No announcement yet.

Freecycle

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is rather different in my area. Our local freecycle group changed over to freegle a while ago and I have just checked through the latest batch of posts.
    Interestingly enough there are more offers than wanteds.
    All of the wanteds are quite modest - second hand kitchen units, a bike doesn't need to be pretty, a small flying jacket for a dressing up event at school, that sort of thing.
    Not a cheeky 'wanted' in sight!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
      Anyone that doesn't say please or thank you ... I just delete
      Lol, you're nearly as heartless as I am
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Must get in touch with Swindon Freecycle, it's within viable distance, and there must be some things I could hand over to another user!
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I've had mixed results. In Cardiff we got loads of really good stuff and managed to get rid of some stuff without too much hassle. Now we've moved I joined the Bristol and Bath groups as we live between the two, but Bristol kicked me out quite rudely as they thought I lived too far away. Bath is quiet but picked up a darlek composter tonight and got about 20 terracotta pots recently.

Comment

Now I feel tempted to try to join them(again),just to see what they're like here.My first request to join freecycle was rejected - fridge still in the working order went to the skip instead of being given to somebody in need.I got friendly with Gumtree since then.
            I don't mind people asking for stuff but I don't like being taken for a ride/scroungers.

Comment

If you just use it to get rid of your stuff, and set your membership to no emails, you won't be bothered by the posts.
              If you do join with an e-mail address, and the group is Yahoo based, write to the mod address and ask themto set you to special notices, hey presto, no e-mails

Comment

Ours varies although to be honest I only have a look there if there's something I think I might get (got my lottie shed there) or more often to get rid of stuff I don't want. Have never had problems with pick ups or drop offs and ignore all the desperate pleas for cars, freezers etc. Can't imagine many people get much luck in that department and to be honest am amazed they try. Still worth using though.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Today I put an offer of a computer monitor on and within seconds I received an automated message. It was requesting the offer of a PC system for his son who needed to up-grade. This has confirmed my thoughts that there are now a set of IT folk who are snapping up any laptops/desktops within seconds, so they can sell them on ebay or whatever. I initially thought of reporting them to the local sites, but as the mods don't moderate anymore and in the past have done nothing about such folk, then there's no point. I feel it's a shame, because there are lots of folk who actually need stuff for themselves and are not just out to sell stuff on.

Comment

Reading all this confirms that I shall stay a FC virgin
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                      NO, don't.

This topic reminded me of Freecycle, so I put a wanted for Horse manure on our local site. I had three emails before the end of the day, and one delivered a load the following day for me, how can you possibly fault that.

The few times I've used Freecycle, I've always had a very good reaction. Not all freecycles are the same and not all transactions are. PMA.
                      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                        No, it's not all bad, you just have to prepare yourself for the timewasters.

I've NEVER had to go to the town dump, ever. We've got rid of packing boxes, broken panes of glass, old cr@ppy blinds, scuffed shoes, horrible vinyl flooring, offcuts of carpet, all manner of stuff. Someone wants it - it keeps it out of landfill

I've gotten more bottles, pots & jars than I could ever use
                        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 16-03-2011, 07:06 PM.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hum

*dips toe into cyber tip
                          aka
                          Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by Dottie View Post
                            Today I put an offer of a computer monitor on and within seconds I received an automated message. It was requesting the offer of a PC system for his son who needed to up-grade. This has confirmed my thoughts that there are now a set of IT folk who are snapping up any laptops/desktops within seconds, so they can sell them on ebay or whatever. I initially thought of reporting them to the local sites, but as the mods don't moderate anymore and in the past have done nothing about such folk, then there's no point. I feel it's a shame, because there are lots of folk who actually need stuff for themselves and are not just out to sell stuff on.
                            I just ignore them and give it to somebody else

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The favourite offer round here seems to be various different parts and accessories for computers and tvs. Great if that's what you want.
                              I got a shelving system and a piece of leftover vinyl flooring for my shed - (I resisted asking for curtains for the window!)
                              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                                If you just use it to get rid of your stuff, and set your membership to no emails, you won't be bothered by the posts.
                                If you do join with an e-mail address, and the group is Yahoo based, write to the mod address and ask themto set you to special notices, hey presto, no e-mails
                                Hmmmm... That's the reason I left our local group. Well, that and the fact that all there was on offer was baby stuff. Guess they breed well round 'ere...
                                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X