Fur and fir. A mild rant.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fur and fir. A mild rant.

Why are so many grapes posting about "Pink fur apple" potatoes?

They are "Pink Fir Apple".

I think I'll grow pee's, been's and sweat korn.

It's bad enough having a thirteen year old communicate wiv txt spk without finding keen gardeners saying they grow a non-existant variety, presumably bred by Ken as a love token for Barbie.
    Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
    Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
    I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Yes.

But this one does get up my nose a bit.
    Getting names right is important.
    Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
    Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
    I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Yes.

Hi Peter - I'm one of those lucky people who seem to have a talent for spelling. In fact at work instead of looking something up in the dictionary or on the computer spellcheck they ask me. I have to agree with you that if you are spelling variety names it is important to get it right - there are so many with slight variations and it makes all the difference. General spelling doesn't worry me too much, as long as you can make sense of what is said. I spell well, but I don't always type well - fingers on the wrong keys

Comment

Not everybody is great at spelling but I am sure we all make allowences for other peoples weeknesses.
        When i was growing up my mother always told me it was rude to correct anybody if they did or said something incorrect.
        I would like to say, I have always stuck by that rule.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

If you're trying to locate or buy something it's essential to be accurate with the spelling. As a member of a local natural history society it was impressed upon me that it's not just trying to sound posh that we use the latin names of wild flowers. So many have colloquial or regional names that we can's be sure we're talking about the same thing unless we use the latin.

Don't know about correcting people. If you don't they never learn. However, you don't want to make them feel stupid. It depends on who they are and what my relationship is with them.

Fur apple does sound odd doesn't it?

Flum
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Peter, I think the Vine is for everyone interested in GYO. I would hate anyone not to post for fear of having their spelling censured. I think as long as we know what is meant, in this situation, it doesn't matter at all.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I think we should give Peter the title of "Forum Punctuation Pixie" but I agree with him and I don't think any one on here would jump on a newbie in a cruel way. The standard of grammar, pronunciation, is very poor mainly due to stupid "pc". The one that is getting up my nose particularly is the use of the word "more" ie it's more wet instead of wetter.
              It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

Comment

Gee Whiz, I think it's late in the night to be getting into that kind of pedantry, Grandpa Dragonz. I don't think, in grammatical terms, there is anything wrong with "more wet". I think it would be equally correct to say
                wet wetter wettest or
                wet more wet most wet
                It's just a matter of stylistic preference. But maybe a real pedant knows better. Anyway, on a gardening site, I think it matters not a jot.

Comment

As Alice says its a gardening site people .Some people make mistakes (I know I do) from time to time. Remember at the end of the day its not open heart surgery - relax and enjoy lifes to short.
                  There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Absolutely Beefy ! What does any of it have to do with the state of the tomatoes - or the frost that's going to wipe out my camelias tomorrow.

Comment

Yes it would be nice if we were all word perfect and put our apostraphies in the right place and knew all the latin names for every plant and veg.But where would the fun be and where would it end .And most importantly would we have to ban LJs peastick on health and saftey or human rights grounds?
                      There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Blimey Peter you had me worried there for a while!

I new I'd mentioned PFA in one of the threads I replied to, so I've just spent a couple of minutes finding my reply to check my spelling!

Anyway, all is well with the world and PFA are exceedingly nice spuds!

My own personnal view is that there are good and bad spellers and some who get by like myself, but one thing brings them all together and thats GYO!!!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                          Yes.

Hello Peter
                          I agree with you!!!! speling is xxxxxly impporttant!!
                          Reggards
                          Don Vincenzo

Comment

LOL, I went to find some of those spuds - fancied growing pink fluffy ones!! Keep your sense of humour folks
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

Some folks do have problems with spelling, Mr D is dyslexic, and spells as he speaks, which means he oft makes mistakes, but as long as folks can understand, then I dont really think it matters in a place where people are all united by an interest and would know what was meant. Me, I spell very well, but my fingers cant keep up with my brain when typing, so often make typos, its not that I mean to do it, just that it happens!

Now, if it was something legal or work related, then spelling to me is extremely important, and txt spk is something I think should be banned! I believe it is now acceptable to use it in an examination????? WTF??? Are we really sure that we wish as a society to polute the language of Shakespere with such unadulterated slovenly slang!! Ok, talking in slang is something that we all do, and having a regional dialect is something I take a certain pride in, but to my mind writing is something else again!

Sorry, rant over!
                              Blessings
                              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                              Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                              Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                              On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X