Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by taff View Post
    For swindon freecycle.
    and edited because this forum is searchable...
    Done! Nifty.

Comment

Oh eck, my daughter is fancying an ice-cream maker, so I told her to look on Freecycle as I'm sure there must be loads of people with machines in their cupboard covered in dust. I might tell her not to bother now .....
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

No don't!

Ice cream maker in cupboard = good

Ipod touch worth £150+ and a very recent gadget = bad

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
          Oh eck, my daughter is fancying an ice-cream maker, so I told her to look on Freecycle as I'm sure there must be loads of people with machines in their cupboard covered in dust. I might tell her not to bother now .....
          It's fine to put out a wanted and prompt kitchen gadget folk to move things on, as many items may only get used a couple of times. I feel if folk just put a polite wanted, with no hard luck stories and they feel chuffed if they are lucky and not see it or write a post as if they have a right to make a demand, then there is no problem. We all fancy something every now and then, but I do feel you also have to give items and not just take. "What goes around comes around".

I actually only joined because I got an allotment, and I did really well with offers and put out a wanted. But now so many new folk have allotments, t

Comment

I'm fed up of Freeglers not turning up, so now I list my stuff on eBay for a penny ... if they don't turn up, they don't get good feedback
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I found that if I offered to the first person who mailed, they never turned up. Now I never give them my address in the first e-mail, always ask them to turn up at a time that suits me, not them, and if they still don't turn up, I never offer them anything again.
              I pick people who give stuff as well as want it, and search to see what their posting history is like.
              There are always going to be ones that ask for everything then decide they don't really want it, so when I have things spare now [ I get a lot of barrels form work, they just throw them out], I offer them to people who've collected in the past, or give it to a local rescue center.

Comment

Yep I only now give my address, once we've agree a set collection time.

Comment

I gave up on Freecycle because of the greediness and rudeness

All my small stuff went to charity anyway but now if I have anything big, I just put it on the kerb. Without fail it's 'rehomed'. It may well be the same sort of freeloaders who take it but at least I'm spared all the ire of having to deal with no shows and pee takers
                  I was feeling part of the scenery
                  I walked right out of the machinery
                  My heart going boom boom boom
                  "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                  I've come to take you home."

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    I'm fed up of Freeglers not turning up, so now I list my stuff on eBay for a penny ... if they don't turn up, they don't get good feedback
                    This is exactly what I have started doing and seems to cut down on the utter loons who seem to populate freecycle I gave up ages ago and I was only trying to get rid of stuff!

Comment

Reading all these posts I seem to be really lucky with my FC groups. I belong to 2 local fc groups which are both modded and normally have sensible postings for wanted. I recently 'won' a gorgeous wooden table for my kitchen and then 5 garden chairs and a knackered bike for a 'do-up' project. Most of the stuff posted is pre-tipping, which is often used as a threat. Ie pick it up ........ or it will be taken to the tip the next day.

We set up a different group called Cambridge Cafe where people can chat, ask advise or where to get a plumber, seems that having this option leaves us FC peeps to get on with it.

I've offered as much as I can and only 1 no show I think. Some peoples 'won't be long' varies from my time scale but now I give them a time to be there.

I like it a lot.

Comment

Like Lizzie Lemon I am really lucky with my freecycle and Freegle group, I have had some wonderful items and managed to give a fair amount away too.
                        Ours is modded quite well, I tend to ask for only items which would likely be thrown out (tesco vouchers for schools, old bikes for spares etc) but did get an email reminding me to offer items too. I had responded to a number of wanted ads and given stuff away that way, but hadnt offered anything for some time!
                        Quite frankly, if someone wants to car boot or ebay my stuff, I dont mind. If I wanted to car boot it or ebay it, that option was open to me, but as I didnt, it doesnt worry me if someone else wants to do that
                        I love my freecycle!!!
                        http://365daysinthegarden2011.blogspot.com/

url]http://clairescraftandgarden.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

MInes been great for our garden group at school. Lots of plant donations and fruit bushes, plus a delivery of a large blackcurrant and directions to a manure heap!

I posted more than 3 times in 30 days and got told off though! In my defence it wasnt for me but the garden group and was only asking for a few cuttings. I also offer to send a letter from the head as well to prove we are a genuine group.

Ive had problems with no turn uppers though and now post that I will make a note of name and email and never reoffer if they fail to return!
                          I agree there aresome piss takers too on our branch, but sometimes they seem to get what they ask for? Laptop etc? I wonder if hey work when they set them up though!

I also offer freebies on up a gumtree site too, which I like, but if your a rue freegeler in spirit well done, what goes round comes round I say! xx
                          http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

laptops are quite common giveaway items now, old ones though, not spanking new ones

Comment

Originally posted by jackyspratty View Post

Ive had problems with no turn uppers though
                              That's the biggest problem, for me. I now add their email address to my Yahoo Spam filter so I never get to hear from them again
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 14-03-2011, 02:09 PM.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Loads of cheeky gits around here too! I often see, a bed, plus match ing side tables/wardrobes would really help my son as he's moving into his own room now yada yada.

Anyone that doesn't say please or thank you in any emails to me I just delete straight away. Similar with ones that can't be bothered to write a proper message, and use 'txt spk'- "You are the weakest link, goodbye!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X