Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herbal Remedies for Cat

Hi
    following the thread on herbal remedies for humans!!! can anyone recomend anything to put on my newly adopted rescue cats nose. He bashed it on the cat carrier when he was delivered by the rescue to my house, and everytime he eats or jumps on the window ledge (my poor seeds) or anything else a few months old cat does he knocks the scab off the end of his nose and consequently bleeds everywhere!!!
    Dont really want to stress him out by taking him to the vet as he as already been traumitised enough
    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Zinc and castor oil cream is quite good as it keeps the scab softer and less likely to knock off. I use it for all sorts of stuff round the horses. Olive oil will also make the scab more flexible if you don't have zinc and castor oil cream to hand. I think calendula cream can be used on open wounds but check the tube first as I am not certain.
    Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 20-03-2007, 10:47 AM.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

thanks shirley, have zinc & castor so will put some on

Comment

Hope it works and he settles in soon.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

This won't be popular with your cat, but I think that wearing the lampshade is the quickest way that the scab will heal or else the daft blighter will just lick any ointment off - assuming that he can't anyway just with his tongue!

Hope he settles in soon and gets better.

Comment

Won't like this either but it's a good idea to make sure that it doesn't get infected by washing a couple of times a day with saline solution on a bit of cotton wool or a clean cloth - vet got us to do this when our's cut his bad. Will sting like crazy and you do risk getting scratched!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I've heard it's not advisable to use products containing essential oils for
              felines as their metabolisms do not cope with such substances in the same way as many other animals or humans. Not sure why this is but I'm sure an internet search could bring up more info for you.
              All at once I hear your voice
              And time just slips away
              Bonnie Raitt

Comment

thanks for all the above, am trying the zinc and castor, will get some saline tomorrow, whats in that that might sting? thought it was just sterile water
                anyway Gizzi (cat) is not happy with me now so in for a penny in for a pound

Comment

salt water will do it hm
                  Yo an' Bob
                  Walk lightly on the earth
                  take only what you need
                  give all you can
                  and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

thanks ynb

Comment

Vaseline works well at softening scabs.
                      Orange peel will keep him off the window ledge.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonCole View Post
                        Vaseline works well at softening scabs.
                        Orange peel will keep him off the window ledge.
                        ...or foil.

Comment

If he keeps bumping it and it hurts he will soon learn not to do it. Animals are pretty good at looking after themselves, and sometimes we do more harm than good when we intervene

Comment

thanks all for your replies and suggestions, hopefully Gizzi will be scabless soon

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Mum View Post
                              thanks for all the above, am trying the zinc and castor, will get some saline tomorrow, whats in that that might sting? thought it was just sterile water
                              anyway Gizzi (cat) is not happy with me now so in for a penny in for a pound
                              Saline is just salty water, hence the stingy - you don't need to buy anything, just disolve some salt in warm water.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X