Budget - VED Rates rise

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget - VED Rates rise

Just thought I'd post this info seperately.

After looking at the info on directgov, the new VED rates are not even as "green" as they seem.

There seems to have been a general increase (by £5 in my case), but the really high rates of tax seem only to apply to cars with a CO2 emission of over 225 registered on or after 23 March 2006.

So, only if you bought a high emission car in the last 12 months are you really penalised.

What's the point? If you drive (for example) a Range Rover Sport that is just over 12 months old, you only seem to pay £190...

http://www.direct.gov.uk - Motoring link

Absolutely pointless....
    Last edited by OverWyreGrower; 22-03-2007, 09:34 AM.

Crete has mountains (lots) up to 8500ft lots of mountain tracks & villages along them 4 wheel drives taxed as luxury vehicle!& very few of them, the cretans still manage.
    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
    Brian Clough

Comment

The point, I think, is to put people off buying any more 4x4s, and to choose a more fuel-efficient car to park on the bike lanes
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I just think its another case of fashion spoiling it for people who need to use 4x4s and not many people can afford more than one car but need a car that is pratical for things appart from trips to work such as farmers, landscape gardeners, ,there is also kids that have ponies or boats and there are alot of parents who sacrifice alot so there kids can follow such sports We have a 4x4 because we go hot air ballooning, camping, the kids go fishing ( this wekend we were driving around the town collecting wheelbarrows stolen from the allotments and dumped!!)for many years we struggled with an estate car and after many repairs we bought a 4x4 but on the news reports they group all 4x4 owners with the picture of the female (sorry but it normally is ) in designer sunglasses driving through central London in her range rover sport and quite often talking on their mobile at the same time!!
        Last edited by ugly gourd; 22-03-2007, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that....I think they should scrap road tax. and stuff it all on fuel.

Then the more you use the more you pay.
          My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

well said nog, we have two cars as we both work in various locations in wales and the south west and know doubt will be paying higher road tax.
            it means we will end up charging our clients more for our services

Comment

I agree, it would be fairer to tax the fuel not the car itself. The "gas guzzlers" obviously use more fuel than the smaller cars, but you can't fairly tax on just owning a car - it depends on how much you use it, surely.

Comment

Its a mad system I got rid of my old Shogun V6 3000 Auto used to do about 12 to the gallon and as the valve stems had worn if left idling would blow out blue smoke when you drove away. But it always passed them MOT.

I replace it with a 1yr old Chevrolet Tacuma...a citroen picaso copy. 1600i does about 40 MPG but I still pay the same road tax.

I shold have bought another old Shogun.
                My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by NOG View Post
                  Its a mad system I got rid of my old Shogun V6 3000 Auto used to do about 12 to the gallon and as the valve stems had worn if left idling would blow out blue smoke when you drove away. But it always passed them MOT.

I replace it with a 1yr old Chevrolet Tacuma...a citroen picaso copy. 1600i does about 40 MPG but I still pay the same road tax.

I shold have bought another old Shogun.
                  Get yourself a peugeot 106 NOG, 50 mpg, low tax and I still got a square coffee table and a pine blanket box in it with the seats down.
                  Carries loads of manure beautifully, plus the suspension is fine, despite taking my disabled 25 stone neighbour to the doctors!
                  Last edited by madderbat; 22-03-2007, 09:19 PM. Reason: missing s

Comment

***RANT ALERT***
                    You've all got it wrong! B liars government isn't a charity. The idea of these crazy rules is to screw us for as much money as possible. Nothing whatsoever to do with being GREEN!
                    ***End of rant***
                    Sorry about that but I feel better now........I think.
                    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                      ***RANT ALERT***
                      You've all got it wrong! B liars government isn't a charity. The idea of these crazy rules is to screw us for as much money as possible. Nothing whatsoever to do with being GREEN!
                      ***End of rant***
                      Sorry about that but I feel better now........I think.
                      OOOH! moan moan moan BUT quite right!
                      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                      Brian Clough

Comment

Hi

As NOG said, at the moment the system is crazy.
                        The top rate VED should be on a yearly escalator like we used to have with petrol, any vehicle over 2000cc should pay £4000 not £400, anything less than 1000cc should be £100 with a sliding scale for the other inbetween. And fuel needs to go way higher too. And while I am on the subject, why tax vehicle fuel but not aviation fuel?

If there is such a thing as global warming, it is just a question of how quickly the green taxes rise. And you never know peoples health might even improve if they do more walking and breath in cleaner air.

Tiger

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          The point, I think, is to put people off buying any more 4x4s
                          Exactly...
                          The law will hang the man or woman
                          Who steals the goose from off the common
                          But lets the greater thief go loose
                          Who steals the common from the goose
                          http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NOG View Post
                            Thanks for that....I think they should scrap road tax. and stuff it all on fuel.

Then the more you use the more you pay.
                            I think I agree with NOG!!!
                            The law will hang the man or woman
                            Who steals the goose from off the common
                            But lets the greater thief go loose
                            Who steals the common from the goose
                            http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse