The Economy

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Economy

According to the budget, small businesses will be taxed more and larger corporations will be taxed less. To me this seems like we are encouraging overseas investment from global companies and rejecting entrepreneurship. As I have no grasp of economics, what will this mean?

I have an inability to understand economics too but I would suggest that this will lead to more of our entrepreneurial peeps vanishing abroad. Sad to say I read the budget in a similar way to you - seems a shame that we are not encouraged to try anything new here any more. I will probably still start my own business though.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

[QUOTE=SimonCole;80596]According to the budget, QUOTE]

... I assume you mean "according to one particular interpretation of the budget"

Can I ask which one?
      Last edited by johnty greentoes; 23-03-2007, 07:23 AM.
      The law will hang the man or woman
      Who steals the goose from off the common
      But lets the greater thief go loose
      Who steals the common from the goose
      http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

I never pay attention to the budget...I just accept that every year I get poorer!
        Policy-makers have their noses glued to the short-term, and they find it hard to ask longterm questions. The UK is rich, so why can't we afford to clean the streets or get the litter out of the parks? Why can't we afford full care for the mentally ill, or enough hospital beds?
        A great little book on the economy/money is The Little Money Book - its short, accessible (for gardeners there's also the Little Earth Book etc)
        http://www.fragile-earth.com/money/
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          I never pay attention to the budget...I just accept that every year I get poorer!
          Policy-makers have their noses glued to the short-term, and they find it hard to ask longterm questions. The UK is rich, so why can't we afford to clean the streets or get the litter out of the parks? Why can't we afford full care for the mentally ill, or enough hospital beds?
          A great little book on the economy/money is The Little Money Book - its short, accessible (for gardeners there's also the Little Earth Book etc)
          http://www.fragile-earth.com/money/
          Couldn't agree more Two Sheds. I run a small business, and in my experience, the chancellor "giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other"
          All at once I hear your voice
          And time just slips away
          Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Originally posted by SimonCole View Post
            ....small businesses will be taxed more and larger corporations will be taxed less.....
            Yes.

Originally posted by johnty greentoes View Post
            ... I assume you mean "according to one particular interpretation of the budget"

Can I ask which one?
            Large business has their corp tax reduced from 30p to 28p (over 250 employees), small business corp tax rises from 20p to 22p.

Comment

Originally posted by johnty greentoes View Post

Can I ask which one?
              The description Gordon Brown gave in parliment... like Hazel said.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                Yes.

Large business has their corp tax reduced from 30p to 28p (over 250 employees), small business corp tax rises from 20p to 22p.
                Originally posted by SimonCole View Post
                The description Gordon Brown gave in parliment... like Hazel said.
                Point taken. Sounds a bad move to me and yet another nail in the coffin as har as my membership of the Labour Party is concerned.

Power to the little man.

Comment

"The UK is rich, so why can't we afford to clean the streets or get the litter out of the parks" Quote from Two Sheds.

I don't know about the rest of it, but for me the question is, why are people throwing their rubbish in the street and parks. Why do we need to pay to clean up after these louts.
                  Last edited by Alice; 23-03-2007, 08:29 PM. Reason: Make quote clear.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Pointless mess and damage always winds me up, can never see why people can't make that very tiny effort to keep things nice.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      Pointless mess and damage always winds me up, can never see why people can't make that very tiny effort to keep things nice.
                      I think a deeprooted sense of disconnection is at the heart of this. Disconnection from the planet and disconnection from fellow citizens.

None of this is an excuse however.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...