needs metacam (anti-inflamatory) in the winter he only has half the dose. He also goes to a hydrotherapy pool to build up his muscles and keep the weight off but he hasn't been since september. Luckily my insurance pays for it, although I had to find a vets practice with a pool overwise they wouldn't pay out. We will start swimming again when the weather warms up.

I would say the glucosamine is fantastic. Before he started on it he had puny little back legs but within 6 months they had strengthened up. It helps build up the cartlilage and helps support the artheritic joint. I can buy Noractive from th evet but it is alot cheaper if you buy it from www.petmeds.co.uk, or a similar online pet pharmacy because it doesn't need a prescription.

Alfie will need an operation on his hips but at the moment it is controlled and he is a little nutter with greyhound best friends. He has more energy than them!

I hope this helps you. It horrible to think your dog may be in pain. I know when Alfie's overdone it when he chews his leg. Oh yes, I also got Alfie an orthopedic dog bed, its full of little polystyrene beads which keep him warm and supported.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X