Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations DV

Well done DV and every one else,

BW and I went cold turkey on 3rd October last year. It took about three months for the agony to stop, 35 years of nicotine washing our of my system, but things have got better now.

I always said that I would NEVER 'TRY' to give up, but would do it when the time was right and I really meant it.

Spent several months beforehand psyching myself up to the fact that I didn't really enjoy it, it tasted horrible and was doing me no good at all. When D-day came if I thought about having one I just told myself ' you don't do that any more'.

Poor BW went through more difficult times and still gets the urge now and again (but resists, bless him).

Keep it up DV, and just remind yourself that 'I don't do that any more'.

Life just gets better And I hope the wife's headache goes away!!!!
    Last edited by madderbat; 16-03-2007, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Well done DV. Both OH and myself gave up back in 1991, "cold turkey" style and both found it surprisingly easy. We didn't put the ciggie to one side; in fact we both wondered where we'd found the money to smoke in the first place.
      Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

Congratulations! As a lifelong non-smoker I can't empathise like other viners have done but know you'll continue with the health benefits forever. It takes some time for the effects to leave your body but you'll improve your lung capacity and this will increase your stamina. Keep saying 'I'm a non-smoker' and it will keep being true.

We're all trying to make sure we put good unpolluted food into our bodies. Now you are not undoing the good work.

Well done,
        Flum
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

My TOP TIP is to have a cup of tea everytime you want a ciggie...just the act of getting up and putting the kettle on distracts you, for a start....and all that running up and down to the loo starts you on the road to better fitness!

I was on 20 cups of tea a day for a week or so, but you start to realise what a faff it is to smoke e.g. have to go outside at work, say, and how much time it takes up (I'll just finish this ciggie, then....).

Day 3 def the most difficult - significantly easier after a week, as you've broken the physical habit of reaching for a fag! HTH and keep up the good work, DV!

Comment

[QUOTE=Hazel at the Hill;77709]My TOP TIP is to have a cup of tea everytime you want a ciggie...just the act of getting up and putting the kettle on distracts you, for a start....and all that running up and down to the loo starts you on the road to better fitness!

I was on 20 cups of tea a day for a week or so, but you start to realise what a faff it is to smoke e.g. have to go outside at work, say, and how much time it takes up (I'll just finish this ciggie, then....).

NO way I was a 50- 60 a day man(3x50grm packs a week) would have needed a catheter? I just thought of my health & not being treared like a leaper

The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
            Brian Clough

Comment

How's it going?????

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hi Don
                Keep going there.....

I found I had to stop doing the things that made me want one in the first place... like at the pub if I had a bottle of beer in one hand i had to have a cigerette in the other! I'm not saying give those things up but just give yourself a break from them while you're at your most vunerable point.
                Also decaf might be an idea, otherwise you might be reaching for a cig when that next bout of stress kicks in? dunno i know its different for everyone, i guess you don't want to give up too much at once, but one might aid the other...
                Take care and keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by tinyvine View Post
                  Hi Don
                  Keep going there.....

I found I had to stop doing the things that made me want one in the first place... like at the pub if I had a bottle of beer in one hand i had to have a cigerette in the other! I'm not saying give those things up but just give yourself a break from them while you're at your most vunerable point.
                  Also decaf might be an idea, otherwise you might be reaching for a cig when that next bout of stress kicks in? dunno i know its different for everyone, i guess you don't want to give up too much at once, but one might aid the other...
                  Take care and keep it up.
                  How about a bottle in each hand?
                  The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                  Brian Clough

Comment

I agree tinyvine, like any other addiction you have to break the cycle of association. Another problem I found with the smoking/drinking association was that (of course!) drinking lowered your resolve/willpower.
                    To see a world in a grain of sand
                    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Well done to Don & all the rest of you who've given up smoking. I can't wait for when smoking's banned in pubs & places serving food this year as I hate smelling like I'm on 50 a day when I come out of somewhere & getting home & having to strip off & put everything in the wash. Never smoked myself apart from a couple of 'experimental ' packs of Consulate, those menthol flavoured ones when I was about 17!
                      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Well done Don . Ive been off them for nearly three years now.Used the patches for six weeks and so far have never looked for one (that includes 4 wedding parties where 10 of us got blind drunk).All I can say is - it gets easier.
                        There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Well done DV and everybody else who has given up, please stick with it

My mother was rushed into ITU last week (smoking related), it was touch and go and we all thought it was a one way trip - on this occaion she pulled through - don't do that to yourself
                          Save the earth - it's the only planet with chocolate

Comment

Very inspiring (she said with a cigarette on the go), like the cups of tea idea, displacement activity a very good idea. And saving up for something, would help my chicken fund no end.
                            Having given up god knows how many times before, perhaps it's time to psych myself up for another go
                            Sue

Comment

Sue, I tried giving up a couple of times - eventually I had to acknowledge to myself that I could never have another ciggy again and I did want to give up for my health. It was a point I had to get to and it wasn't easy cos I enjoyed smoking, but realised I did want to stop.

Good Luck.
                              Last edited by smallblueplanet; 16-03-2007, 07:56 PM.
                              To see a world in a grain of sand
                              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I was one of the grapes who gave up last year - I have to admit to faltering a bit but back off them again for a good lot of months now- it's just too hard to roll your own when its blowing a gale in the depths of winter !!
                                All I can say is don't give up, just think of the benefits. Whilst I haven't noticed any side effects, eg weight gain etc, I do now notice the smell of stale smoke and it makes me queasy. I feel a lot fitter and healthier, but do find it hard when I'm having a drink with mates. However, the smoking ban in Scotland has eased that considerably.
                                Keep at it, and whenever you are tempted, just think of why you wanted to kick the habit in the first place and find something else to do with your hands
                                Rat

British by birth
                                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X