Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does ethical living actually mean - seminar notes (long)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does ethical living actually mean - seminar notes (long)

First Leo spoke a bit about his year trying to live as ethically as possible. He said that the problem with EL with that there are no hard and fast rules, no 10 commandments that you can put up on your fridge to adhere to. When he had three "ethical auditors" to see him at home, they spent the majority of the time arguing with each other. It all comes down to personal priorities.

Leo said that there are many different groups of things that come under the EL umbrella:
    Food - what you eat, food miles, seasonality, ethical production of food, fairtrade, organic etc
    Waste - packaging, recycling, etc
    Footprint - carbon emissions, power generation/consumption, etc
    Consuming - clothes, luxuries, other non-food items

He wanted to tackle everything at once, but his wife suggested they try and focus on one thing at a time. He said that just doing the shopping was a nightmare at first and caused huge arguments. Should they buy from a supermarket or local producer? What would be their food mile limit? Would they by fairtrade/organic even if it has high food miles. They ended up with an empty trolley!
    Eventually they found local markets and a veg box scheme, and it was easier that way.
    He said the problem with things like this is that not everyone has access to local producers, or can grow their own food. Sometimes a supermarket can be the only option. E.g. they live in London, so a local producer generally comes from outside the M25, so is that local?

They then tried to reduce their waste by at least 50%. They tried to buy food with less packaging on (easier at markets etc than supermarkets), they tried to recycle as much as possible. They had the "nappy debate" - disposables or reusable's? Most people would go for reusable's, but thinking ethically, you have to consider the water and power they use when being washed/dried etc.

Leo spent a day following his rubbish to the landfill site, and was horrified when he saw the huge pit where everything gets dumped. He thought that every child should go and see a landfill - he said they were "awesome, but for all the wrong reasons".

He said that the whole experience was frustrating, because there are no hard and fast rules, sometimes the simplest thing has to be thought about in so many ways. Leo thinks part of the problem is just this - people who are newer to the experience of EL want rules to follow, not to have to have mini-debates every time you need to buy something or go somewhere.. He said there's also a lot of apathy, because people believe that they can't make a difference on their own, or that it's all a conspiracy made up by the government.

He then took some questions from the floor.

The first question was "Which is the most ethical way to travel to America?"
    Leo said the most ethical way was not to go! But he discussed the pros and cons of flying versus sailing etc. He also talked about something called "Love Miles" (like food miles). I've never heard of these, but understand that it's something to do with how far you're prepared to travel to see friends and relatives.

He discussed the whole taxing flights more, and said that the UK is one of the only places that's trying to cut down on flights etc, as we're one of the only countries that has had such a boom in low-cost airlines and holidays. Leo said that around 60%+ of flights that depart from the UK are leisure flights, and that really you ought to have a purpose to your trip. Only you could decide whether going on holiday is a valid purpose.

This brought the topic neatly round to carbon emissions and offsetting. Leo thinks that the whole offsetting trend is a load of rubbish. The whole point of bringing attention to carbon emissions is to cut them, not offset them. By planting a tree (or 2 trees etc) it's doing something good for the environment, but not cutting emissions at all. He thinks that there's too much emphasis on buying the offsetting - is that ethical? People will not change their habits if you don't provide an incentive or put them off (i.e. raise prices, invest in newer engines and fuel technologies). People will believe that you can still fly four times a year as long as you plant a few trees - this is not ethical!

There was then a question about the impact of the media on EL. Does the media help or harm the cause? Does it trivialise the main issues?
    Leo thought that there was a bit of both. The problem is that the media is so fickle and transient that sometimes the main points of issues are lost amid screaming headlines and sensationalist stories. He said that the Daily Mail found counter arguments to every green/ethical issue and that a programme C4 aired recently about global warming were points to note. He thinks there is not enough impartial reporting of facts, and instead everything is sensationalised. People often don't get the whole story or facts and this leads to people not knowing enough to do something about it.
    (I lost the other points made in this question as the woman started breastfeeding a few seats away from me)

I then asked: "What is the best way of eating ethically? Is it growing your own, eating locally/foods with less miles, fairtrade or organically?
    Leo said that this was one of the hardest issues to deal with. He said that nearly every option created problems with one of the other options. E.g. growing your own veg deprives local farmers, organically grown or fairtrade food often has high food miles.
    Part of the issue is that the consumer-driven society has created markets elsewhere - the high demand for out of season vegetables, fruit and flowers has created mini-economies in places like Africa etc. By stopping buying these items, we crash this economy and therefore create problems for someone else - this is not ethical.
    One of the ways this can be helped is with things like Fairtrade - this means that the grower has more help and the money we do spend is actually being used properly.
    Not everyone can grow their own vegetables, or get to a local market etc.
    Leo also noted that it is almost impossible to be totally self-sufficient, unless you have absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the world, don't use money etc.
    He said that the most ethical way to eat was by doing/supporting a little bit of everything. Grow your own or buy local, choose things with fewer food miles, if you have to buy things (such as coffee) which require higher food miles, buy fairtrade etc. He emphasised that there was no right way to do it, and it came down to personal circumstances and priorities. If you have 2 young children to feed, your priorities have to be feeding them healthy, nutritious food, sometimes regardless of where it comes from.

The last question was "Is it acceptable to break the law to live ethically?"
    The person that posed this question was referring originally to protesting about Trident submarines. He had friends who were protesting peacefully (sitting in the road) and they were arrested and taken to the police station. Effectively, they were trying to be ethical, but had broken the law.
    Leo said that this was a very grey area. He said that the criminal justice system was a bit of an ass when it came to things like this. He believes that non-violent protests (like the one described above) can be considered OK, even though they do technically break the law. He was reluctant to make any comments concerning some of the actions of animal-rights protesters for example.
    He also touched on the subject of bio-terrorism and said that he was surprised that there had not been any incidents of this, given the amount of people who are slowly joining the green/ethical movement. He said he wouldn't be surprised if there were acts of bioterrorism in the next 5 to 10 years.

We had then ran out of time and everyone mobbed Leo to get him to either sign their book or ask him other questions.

Comments, questions, discussions welcome!

Comment

Ho OWG I enjoyed reading that, very thought provoking. Who is Leo? I am probably asking a very stupid question but just wondered.
      May all our seeds germinate and grow

Helen

Comment

oops, I just found the other thread and now know, sorry!!!!!!
        May all our seeds germinate and grow

Helen

Comment

sorry, I don't understand why this man is the centre of attention. this is nothing new to anyone, gyo, if not buy local or fairtrade ect ect... this is not ground breaking stuff

and what is meant by "gyo deprives local farmers"? are we all to stop growing our own veg?

Comment

Thank you so much owg, it was really good of you to put the effort in. Will need to think about it and comment later.

Comment

Originally posted by serenity
              sorry, I don't understand why this man is the centre of attention. this is nothing new to anyone, gyo, if not buy local or fairtrade ect ect... this is not ground breaking stuff....
              I take it you've never seen the pictures of mothers taking orders from kids for junk food after their school banned its sale then? I'd have thought there are many out there how know nothing about ethical living or who think its just some middle class affectation!?
              Last edited by smallblueplanet; 16-03-2007, 05:52 PM.
              To see a world in a grain of sand
              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Such a lot of info, can't possibly comment on it all...
                Personally, I got into Green issues after having cancer (age 25). Nobody knew why, or how. My doctors thought vitamins etc would have no impact on my future health (!)
                I had a lot of time on my hands in between treatments, and got an allotment for some fresh air and space (having been allocated a typical garden-less flat).
                I just gradually got more interested in healthy food/foodmiles/buying locally (supporting local traders instead of Tesco).
                I'd given up my car 5 years previously, having realised that cycling was cheaper and much quicker.
                Now I am thinking about reducing the amount of plastic I buy. Plastic comes from oil, oil comes from the Middle East...am I supporting the war by consuming plastic?
                (let alone the unbiodegradability of the damned stuff)
                Being on a very small fixed income, I cannot afford to buy Fairtrade or Organic, so I just do the best I can. That's all we can do. But I have no time for people who just shrug and say 'what I do won't change anything'...we changed slavery and apartheid didn't we?
                Well, tired now, and probly rambling a bit, so signing off...
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I agree with Sbp - the western world in particular is full of people who know nothing, and care even less, about ethical living. It is an individual choice, but as us grapes are all into GYO etc, we are in the minority when it comes to being relatively knowledgeable on this subject, or at least on certain aspects of it.
                  Unfortunately, these lectures are all very well but are usually only attended by those with an interest i the subject. The message has to get across to the masses - not easy - remember the probs Jamie Oliver had changing the school dinner menus ?
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

The basics aren't exactly rocket science but as can be seen from some of the other threads on this site there are many different slants on something even within a group of people who at least have an interest in food etc through GYO. Therefore, whilst Leo should be nothing special, by opening up discussions on these issues (through talks like this, his regular columns and various books) then he is doing a good and worthwhile job. It's very important and it never fails to amaze me how few people realise this. Was talking to a guy at work today after he bought a few bits at the supermarket this lunch. This consisted of strawberries, sugar snap peas and mange tout. I asked him if he'd considered buying seasonally and he told me that they were nice and therefore he should have them and anyway the strawberries would be lovely cos they were all so big and perfectly dark red. He genuinely did not understand why he should care about the excessive package, food miles etc assocated with them and he's an intelligent professional.

Oh yeah and thanks OWG for posting such a very extensive summary.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thank you, OWG

Just want to say thank you for going to the trouble of your extensive report, OWG - it has given me, and I'm sure many other grapes, much to think on... this will be an interesting thread in the days to come, I'm sure.

Comment

Hmm, lots to think on, but as always, it comes down to the individual themselves on what they are able to do, what they are prepared to do and what they individually will not do! I agree that those of us with an interest in GYOing are more likely to try to live as ethically as we are able, whereas others without an interest are less likely to be as aware of the issues, and unfortunately for a lot of those 'in the street' they are not well informed enough to make an informed decision and to weigh up the consequences. Afterall, if the govt try to tell us to do something a lot of folks will not want to just because they feel as though they are being forced into doing something against their will, and with supermarkets catering to everyones merest whim in terms of what food they have available, then people will buy it, a lot of them not being aware of the consequences of that foods production and travel!

I'm afraid I personally feel that the only way that we can move forwards is through better education of the issues in the schools, as those who know more grow older and are then able to make their own decisions, then hopefully they will be ethically based ones!

Thanks OWG for posting such a well written summary, it was very interesting and thought provoking!
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          The basics aren't exactly rocket science but as can be seen from some of the other threads on this site there are many different slants on something even within a group of people who at least have an interest in food etc through GYO. Therefore, whilst Leo should be nothing special, by opening up discussions on these issues (through talks like this, his regular columns and various books) then he is doing a good and worthwhile job. It's very important and it never fails to amaze me how few people realise this. Was talking to a guy at work today after he bought a few bits at the supermarket this lunch. This consisted of strawberries, sugar snap peas and mange tout. I asked him if he'd considered buying seasonally and he told me that they were nice and therefore he should have them and anyway the strawberries would be lovely cos they were all so big and perfectly dark red. He genuinely did not understand why he should care about the excessive package, food miles etc assocated with them and he's an intelligent professional.

Oh yeah and thanks OWG for posting such a very extensive summary.
                          I bet his supermarket stuff wasn't that great anyway - he'd think differently if he'd picked them straight from the plant and eaten them. Also, I don't know whether they do this for strawberries or not, but I only recently heard that supermarket strawberries have chemicals added to make them red, even though they're not actually ripe; this is so they can store them for longer in transit and in situ and so they look appealing to the customer. How rubbish is that!?

I'm afraid our household doesn't do nearly enough for us to call ourselves ethical. So what do we do?
                          We compost and recycle - though the only thing I recycle which isn't collected by the council (tins, paper and glass) is the basic plastic and cardboard if we happen to have large quantities of it. Of course you then have the dilema over whether the emisions used to take the plastic and cardboard to the household recycling centre (HRC) counteracts just chucking it in the bin in the first place. Annoyingly, I pass a HRC on my way to and from work, BUT it opens AFTER I have to be at work and closes BEFORE I get away from work! Hopefully they'll be changing their opening times soon though as we officially hit Spring.
                          We shower instead of bath, but I have to add, I'd bath the majority of the time if only we had hot water!
                          We (I!) grow our own fruit and veg - to an extent. Obviously I can't grow all veg, but I do try to utilise the plot, then eat according to what we have available. And obviously some things are preserved, so we are able to use them through the year.
                          We go on one foreign holiday a year - AT MOST - tends more to be every other year, and we don't fly for business (however, we do use the cars to travel to and from work, BUT, I did get a job a two thirds closer to home than last year.)
                          I try to be more aware of where things have come from and if possible use local suppliers. I now only buy my bird seed and peanuts from a local hardware shop as they package in brown paper, which then goes on the recycling pile (and they're the cheapest!)
                          I teach the children in my care about looking after the planet and recycling etc. They're only 4 and 5, so it's basic stuff, but well worth doing. I also try to get any new school I work in to start recycling and composting.

Putting it all down in black and white makes me realise that I have to do more. Unfortunately, my OH is of a similar mind to a lot of people and can't really be bothered with the whole thing n(to an extent), which does annoy me. But luckily, he likes to humour me, so he does certain things that he wouldn't otherwise bother with.

Comment

Sounds like you're not doing too bad, Waffler - I'm fortunate that my OH is quite supportive and we've agreed to try and target things one at a time. Like you, we try to buy as little packaging as possible, and where it's necessary try to ensure it's recyclable / compostable. I've cut back on car use but OH is very dependant (one I'm working on!) but both of fly on holiday (on average twice a year in the past but last couple of years we've reduced this to once) and have to fly within the UK for work. The work one is difficult, I changed to a job close to home so my daily travel can be by bike but am expected to fly about once a month. Am trying to cut back by using video conf facilities but it is very hard. Anyway, ramble over, if we all keep trying, although we may never get all the way there, every bit helps!!!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Strange one. I Am currently out of work & the joke (job) shop insists that I should be prepared to travel up to one & a half hours for a job.
                              Does this mean by bus, car or train. Could mean me going to London or Manchester? But in reality why should I travel that far?& spend hours a week to a job that paid less than 10K.I have few skills & no qualifications and would expect to earn no more than that for a normal weeks work
                              Point is why is the government forcing me to travel just for a pittance?
                              Last edited by bubblewrap; 18-03-2007, 02:20 PM.
                              The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                              Brian Clough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X